Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its a 3000# atv deal, low amperage.
battery is an optima blue top. it is labeled "starting" on the optima label on the battery.

i also have a "dual purpose" blue top optima in my mud truck, i could use, but then id have a starting battery getting beat up by a 10K winch all the time.

trying to save a buck, but dont want to kill a battery either.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Why do you need an aGM battery for your trailer?

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no reason other than i got the batteries for nothing from a friend who was upgrading to different batteries for his boat. apparently these would only run his trolley motor on his boat for about 4 hours, and he fishes all day.
i got them for the price of the core charge cause i couldnt find any batteries to turn in. he got some monster batteries that look like they are for a semi truck that run his trolley all weekend.

sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Probably 8D's, lol. They are cheaper than an AGM too. I would just use the blue top. To the best of my knowledge all blue tops were designed for dual purpose applications. And i think everyone already knows my opinion of Optimas. But if you got them cheap, might as well use it. I just wouldnt buy one new.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ive never seen one that was labeled starting either. the amps and reserve are just a few numbers smaller than on the dual purpose, but i bet in the real world they test the same.
ive got 20 bucks in 440 bucks worth of batteries. i cant bitch.

i do however, have a less than 2 year old yellow top that will not even click a starter. works a winch for a short time, headlights, horn, radio, etc.... but will not crank the truck. charges to 78% and quits. im sure its dead.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Who ever is in charge of marketing Optima should be given some award. Same with the guy from fiberglass pink. Both companies should be out of business by now. Optima has a guy bouncing around 4x4 sites doing damage control, it is priceless. You would think when the thread takers off, people would see lots of people having problems. But yet 6 months from now, same group will be complaining about their new battery.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Must be hit and miss with Optima QC. I've got two redtops 4 years old that work great...and I have a couple of friends that can't keep one 6 months.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive got a red top in my car that is probably 10-11 years old now. the sticker has peeled off, and the top is not red anymore. looks like a pair of faded red 80's jeans, but it can sit for a month and fire over no problem.

my dad hates them, and i know a lot of people moving away from them myself.

·
Peeing In Your Cheerios
8,512 Posts
i have a question...

what are people doing to charge their trailer battery? i would like to wire mine into my truck but dont know what size wire to use and if I need an isolator

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have a question...

what are people doing to charge their trailer battery? i would like to wire mine into my truck but dont know what size wire to use and if I need an isolator
im in the same boat. one question, 200 ways to do it.
going to tap a wire on the back of the alt and run it to the back of the truck and into the center pin on the 7 way. 6-8ga should be sufficient, but im no expert.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
No isolator need in most cases.

I would run a power wire from the front battery to the rear bumper, and use an Anderson connector.

You can also use the pin in the 7 way trailer plug.

Another possiblity for people that have the trailer sit between the weekends, is a possible solar panel. Further to this, if you keep the car in the trailer, have a battery/solar panel on it, we have tracking devices with alarm features on them.

If you are going to be working in the trailer and using the vehicle to power things while it is running, I would run 4ga wire. (or larger depending on the load)

·
Peeing In Your Cheerios
8,512 Posts
No isolator need in most cases.

I would run a power wire from the front battery to the rear bumper, and use an Anderson connector.

You can also use the pin in the 7 way trailer plug.

Another possiblity for people that have the trailer sit between the weekends, is a possible solar panel. Further to this, if you keep the car in the trailer, have a battery/solar panel on it, we have tracking devices with alarm features on them.

If you are going to be working in the trailer and using the vehicle to power things while it is running, I would run 4ga wire. (or larger depending on the load)

I only use my trailer a few times per year and i only have the winch. Is it a goos idea to run a 4ga wire and leave the truck running if i use the winch?

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
If that is the case it is probably a good idea to use a hand winch. You mount a battery on the trailer and it will not like that kind of lack of use. If you were using it a lot it would be a good idea to run the 4ga. But once a weekend I wouldnt worry about it. The winch would like the little higher voltage. But with thatkind of use, the extra wear and tear wont mean anything anyway.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a YellowTop that I am using for my trailer winch. I used it two years in my bracket Camaro, mostly without an alternator. Worked like a champ. Due to getting another car that came with two lead acid batteries installed, and the fact that AGMs can sit for a long time without discharging, I put it on my trailer. I used it all season, about 20 outings, at least, only charged it 2 or 3 times.
IMO, AGM makes a great winch battery, especially if you have one.
Pete.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Put the winch on the car. :)

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just an update. i have used the winch 6 times to get the car in and out, and i have put a charger on it everytime to make sure i have a charge before i head to the track and this blue top battery still shows a full charge. must not be straining it to bad. im very impressed at either the batteries ability or the low amp draw from the winch. either way its working great.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts