Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
T/S 368E
33,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm out looking for decent 6.7 crew cab to replace my old '02 ext cab 7.3.

There are tons of F250's, will a modern F250 have issues with my 12,000 lbs very tall triple tag.
I'm running out of time and might have to settle :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Don't want to dick around adding air bags.
I have the hockey stick style bars I've used for decades.

A buddy did mention Thurs to start looking at Dodgeso_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
I know absolutely nothing about CUmmings and which years or millage to avoid??

·
Registered
369 Posts
A guy I know just traded in his 6.7 F250 for a new Ram 2500 diesel. His comments the other day were his 6.7 felt a lot faster driving around and more peppy, but when he pulls his big travel trailer (he said it weighed over 11,000lbs loaded that the ram got better gas mileage by almost 2-3mpg and felt like it just cruised better, had less down shifting etc at cruise speed. Ive never had a 6.7, ive pulled with a 6.0 several times and Ive owned a 7.3 F250 that had a tune, bigger intercooler, etc and it was a beast. I pulled a very heavy all steel heavy equipment trailer with a large John Deere back hoe with it to job sites and it handled it just fine. I never knew the weight, but it had to be damn near 15k or more Id guess. That truck had a lot of work done to it though, i bought it from my old boss who bought it new and redid all suspension, upgraded everything for towing with brake controller, rear leafs and bags, transmission was gone through and built stronger then he had all the motor and performance stuff done. That truck ran high 12’s low 13’s in the 1/4 consistently. It could of pulled a house down the street it felt like lol

·
Registered
9,038 Posts
I dont tow that heavy but my 2017 F250 has 85k miles of towing a 40ft Exiss with living quarters. Zero issues,plenty of power. Mileage sucks.As you know every brand will have issues.

·
Registered
510 Posts
i do say if you buy a 6.7 and plane on upgrades to it like dpf delete get it done fast company that sell that stuff are discontinuing thing for performance upgrades for diesels

·
T/S 368E
33,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I wasn't planning on doing anything to it until something broke.
I'm just having trouble finding a decent truck in my budget, and started expanding my search.
I was hoping to find a 6.7 crew cab dually, but I don't think that will happen, and there are plenty of F250 6.7's with a SRW.

So I figured I would get some opinions on what year Dodge & Chevy to avoid in case they have a lemon model like the 6.4 which I know not to get, even if it's free!!!

·
Registered
9,038 Posts
Dodges have their fair share of transmission issues, and the Chevys had a few more CP4 issues than the Fords due to lack of a lift pump.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Dodges have their fair share of transmission issues, and the Chevys had a few more CP4 issues than the Fords due to lack of a lift pump.
Wasnt it the older dodges had the trans issues though? I thought that was resolved on newer models, but I guess I dont pay close enough attention to know.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Limits on the 250 will be the payload. When you hook that trailer up it's a lot of hitch weight plus all the stuff in the bed and cab. My 17 F350 SRW with the 6.7 has been a great tow rig. Nowhere near the trailer weight as you but still a heavy combo overall. 13.5mpg from BC down to CA a couple of times, the 55mph limit in CA really helps. The new 10 speeds apparently help with mileage but there have been a few issues.

·
T/S 368E
33,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks for the info.
The bed will be empty with my current trailer.
Hoping I can afford a 5th wheel this winter, then this would be used for local events only and a RV of some kind for traveling.

So if I do have to settle I'm hoping the F250 and my old hockey stick set up will work out.
I'm more worried about next year if I can afford a 5th wheel.

If the country tanks, and my stocks all crash I won't be buying anything or going anywhere.

·
Registered
23,166 Posts
Limits on the 250 will be the payload. When you hook that trailer up it's a lot of hitch weight plus all the stuff in the bed and cab. My 17 F350 SRW with the 6.7 has been a great tow rig. Nowhere near the trailer weight as you but still a heavy combo overall. 13.5mpg from BC down to CA a couple of times, the 55mph limit in CA really helps. The new 10 speeds apparently help with mileage but there have been a few issues.

Nice setup cam you open the door on the camper top with the trailer hooked up?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Yes, there is a lot of space. Step on the trailer tongue, then bumper and right into the camper. When unhooked I have steps that lock on.

mrdragster1970, if you're thinking 5th wheel I would definitely be looking at a 350. The pin weight on most decent sized 5th wheels will be over the rear axle payload rating of the 3/4 ton.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I've had 2013, 2015, and 2018 gmc/chevy duramax, all pulled really well 32' bumper pull, and that allison is a sweet piece. I have a buddy with a 2016 GMC swb pulling a 44' living 1/4's trailer with goosneck extender and he says it pulls it great. He did bust out his rear window before getting the longest extender he could find. A tapered nose trailer would fix that issue.

·
T/S 368E
33,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I'm not getting a 5th wheel until I can afford a toter.
This trailer is fine for now, but I'm hoping at some point I can bring the bracket & T/S car on the same trip and hit multiple races.
I'm a 100% cash only kind of guy, so if I can't pay for it, I don't deserve it.

·
Registered
23,166 Posts
Yes, there is a lot of space. Step on the trailer tongue, then bumper and right into the camper. When unhooked I have steps that lock on.

mrdragster1970, if you're thinking 5th wheel I would definitely be looking at a 350. The pin weight on most decent sized 5th wheels will be over the rear axle payload rating of the 3/4 ton.
Is that Camper Top sold at Ford dealerships?

·
T/S 368E
33,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

A slide in would be a nice upgrade but most of the 250's I'm finding are the 6 footers :(
How would everyone fit with 3 guys in yours??

·
Registered
900 Posts
Is that Camper Top sold at Ford dealerships?
They were made by Livin' Lite but built in a partnership with Ford. They actually have a Ford VIN on the back on a stamped tag. Ford designed the front cap so it matches the windshields of the Ford trucks. The interior seating and window treatments are the same materials as the Ford seating and have stitched logos. The exterior paint colors are all Ford colors. As my truck is the 6'-9" bed I wanted a short camper so I wouldn't have potential contact with the trailer. Ideally the tailgate would have stayed on but the camper is a couple inches too long.

I bought it for solo trips with the car or quick fishing getaways etc. The Mrs will NOT go away in it, it's too small compared to our travel trailer. With a queen sized bed, fridge, stove, sink, wet bathroom, microwave/convection oven, AC and a TV it is more than I need but so far it has made trips so much easier....and cheaper with no hotels. Unfortunately with the border closed it didn't get used last year and more than likely this year with the car.

·
Registered
23,166 Posts
They were made by Livin' Lite but built in a partnership with Ford. They actually have a Ford VIN on the back on a stamped tag. Ford designed the front cap so it matches the windshields of the Ford trucks. The interior seating and window treatments are the same materials as the Ford seating and have stitched logos. The exterior paint colors are all Ford colors. As my truck is the 6'-9" bed I wanted a short camper so I wouldn't have potential contact with the trailer. Ideally the tailgate would have stayed on but the camper is a couple inches too long.

I bought it for solo trips with the car or quick fishing getaways etc. The Mrs will NOT go away in it, it's too small compared to our travel trailer. With a queen sized bed, fridge, stove, sink, wet bathroom, microwave/convection oven, AC and a TV it is more than I need but so far it has made trips so much easier....and cheaper with no hotels. Unfortunately with the border closed it didn't get used last year and more than likely this year with the car.

Yeah, not much for camper options with a 250, especially with the trailer. There is no way I would use this with 3 guys, just way too small.
Thanks for the information that's very nice inside!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts