Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m building a wet sump 427 SBF Windsor deal and found an old hamburgers remote filter mount in my parts bin. I was wondering if I could get away with running a standard volume and pressure pump with just a remote mount filter, no cooler. Lines will be -10 or -12. No oil cooler on this motor. Normally I would run a high volume with a large cooler and remote filter. If anyone can share their experiences with this I’d be really thankful.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Adding a remote filter would not change the volume required as long as it did not create any new leak paths. What it would do is add flow resistance which could potentially reduce the oil pressure to the rest of the engine. I'd measure the oil pressure at the end of the line meaning at the last thing to get oiled.

If the pressure is too low you would need a higher pressure pump or shim the relief valve. If the pump does not have enough volume to build pressure to start with then you would also need a higher volume pump. As long as you use a good size line and avoid a bunch of 90 degree bends likely be fine, if you were good before.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Adding a remote filter would not change the volume required as long as it did not create any new leak paths. What it would do is add flow resistance which could potentially reduce the oil pressure to the rest of the engine. I'd measure the oil pressure at the end of the line meaning at the last thing to get oiled.

If the pressure is too low you would need a higher pressure pump or shim the relief valve. If the pump does not have enough volume to build pressure to start with then you would also need a higher volume pump. As long as you use a good size line and avoid a bunch of 90 degree bends likely be fine, if you were good before.
This is correct and the height of the remote filter relative to the pump will be an important factor.

·
Registered
15,356 Posts

If the relief valve is set at 60psi and your system is only seeing 50, how will increasing relief pressure raise system pressure?

·
Registered
556 Posts
It will not which is why I stated "If the pump does not have enough volume to build pressure to start with then you would also need a higher volume pump". If all the volume goes into the motor before you hit the bypass (relief) pressure then you cannot raise the max pump pressure can you?

Stated another way if you added enough of a restriction the existing pump's pressure will increase up to the point it goes into bypass. If not it may be too small to start with or if you are say at 50psi at the end of the line the pump maybe just fine for the application.

·
Registered
15,356 Posts
It will not which is why I stated "If the pump does not have enough volume to build pressure to start with then you would also need a higher volume pump". If all the volume goes into the motor before you hit the bypass (relief) pressure then you cannot raise the max pump pressure can you?

Stated another way if you added enough of a restriction the existing pump's pressure will increase up to the point it goes into bypass. If not it may be too small to start with or if you are say at 50psi at the end of the line the pump maybe just fine for the application.
OK, just clarifying. Then your statement, "If the pressure is too low you would need a higher pressure pump or shim the relief valve" isn't accurate. A higher pressure pump is usually the same volume just with a higher bypass rating. I hear this all the time and it's just sort of a pet peeve of mine. You're right in that, unless you increase volume (with a given restriction), you're not going to increase pressure. I completely agree with everything else you said. (y)

·
Registered
556 Posts
When I said pressure to low I was speaking at the end of the line after all the bearings and leaks. Sorry if that was not clear. If you add more restriction upstream you could put the pump into bypass and still not have enough pressure at the end of the line.

In that case raising the bypass would help. If it did not hit bypass then you need more volume to get the pressure needed. If you have enough volume you should be in the first case so would be too low volume to begin with and now a marginal case was just now made worse.

I understand your pet peeve. There are
two things; pump volume and bypass relief pressure. People talk about high volume pump and high pressure pump like is all the same and they are two different things.

·
I kill parts
11,462 Posts
Any additional plumbing added to the system will increase demand on the pump.

Appears Steve pretty well covered my point. The volume requirement won't change due to the added plumbing, as there isn't an added leak path. The added system volume and total circuit distance may change pressure, but only if the pump volume is already at full consumption.

We all know how many people with "camel hump heads and fo-bolt manes" ( 🤣 ) are running an HV pump with stock clearances, stock oil drain back, and a stock oil pan, because somehow having 40+psi of idle oil pressure is necessary.....Like running that stupid Titan I fought for far longer than I should have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts