Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at making the change from a side slinger to a gear drive. Is there a gear drive that stands out above the rest? Or are they all in the same ball park for durability? The ProCharger F-1X-12RD has been out a while now, hasn't it? How does it rate compared to the rest? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying. Do you use one? I was hoping the Procharger version would get some good reviews, but when I search "gear drive" I really don't get much of anything.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Yes, been running the CDS drive about 4yrs now. There are several threads about differences in gear drives in this section that should give you all the info you need to make a decision. Biggest benefits to me of the CDS drive in particular are: 1) quality of maching and looks way above the rest 2) gear sets are cheap and can be bought at any circle track store, and 3) available accessories - fuel pump, oil pump, vacuum pump, alternator, etc. they have it.

Can't comment on the ProCharger drive. I'm sure it's a quality piece, just never seen one in person or have any first hand experience. I don't know how hard it is to change gear ratios or what the cost / availability of gear sets is. That would be my first point of research.

·
That guy...
8,810 Posts
Still stands... http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9137625&postcount=23

I guess everyone can simply come in and a post the name of the unit they run but that's not really objective...

I run a Chassisworks unit AND HERE'S WHY:

• The legs are all indexed for a press fit meaning they locate and hold together even without the bolts (though you need the bolts). This means that the drive doesn't have the ability to wobble or walk if the bolts aren't super tight.
  • It uses "pick up at the corner speed parts store" Winters quick change gear sets that you can buy from Summit all day long for $65.
  • It has a built in timing pointer... not clearanced for one, ONE ACTUALLY BUILT IN.
  • It has a built in crank trigger pick-up, again... not clearanced for one, ONE ACTUALLY BUILT IN.
  • It has a built in oil level indicator window.
  • It uses a stainless billet hub (not aluminum), that doesn't deflect or shear.
  • It uses bushings that last for a lot more than 10 runs (unlike some of the competitors).
  • It has both a crank speed drive AND a blower speed drive that mount using a standard 1" keyed mandrel.
  • It comes with the provisions built in to change motor platforms while using the same drive unit.
  • It comes with the provisions built in to change blower platforms while using the same drive unit.
  • It has a ton of encapsulated plug and play accessory drive options.
  • It's just so much damn billet, smoothed out sexyness :)

Nobody else making a drive is going to be able to list all of those bullets and if you really want a motor plate with it... Chassisworks has those too.

Happy shopping!

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,103 Posts
ALSTON UNIT IS THE BEST......JUST ASK STEVE JACKSON WHO PUT OVER 500 PASSES ON ONE...WITHOUT A HITCH

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
When I started running the ProCharger there was only one gear drive and it was the SuperCharger Store unit. Been running it for 10 gears without one issue. I've never really looked at the others that have come along, so can't say much about them.

Blessings..........Ron

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
When I started running the ProCharger there was only one gear drive and it was the SuperCharger Store unit. Been running it for 10 gears without one issue. I've never really looked at the others that have come along, so can't say much about them.

Blessings..........Ron
Yeah I've been running the same SuperCharger Store gear drive for the last 6yrs w/o any issues.

The SuperCharger Store invented the gear drive & the rest copied the design...

·
That guy...
8,810 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts