Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple times now the starter will just 'grind' and not turn the motor over. Usually the next time I hit it, it goes. But once it ground for 3-4 tries before turning over. Its a CSI Platinum (hitachi style) mini starter thats probably 6-7 yrs old. Is this a sign of something going bad in the solenoid or? Its almost stranded me in the lanes before eliminations. Need to fix it.

Thanks
Craig

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Couple times now the starter will just 'grind' and not turn the motor over. Usually the next time I hit it, it goes. But once it ground for 3-4 tries before turning over. Its a CSI Platinum (hitachi style) mini starter thats probably 6-7 yrs old. Is this a sign of something going bad in the solenoid or? Its almost stranded me in the lanes before eliminations. Need to fix it.

Thanks
Craig
grinds how? does it engage the flywheel when it grinds or does it just spin without engaging and that is the grinding you hear.? in my experience when I have had solenoid related issues it eithor worked or didn't. no in between as far as "grinding" and I have had a run of solenoid issues. always carry a spare in my trailor.

on another note that is one awsome looking fire bird you have.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
About $60 for a new drive. They make cheaper ones, and more expensive ones too. But the $60 ones seem to last almost as long as the $100 ones, and 10 times longer than the $30 ones.

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Motor doesn't spin over. The starter is spinning and all I can here is a Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Ray, I assume I can get the drive from any local starter repair shop? Wouldn't mind buying from you but Canada is a long way for shipping.

thanks.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Motor doesn't spin over. The starter is spinning and all I can here is a Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Ray, I assume I can get the drive from any local starter repair shop? Wouldn't mind buying from you but Canada is a long way for shipping.

thanks.
I can drop ship, but still your local guy is still going to be cheaper. Or should be atleast. Last time I checked a decent drive is around $60 for a new one. Rebuilds will be a little less expensive. You should be able to replace it yourself. Take the front plate off and it should just pull out.

Your local guy should still check it first. It sounds like the drive clutches are gone, and that is the failure point in the Hitachi starter 90% of the time. But it still could be something else. If it is 10 years old, might have them go through and replace the bearings and polish the armature and stuff. Might cost you the same as a new one off Ebay, but should last longer, i.e. be better quality.

If you like I can probably recommend a local guy for you as well.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Yes, please do recommend someone local if you don't mind. My zip is 64870. Thanks for the help!
I came up blank. If you cant find someone, and you have to ship, there is a great shop in IL. How far is that from you?

·
Registered
7,855 Posts

·
Registered
26,607 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
i thought chevy's didnt need starters. Just leave it on for looks.lol
funny i've never seen a chevrolet fire bird.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
CVR are a Denso based starter. Could still be the drive but also be the gears inside as well. We usually found that it is cheaper to throw a CVR then fix it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts