·
Thread killer
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
578 Posts
Remote start solenoid or no?

If no, starter wire from push button to one side of the neutral safety switch...the other side of the neutral safety switch to the small terminal on the starter solenoid.

If you are using a remote starter solenoid...go from the starter button to the neutral safety switch, neutral safety switch to small terminal on remote solenoid.... but, then you will have to put on a jumper wire on the starter, from the small terminal (solenoid) to the large terminal where the battery cable hooks.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Hot wiring the starter like that is very unhealthy for it. It leaves it engaged for a fraction of a second longer, which allows the engine to spin it an extra 10,000 rpm (more or less) which wears cluthes, bushings, etc out quickly.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Hot wiring the starter like that is very unhealthy for it. It leaves it engaged for a fraction of a second longer, which allows the engine to spin it an extra 10,000 rpm (more or less) which wears cluthes, bushings, etc out quickly.
need to ask why and how please?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have seen this with my friends 89 mustang that was originally equiped with a " one wire" starter i dont know the exact name for them but then he put in the small ford starter and it stays engaged for a second or two after the engine starts.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Ray,
What is the best way to do it? I have mine wired like what you mentioned is unhealthy. I would like it to be healthy.:D

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Why and how. When the starter starts the motor and you let off the button, power is cut to the starter line by your remote solenoid.
However your starter still is spinning, and still has coiled pole pieces surrounding a rotating magnet. i.e. it has all the makings of a generator. A terrible ineffiecent generator, but it will still creat some electricity.
It actually creates enough to keep the solenoid energized for a fraction of a second. This causes the drive to stay engaged for a fraction of a second longer. Which then cause the starter to spin faster (lots of starters are in the 16 to 1 gear ratio with the flywheel) So if start, and typically crack the throttle slightly, and hit say 1500rpm before the starter disengages, it sees 24,000rpm. The drive clutches either slip, or the bushings/bearings see lots of extra wear.

How to change it back. There are a couple of threads about it, with drawings I think, i will see if I can find them.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
thanks Ray, I drew it out on paper then it just clicked what you were saying with the jumper wire.
That jumper creats a path for the induced voltage to keep the starter engaged.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
If it means anything, I only learned about this a few years ago.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts