Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about making some steel targets for our home range and am considering steel. Steel would give us instant feedback---"CLANK" (hit) or miss rather than looking through binoculars and constantly changing papers. We shoot pretty regularly and I think it would be worth doing.

Anyone have any input on steel targets, plans/designs, placement, range distances, calibers, etc? BTW, we shoot ARs and pretty much .22-LR to .45 ACP, 7mm Mag, etc. Thanks in advance for any help you may provide.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Dont use mild steel, friend made some 3/8 mild steel swinging tagets that he ruined the first try with his deer rifle. Must use AR plate, not sure what grade. Many places sell pre cut plates.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Have some 3/8" thick AR500 plates. The link below is what we have.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000131&dir=1020|

As they say....do not use your rifles closer than 100 yds. For hand guns, its not going to hurt the plates, but more of a safety thing. We deisgned out supports so the plate hangs at an angle to make certain the rounds are deflected into the ground. also spray them with a quick drying white primer...produces a nice witness mark.

Its definately pretty cool to set them out past 300 and 400 yds...and wait for the "plink". We may try to kill one this weekend with the AR50!! LOL But we are going to set it out 700+ yds, so we will see.

I will take a pic of the targets for ya so you can see how we mounted them.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Steve, we are you shooting 700+ yards in mi?
We have a couple places up north where we can get out that far. Mostly power line clearings in the middle of nowhere. We make sure that we setup on higher ground shooting either slightly downward, or at the very least set the targets at the middle or base of a hill. There are plenty of places to get 500 yds, but over that we have to be very careful. We find these areas while on ATV trips or scouting for new hunting spots. Sometimes have to take the quads because the trucks will never make it up the hills in order to get to these places..LOL

·
Impeach obama
6,174 Posts
I gotta get a quad and start scouting public land, I've only looked at washtenaw sportsmens club, they have a 600yd range

·
Registered
199 Posts
I gotta get a quad and start scouting public land, I've only looked at washtenaw sportsmens club, they have a 600yd range
I would like to check that place out....driving 4+ hours to go shooting is not fun....so I try to squeeze in some gun time during other north bound trips.

Yeah the quads help. You can go just about anywhere....I added sealed military dry boxes to the front racks for holding ammo and my pistol. I also have a sealed case for my rifles...gotta watch the path width with the rifle case mounted though..lol

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to everyone for their input. I really like that set-up of yours, swebb. We won't be shooting nearly as far as you but typically anywhere from 20' (handguns) to 200-300 yds (rifles). If some Zombie really wants me and he's beyond that range, I'd be gone before he could close the gap...LOL

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
Be careful shooting the same plates for rifles and pistols. Buddy of mine was shooting steel one day and had a richochet come back through his arm into his chest. Not a good thing.

They had dimpled the target with an AR and then shot it with a .40 up close, the dimple sent the round right back at him.

·
Registered
155 Posts
swebb.... I dont recommend aiming a 50 call bullet @ such a thin plate, not with the setup u have. I've never shot a big round like that. But I have got to play with a buddies 7mm-338L. @ 650 yards it was putting some rather good marks(about 5/16" deep) on a 1.25" thick round plate. He wouldnt even think about shooting it w/ his 338AM(based of the 408 cheytac case) pushing 265gr rbbts around 3400fps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts