Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Standard light bulbs

3K views 41 replies 30 participants last post by  jimj580 
#1 ·
A guy I work with is in the electrical department and he attended a class to stay up on the rules and codes , the instructor told him in 2014 they will no longer be selling incondecent light bulbs , it will only be fluorescent and LED . So if you like the glow of a standard bulb stock up ! The instructor also told him that electric companies will be raising their rates up to 3 time as much because they won't be making as much cause we're trying to save. How fucked up is that.

#10 · (Edited)
i blame capitalism.... its my understanding that the original light bulb that edison got to work .....still burns 24hrs. a day in the smithsonian .... yet im changing mine every few months......but you just blame obama

#12 ·
the main reason for the switch is the new type bulbs are made in china, and there was a co. in the US making the old ones, and we cant have our imagine taenished by manf. something in this country
remember the switch to digital TV, where do you think all the converter boxes were made-china
where do you think all the new dig. tv's are made-china
anyone see a pattern here, that has been long developing, lol

#14 ·
I've used nothing but CFL's in my house since 2002. I've changed one of them in that time. There are GE's and were $20 for a pack of 8 at Sams. I'm sure they're cheaper now. The color temp is very close to an incandescent bulb and none of them flicker. Quit your whining and watch your bill drop.

#25 ·
And what the heck do you do with enclosed ceiling fixtures? CFL bulbs a) won't fit (too tall) and b) are not supposed to be used in closed fixtures. I tried to put one in my ceiling fan, one of the ones that looks almost like a regular bulb, and it was too tall, the globe won't go back on, then read the warning on the package.

#26 ·
^^^^^^^
What dirt said.
I have a couple recessed fixtures in my house. Reading the CFC packaging they are NOT recommended to be used in recessed fixtures.
Have also heard about broken CFC's and mercury issues as well as *proper* disposal of old CFC's.

#27 ·
I read that there's a guy in Germany who has trade marked incandescent bulbs as miniature "globe heaters" and will be able to continue to sell them as such because of the relatively high heat output vs. Visible light. We should be fine as long as he doesn't ask too mch for them.

#30 ·
Saw this comming two years ago, stocked up on enough light bulbs to last several lifetimes. :peeinggo green

#40 ·
my apartment has all "bright white" CFL's and really like how it illuminates everything plus the lower electrical bill is really nice as i'm saving alot of money

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.