Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
SBF TTFMF
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna get an 86 mustang which I plan to spray. They have forges pistons so it should be ok for a little go juice...my questions are: how much should I spray? I will only hit it occassionaly and mostly beat on it off the juice. I was thinking a 200 shot? What else is good to have when running nitrous besides the kit and a bottle warmer? I will need colder plugs I know...but what about ignition? Box? Etc..thanks guys. BTW- combo will be trick flow 170cc heads/ race ported stock intake/ custom crower blower cam.

·
[email protected] JoeCool Performance
2,076 Posts
Is this the stock motor from 86? Keep in mind that 86 blocks have no valve reliefs on pistons so running the heads and cam won't work unless you fly cut them. 87-93 blocks have small reliefs but they won't clear much either. As far as ignition I run the Mallory 685 and love it. Cheaper than a MSD digital 6 and has a built in window switch which is great for nitrous and 15 degrees retard rather than 9.9 with the dig 6. I used to run a stock shortblock with probe flattop pistons and sprayed 225 - 250 constantly and it never broke besides the occasional head gaskets(cheap felpro autozone specials) and once it damaged the head but never any shortblock failures.

·
SBF TTFMF
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info...I meant to say nitrous cam up top...but I'm looking to keep a stock bottom end. Notching pistons is fine with me, just don't wanna spend 1000 on new pistons/rings/balancing is all.

·
Registered
626 Posts
We ran a stock shortblock with some edelbrock performer headsand a stage 1 tfs cam for over 5 years on an .085 jet in a edelbrock rpm plate. Never once did we have any problems with the shortblock. It ran 6.30's and we could beat on it all night. Them were the good ole days.

·
Registered
626 Posts
an .085 jet is somewhere in the 200-225 area

·
Registered
626 Posts
It weighed 2800 with driver, had a 4.30 gear, and a c-4 transmission. with a 10 PTC nitrous converter. It was maxed out in the 1/8th. But it still went high 6.40's with a 3.73 gear.

·
SBF TTFMF
4,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ha, I'm getting a tune from a really good tuner around my area. He's got a 540rwhp daily driver that runs 10.40s. He's also a suspension guru, that's where I'm gonna get my shit Straightened out. I just hope I hit at least 420rwhp on the spray..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts