Ribeye marinated

·
Tony McKellar
4,812 Posts
Over very hot coals with hickory chips.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
I like mine to be a Porterhouse, about 1 1/2 inches thick. If I'm paying that much for meat, I want it to taste like steak, just a little salt and pepper for me. Cook it hot and fast, almost burnt on the outside and red on the inside but hot. I have nothing against a good rib eye or better yet a Saratoga cut. That's a rib eye with the bone in. I think the bone adds real steak flavor.
I always think back to the very best steak I ever had. It was grilled on a metal refrigerator shelf over a bucket of hot corn cobs at the end of a row of corn we just picked. I'm not sure whether it was we was just god awful hungry, the fresh air or the home grown cow butchered on the porch. Throw a couple potatoes wrapped in foil on to them cobs and slice up some of the last of them home grown tomatoes, and some sweet tea. It don't get no better than that. The bad thing is climbing back on that corn picker after with a full belly.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cook it hot and fast, almost burnt on the outside and red on the inside but hot.

This is where I'm at. I like a rib-eye or strip, about 1.5" thick (always have to have them cut, nobody packages them like that), rub on some Tony-C's. Cook it like Bubstr said.

Funny you mention about wanting it to taste like steak. I have no use for steak sauce. My mom-in-law..........if there's no steak sauce, ketchup will do just fine. It kills me.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
This is where I'm at. I like a rib-eye or strip, about 1.5" thick (always have to have them cut, nobody packages them like that), rub on some Tony-C's. Cook it like Bubstr said.

Funny you mention about wanting it to taste like steak. I have no use for steak sauce. My mom-in-law..........if there's no steak sauce, ketchup will do just fine. It kills me.
If someone asks for steak sauce for a steak I cooked, they will not be invited back for dinner.

John,,you're right about the cut. Most steaks are cut to thin to cook correctly. I have an old charcoal grill and use only "Cowboy Brand" Hardwood Lump Charcoal,,they sell it at Home Depot,,I wait until the coals are red hot and the rub the steaks with melted butter then grill for 5 mins per side, take them off , let them "rest" for 10mins,,load your plates ,slap them back on the grill for 3mins per side and start eating.

Another thing I have is a Jacarding Machine,,they sell them at high end chef supply stores. Mine is the 48 blade unit,,it will make the toughest, cheap cut of meat tender.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Funny you mention about wanting it to taste like steak. I have no use for steak sauce. My mom-in-law..........if there's no steak sauce, ketchup will do just fine. It kills me.[/QUOTE]

Our youngest (19) started to put ketchup on a falet after it was grilled on the green egg. I took it away from him and told him to go to Mcdonalds if he need to put ketchup on it.
The ketchup was put up! Mom didn't like my method but I just couldn't take it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I marinate mine. Ive tried a variety of the "marinades" and the Jack Daniels is pretty good

however, some fresh garlic, olive oil and salt and pepper, maybe some red pepper flakes depending on the mood. and whatever cut I can afford.

Some times what I can afford dictates what I buy.

However I did just watch Myth Busters and they had some interesting ways of "tenderizing" a steak.

they used C-4............... no really!

A dryer filled with ball bearings

And a cannon

the dryer produced the best results and registered a 0.0 on the USDA " toughness" meter they put together. pretty neat.

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
delmonico on the grill with lea&per worstershire(spelling sucks)and a dash of lawrys season salt. leave it rare for me thanks. "knock off its horns, wipe its ass and serve." wife likes'em cremated.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Glad to see that some of youguys Know NOT!!! to put crap on a T-BONE-ribeye Ny Strip I been a meat cutter for thirty years and it just Blows my mind when people spend 12.00 + dollars a pound on Loin meat and then ask where is the steak sauce..
for me Filet migon is just hype "fancy Name" sure it's tender but has no damm flavor....
nest time you want a tasty flavorfull steak ask for Chuck Eyes
the most delightfull piece of meat IMO . you only get 3 -4 steaks from the loin and they come from between the animals shoulder and ribs..
Me myself much more prefer some lean short ribs on the grill they BLOW away any Porterhouse, Riibeye,Strip as far as flavor and tenderness. and I'll share something else..... allways ,allways look for marbling "the white lines on a steak" the more the better people think its fat and it IS but that cooks away and the FLAVOR STAYS.
90 % of the meat you get in supermarkets wether it be Angus or whatever! is Select meat meaning it's the cheapest quality NO marbling then you have Choice wich is pretty good and then there is Prime lots of Marbling and a tid bit of more information for you guys, Every time you ask for Prime Rib at the Suprmarket You are not really getting Prime what you are getting is Choice or even worse select meat....so in essence all your getting is a rib roast..

1 - 20 of 87 Posts