Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

when i go to start the car all that happens is the starter spins but will not engauge the flywheel. Could i have wired it wrong? its a SBF 302 ford starter. I have the starter cable going to the bottom big terminal and a jumper from the top terminal to the small terminal. Thanks

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
It is wired wrong. What is going to happen is it is going to stay engaged a split second too long after a start and tear your drive up. If this is a new install, and this is what is happening it is because you put the cable on the wrong big post of the solenoid. If it is an old install, you already blew the lcutches out of the drive. Need to have the big cable go to battery positive side of the fender wall solenoid. On the opposite side, run a 10 ga wire down to the small post the jumper is on, and remove the jumper.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Yep...what he said. The main cable going down to the starter needs to be Hot all the time. The fender mounted solenoid fires the starter solenoid. This is how the factory mini starters work. After market stuff like Power Masters... I just run a jumper and it works just fine.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is wired wrong. What is going to happen is it is going to stay engaged a split second too long after a start and tear your drive up. If this is a new install, and this is what is happening it is because you put the cable on the wrong big post of the solenoid. If it is an old install, you already blew the lcutches out of the drive. Need to have the big cable go to battery positive side of the fender wall solenoid. On the opposite side, run a 10 ga wire down to the small post the jumper is on, and remove the jumper.
So the cable goes on the top big post, what goes on the bottom big post? Thanks

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
big post big cable to hot side of battery.......small post to key crank .... but i think you got a 157 tooth flywheel and 164 tooth bell from what you are saying

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before I pulled the motor out the starter worked great. When I installed motor back, wired the starter back I tried to start it and the starter would only spin in place rather then extented and engauge with the flywheel. The more I think about it I think the pos cable is on the wrong big post. What you think? Thanks

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Instead of putting the small wire to the same small post as the small ingintion wire on the fender mount solenoid, move it ove to the opposite big post from the battery positive positive post on the fenderwall solenoid. The one not used in your diagrams. Otherwise the fenderwall solenoid is doing absolutely nothing, except use power for nothing.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Yep...what he said. The main cable going down to the starter needs to be Hot all the time. The fender mounted solenoid fires the starter solenoid. This is how the factory mini starters work. After market stuff like Power Masters... I just run a jumper and it works just fine.
The jumper cable will take years off the life span of the starter drives clutches, and the starters bearings/bushings.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
So the cable goes on the top big post, what goes on the bottom big post? Thanks
The bottom post should have a wire that is going into the barrel of the starter attached to it. Power in the top, solenoid engages, and allows power to come out the bottom and into the starter body.

·
Grizzly
45,815 Posts
Instead of putting the small wire to the same small post as the small ingintion wire on the fender mount solenoid, move it ove to the opposite big post from the battery positive positive post on the fenderwall solenoid. The one not used in your diagrams. Otherwise the fenderwall solenoid is doing absolutely nothing, except use power for nothing.
Thats the way i do it also ..but this it what i had to get him in the ballpark

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
The jumper cable will take years off the life span of the starter drives clutches, and the starters bearings/bushings.
This is the recommended way by Power Master.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

so put the small post wire to the big post cable going to the starter?

·
Billy438Stroker
5,634 Posts

You can also have a big wire running from your starter up to the 12V out of ur solenoid, nothing else hooked to this side....Leave all your hots on the other side of the solenoid as normal...Jumper the small wire where it plugs on the solenoid on the starter over to the big wire on the starter...It will crank faster...Have been running starters like this for years and work flawless...Just a note...Did you leave off your flex/spacer plate between the motor & trans ?

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
You can also have a big wire running from your starter up to the 12V out of ur solenoid, nothing else hooked to this side....Leave all your hots on the other side of the solenoid as normal...Jumper the small wire where it plugs on the solenoid on the starter over to the big wire on the starter...It will crank faster...Have been running starters like this for years and work flawless...Just a note...Did you leave off your flex/spacer plate between the motor & trans ?
No it doesnt crank faster as you have not changed anything that could possibily make it crank faster. And if you have the jumper wire you take years out of the lifespan of the drive clutches in the drive. So if the starter lasted five years, it would have last 10-12 years otherwise.

Green machine came wired that way from the factory, doesnt mean they had a clue what they were doing.

This is not coming from the experience of 10-20 starters, this coming from the cummilative experience of 1,000,000's of applications, and maybe 30,000 of my own. Dont mean to offend anyone by my bluntness.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
*no jumper lead between poss on the starter*

1.) Large cable from battery to post 1 (either post) on fenderwall starter.

2.) Large cable from post 1 on fenderwall solenoid to the large post on starter solenoid that has nothing on it, typically the top post.

3.) Ignition wire to small post on fenderwall solenoid small post marked "S"

4.) 10ga cable from large post 2 on fenderwall solenoid to the small post on the starters solenoid.

·
Billy438Stroker
5,634 Posts
I have mine ran the same way right now on a 15:1 compression motor....Tryed it both ways years ago' mine will turn almost twice faster wired that way...

·
Registered
48 Posts
RRRAAAYYY2 i'm just curious how the jumper shortens the life of the starter. I have had mine wired this way for years and now wonder if I should change it. Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts