Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, My impeller was damaged after sucking in belt pieces (long story in another thread).

It also took out the main bearing. My F1C was an older model with a 5.73 gear set. now that stuff isn't available, so I'll have to switch to the newer 5.40 ratio.

Can anyone tell me the exact differences in the standard f1c and what the newer 3.70 model is?? and whats so different on the impeller?? does it have more blades?? its supposed to be a bit softer at the hit, and really move air up top?? anyone tested or used these yet??? Looking for any info and data/testing possible before I make my decision.

Saw in the other "carnage thread" there was a comment about the newer style blowers not being able to "grab" air fast enough down low, compared to the older style ones??

Thanks for the help!

chris

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's not that the blower cannot "grab" air fast enough... It is largely contributed to the manner in which the air leaves the exducer blades.

The newer designs are created to require less drive power to turn, and also help cool down the inlet temps. While this does allow more power to be created up top, it can take away some of the low end. If you go from a low end or mid range blower to a model with a greater top end efficiency, you will probably want to look at changing more than just the blower to get the most out of the combo.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I know I may have to make changes. Sergio said the only catch is with the newest design, it needs a converter that can get up real quick off the hit, and I don't think my converter will have an issue. I've been 60ft'ing in the 1.24-1.28's, I just don't want to lose any of that 60' time.

I was over spinning my original f1c slightly and it was out of its efficiency range. it would only make 22-23 lbs, that's about it (with my pulley combo) 77/42. If I wanted more, I'd need the 84 tooth crank pulley, which would hit my water pump, and open another can of worms.

With the newer style blower, I think the 5.40 gears and trans are the same, so I shouldn't have any durability issues I hope. . . like the f1x and newer F3's are having???

Its just a lot of money to repair and I want to make the right choice. I'm not much of a huge budget racer. I just don't want to go to the newest design and it be a slug, as I only spin my motor to 7500.

chris

·
Registered
47 Posts
I tested both the new F1 3.70 and the F1C 10.5. The 10.5 makes more power down low than the smaller blower, but the smaller blower is more efficient.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The F1C 3.70 will take over where the old one flattened out. While I believe nothing in a competitive race environment is immune to destruction, the exducer on this blower is .5" smaller in diameter than the F1X... That is a substantial reduction in rotational weight and the overall load that the blower will see.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts