Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just put on new headers on my 555 in my 72 chevelle and stock steering shaft wont work...hits/rubs headers bad...what steering shaft do you recommend to use...manual steering box/stock column.....72 chevelle ss thanks for help in advance

·
Registered
683 Posts
dent the headers or reroute steering shaft with u-joints. better yet, put a TRZ rack in it and route the steering shaft through the frame/cross member and that will clear any header combination.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Headers should have been built to clear.
^^This^^

Whose headers? My big ass 2-3/8" tubes on my tall deck cleared my factory shaft fine, but they were custom built..

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
At the point you are at now, either have a new shaft built to clear, or dent the header tube some(crude, i know) The right way would be get the proper headers. Lemons would be my recommendation. My 2 1/4 to 2 3/8" stepped Lemon's cleared with plenty of room to spare.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know about lemons now...too late.....they are hooker super comps..i know,i know but i need the car going..i just hate to dent a new set of headers but the steering shaft wont work, i will have to dent the sh-t out of a couple tubes...same way my 468 with hooker comp headers was(steering shaft rubbed them headers also) but i guess i will just try an make a new shaft.oh well,..then,gonna get my other chevelle 69 chevelle ss 396 375 hp 4 spd going again been a while...thanks for opinions and had to laugh at bfh!!!! NO HAMMER!!!

·
Registered
683 Posts
i have those same shitty headers and i had to dent some primaries. very old pic of my set-up but i am using a flaming river column with their double-D shaft and u-joints to a manual box. i scrapped all that bullshit except for the flaming river column(very nice piece) for a TRZ rack now. anyways, hope this helps..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts