Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every mofo here knows that the late, great Steve McQueen was a bike guy and a car guy. He owned a lot of shit, and it comes up for sale one in a while. You probably don't know, however, that In the spring of 1969, McQueen went to the Inter-Am motocross races (which was a series of four races over several weekends) in California, where he saw Swedish motocross rider Bengt Aberg (who sadly passed away earlier this year) compete on his new two-stroke Husqvarna Viking 360. In those days motocross was dominated by the Euros; the USA guys were pretty new to the sport at the time and got their asses beat with regularity. McQueen was blown away by how good Aberg and the Husky were, and right after watching the race in Santa Cruz, he made an offer for the Swedish rider’s bike, which Aberg's team and Aberg accepted; the Swede finished the rest of the season on another machine. (Aberg went on to win the world championship on a Husqvarna in 1969 and 1970, by the way.) This is that same bike. The California ownership transfer form, dated February 18, 1969, indicates it was purchased by McQueen’s production company, Solar Productions.

Like I said, McQueen collected a shit ton of cars and bikes, over 200 motorcycles, in fact, during his life, so it isn’t uncommon to see his bikes up for auction. In fact, the 400 Husky Cross that he rode “On Any Sunday” crossed the block for a resounding $230,500 at Bonhams in 2018. I wonder what this one will go for...? :unsure:

Some premium shit at this Sotheby's auction... Monterey 2021 | RM Sotheby's

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Mecum Monterey sold a bunch of his bikes a few years back, I live here on the Peninsula and if you've never experienced "Car Week"...well then you haven't lived!

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
buddy's dad raced husky's and had a 360 that looked like this. They were the cream of the crop back then, and whooped ass at the time.

·
FORD
3,750 Posts
I saw some of his bikes get auctioned at Mecum Monterey, during car week, a few years ago. I may have some pics of them.

·
Registered
39,982 Posts
I loved Steve McQueen but I think I'd rather buy a restored Husky 360 from a nobody. It'd be a lot cheaper than $230,000.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts