·
Registered
9,152 Posts
I cut up this....

T 1.jpg

T 23.jpg

T 29.jpg

T 31.jpg

I also have about another 500 lbs of sheet metal and such....
I guess my timing will be good on this one.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I just bought wire mesh for shop project.
5' x 10' 6"x6" wire mesh 6 gauge.
Only 1 place within 80 miles of Charleston SC
Had it. And I bought what they had.
Every other place said it could be months before they see it again.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Right now one of the gm plants is Michigan is down this week and next for sure due to chip issues. Also the Ford plant that makes the transit vans is down this week. Those two plants are my employers biggest customers. Really sucks. We were told to expect random lay offs for the better part of the year
Well that sucks..... good luck!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I built a new house last year and managed to finish before there were any shortages or price increases. I had planned on a new shop this year and when I priced the steel I couldn't do it. I will hold on to my money and try again next spring.
Brian

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Your gona regrets it!
Yeah? Why is that?
It was for sale. There were no responses. I have no title, it was lost. The registration was 2 years delinquent. It had a parking ticket on it and had body damage not visible in the pictures.

·
time to go racing yet ?
36,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Fuuuuuggggg.....

I am in the middle of pricing out 4 30x150 self store buildings. I bet its going to be fucking ugly.
coil is pricey, i buy alot of flat sheets of galvanized and its basically double in cost...... the ribbed panel the pole barn guys use was around 1.80ft few weeks ago it was 2.90ft

·
Registered
21,381 Posts

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
83,083 Posts
I manage a small metal stamping operation. We buy apx 20,000-30,000#s of coiled steel a month along w/ many other materials. All our suppliers are telling us prices will continue to climb higher & never drop back to what it was in 2019.
The availability of raw materials is also a huge problem right now. Low carbon steel 1008-1010 is the hardest to get & most steel stampings are made w/ LCS.
Hopefully American steel

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I’ll have to go look at what we are paying for materials. I didn’t think it has gone that crazy. I know it is up. We buy a lot of aluminum and ductile iron castings plus A36, aluminum, 12L, 303, 416, and 17-4 in bars. I’ll report back with what I see.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I just pulled up a few pre cut material we ordered in the last few weeks. $9 vs 7.50 last year, $1.31 vs 1.05 LY, $11.55 vs $8 LY.
Aluminum castings haven’t changed much. $231 vs 220. Ductile iron casting $41 vs 31.
looks like the sheet type material is what’s getting hit the most?

·
time to go racing yet ?
36,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
looks like the sheet type material is what’s getting hit the most?
yes coiled stuff is the biggest hit..... i buy alot of flat sheets of galvanized, if i recall last year i was paying 40.00 sheet for 18g 4x8 now im around 90.00 sheet and this is with a ferguson hvac dealer, one of the biggest suppliers for galvanized material in the area. they typically have 30+ coils on the floor at any given time, but they have a hard time getting just a few coils a week as they are only allowed xxx amount of tons per month.

im sure sooner or later aluminum and others will catch up

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Hopefully American steel
mostly American made steel or it is from canada. A lot of the copper we buy is from Germany. When you buy large amounts of raw material sometimes you do not have a choice. Right now it is get what you can or shut the lights off & go home...

Reactions: 79540
21 - 40 of 48 Posts