Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
I like IceCream
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys........looking for some opinions on some rockers. Cam lobes are done, and trying to decide on some rockers. SBC, 23° pump gas deal. Going to use steel shaft mounted rockers. T&D, Jesel, or Crower. I was running the T&D aluminum stuff, and was very happy. But we did some different stuff with the heads, so an offset change was in order. And now that the guy designing the lobes is done, he wants steel rockers.

Will be using Ti valves, cam is in the .850 lift range. 8500rpm range. I have talked to the builder, (Tom 3V Performance) and we have pretty much decided what we are going to use.....but I would like to hear what you guys think. Thanks for the time................

Just so we are clear, speak from experience. I like the T&D aluminum stuff, but I wasn't very impressed by the steel stuff.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I've been running Crower stainless steel shaft rockers for several years with very good results on my old ~730 Hp SBC combo. The new 15 deg. SBC combo is wearing Crower SS shafts as well.

Very pleased from a standpoint of quick delivery and a quality product.

Jason G.

·
I like IceCream
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What was the lift, rpm, offset, and ratio's.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Jake, ask the man who did the valvetrain design... it's not the choice of the guys on the net

·
I like IceCream
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bret.................read the post, we have our mind pretty much made up. I am just bored and wanted to start a thread :)

Maybe I will order all three, and spin them and see which one works the best so I can give a good answer.

You have an opinion or was that it????

·
I like IceCream
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bret, what have you seen on your Spin Tron?

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Speaking in general terms, “Design, Mass, and Material” are the main criteria of what you are asking about and all of those are application specific. If it becomes apparent that a particular rocker is more stable at a higher speed than the others tested and will “live” for the required period of time, then you’ve accomplished your task. Overall, my experience has been good with Jesel.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
You wan't get a steel Jesel thats offset only straight up tried to order them for my heads and they wouldn't make them and all I run is Jesel try t&d and see if they will make them.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I have run some of the Jesel steel rockers,honestly don't think there any better than the aluminum stufff.

·
I like IceCream
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have run some of the Jesel steel rockers,honestly don't think there any better than the aluminum stufff.

In what way are you saying....you break some? Did you spin them? One thing to keep in mind, this thing will be a street engine, 3000 to 4000 miles per year.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
In what way are you saying....you break some? Did you spin them? One thing to keep in mind, this thing will be a street engine, 3000 to 4000 miles per year.
Street driven go for it cant hurt anything!!!! Only thing I here about the steel rockers is they cause alot more valve train harmonics at the higher engine speeds and I know cup uses them but thats what I still here and I am sure some will disagree!!!!!

·
I like IceCream
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I meant did he spin them on the Spin Tron. What differences did he see?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Never broke one. My stuff has never been on a spintron and honestly I dont think I want to.LOL I have run both on the same engine and I just dont think hey are worth the money.

My Valvetrain is aggresive. I think if you have the geometry correct it wont matter.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Jake, honestly I don't need to see the spintron on something like that... I vote for a Crower stainless due to the duty cycle advantage of steel. The ones that will give you the best performance will have the lowest MOI and that you could test off the Spintron. For what you are doing if the parts a light, the pushrods are big and you don't go for some big area lobe and don't over spring it you can get 10,000miles easy on it, or more. Just had a customer tell me that when they rebuilt his lifters they said they looked perfect at 8,500miles, springs are still perfect as well.... and this time he's upgrading to a 3/8ths pushrod. Street stuff doesn't have any acceleration for 95% of the miles so if your not a hammer head it is EASY to make live.

Bret

·
I like IceCream
11,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bret, this lobe was designed for this engine, it is mine. Not a catalog grind. I am really not sure what it looks like. Acceleration will be quick. ALL the rockers I am talking about are steel. Tom wants steel rockers so aluminum isn't really an option. I was looking at opinions, because if you have seen the 3 brands that I mentioned, they are considerably different.

I am sure you are talking about David's engine. His cam/head combo is a little different that what we are up to. But his car does run well. No doubt. Did he get that piston issue figured out?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Bret.................read the post, we have our mind pretty much made up. I am just bored and wanted to start a thread :)

Maybe I will order all three, and spin them and see which one works the best so I can give a good answer.

You have an opinion or was that it????
Now that would be a cool comparison!!

·
Registered
5,657 Posts

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I think any of the choices would work fine. My personal experiecne has been with Jessel and T&D

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
Bret, this lobe was designed for this engine, it is mine. Not a catalog grind. I am really not sure what it looks like. Acceleration will be quick. ALL the rockers I am talking about are steel. Tom wants steel rockers so aluminum isn't really an option. I was looking at opinions, because if you have seen the 3 brands that I mentioned, they are considerably different.

I am sure you are talking about David's engine. His cam/head combo is a little different that what we are up to. But his car does run well. No doubt. Did he get that piston issue figured out?
#1 factor of acceleration is RPM.... people tend to forget that because when looking at valvetrains comparitively you look at them at the same RPM. As I have said before I really don't think 99% of the motors out there need custom lobes, or need to go crazy on the lobe area or acceleration to make power. The more I play with the more I see that reinforced. Valve events and combinations make power.... but that's why ya'll have the spintron. Should be pretty cool to see how it turns out.

The issue with the 3 brands is the cost on the steel pieces from Jesel and T&D are going to be a LOT more money.

David did get the pistons figured out and checked all of his piston to valve clearance yesterday. He just has a simple 23° headed 383 street motor that moves that heavy car pretty well... nothing real exotic, hell I think the lift on that deal if I remember right is only in the .675" range.... that's nothing for a Tool Room spring. My job on his deal was the valvetrain, manifold porting now and advice here and there.

Bret

1 - 20 of 52 Posts