Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
time to go racing yet ?
30,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This crank is from an early 392 hemi, i bought it awhile ago, but the seller I got it from had it ground and polished, oil was put on it and then it was shrinked wrapped, I do not know how long ago it was refinished, how long it was stored , storage conditions etc..... I'm cleaning it up and notice staining/pitting on a few of the rod journals, it might be hard to see in the pic, but you can see them but can't really feel them, if anything you can just barely catch a finger nail on 1 or 2 of them

What do you think junk or ????

·
time to go racing yet ?
30,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much has it been ground under now???
Looks like chit, but hard to tell in picture. If there is another size under for bearings, I'd have it reground.
Its .010 under I think I can get .020 bearings for it

Any crank grinders near harrisburg pa?

·
time to go racing yet ?
30,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Where you located??
Tower city, 45ish mins northeast of the burg.....I get to harrisburg every other week or so..... I have delt with Feasers on Cameron st a few times. I'm going to give him a ring in the am to see if they grind cranks....I'm not opposed to maybe going to another shop, I just don't want it stuck in machine shop jail, already have a block at a shop going on 3 months

·
time to go racing yet ?
30,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oil retention facilities....🙂
I did some research on what the pits might be from and have read several posts on other forums that if you can't feel them that they wouldn't be an issue since the crank rides in oil and doesn't really touch the bearing, this is a cackle fest engine so it wont ever see more than idle time and maybe some throttle wacks...
.. I have spent a good bit of money at this point on this engine and need to get the crank balanced, so my normal shop will nit pick the crank, and honestly I knew about these Mark's for awhile I'm just now at the point where I'm ready to start assembly and it's on my mind to get it done properly

·
time to go racing yet ?
30,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Send it to shaftech it will come back looking like new
Going to give them a call this morning, looks like they do balancing as well might be an easier 1 stop shop for me. Thanks for the recommendation

·
Registered
347 Posts
Another vote for shaftech....they repaired a badly beat up crank for me a couple years ago...top notch work & service.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Tower city, 45ish mins northeast of the burg.....I get to harrisburg every other week or so..... I have delt with Feasers on Cameron st a few times. I'm going to give him a ring in the am to see if they grind cranks....I'm not opposed to maybe going to another shop, I just don't want it stuck in machine shop jail, already have a block at a shop going on 3 months
Did you ever try Jensen's? That's not too far away from you and his prices are very reasonable.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
OP....youtube diy crank polishing.....you'll get rid of most of those stains on your own and rest can stay as oil reservoirs like a number of others have already indicated....

·
time to go racing yet ?
30,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another vote for shaftech....they repaired a badly beat up crank for me a couple years ago...top notch work & service.
talked to them yesterday, nice lady, wont cost to much, lead is long which not an issue, i also need to get it balanced she said they do balancing and wont get into stuff that takes alot of time, sounds like there volume oriented, im going to take it to the local shop monday who does grinding and also balancing, see what he says

I've run them far worse than that. They're not pits, they're oil reservoirs.
thanks mark, i have read alot of guys run them like this as long as its smooth it wont hurt anything.... the machine shop im taking it to does everything, tractor engines up to big diesels, they dont specialize in high performance, but they do things properly the owner is like 80 yrs old id say he has a crew of atleast 10+ guys, he will probably say just run it.... but i need it balanced also

Did you ever try Jensen's? That's not too far away from you and his prices are very reasonable.
andy is a good guy, used him 1 time to machine a block and put together a rotator, he said a month, ended up being 3-4, he dynoed a couple engines for me after that, with my help, while im not in a hurry, i do like to deal with people who say they are going to get it done in the time frame given, a week or 2 extra is cool, but dont string me along...now this was like 11 yrs ago....

·
Idiot Savant
161,977 Posts
If you decide to turn it, don't worry about the undersize. As long as you have bearings, your good to go.

I used to get guys that refused to tun a crank .030, then I'd tell them to turn it to SB Chevy and stroke it a bit. The same guy that wouldn't run it at .030 was happy to run it at .100.

People are odd.

·
time to go racing yet ?
30,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
honestly if it wasnt for the balancing id just put the damn thing together, its a 392 hemi cackle engine, aluminum rods, nitro pistons, wont ever see more than a couple 2-3k rpms, and since its a "cackle car" it wont even be ran much, i posted a balancing question the other day on a FB group for guys who mess with these things, few guys flipped out saying how it would shake its self apart.... like being perfectly balanced and ran on 90% wont shake it apart.....few guys said dont worry just put it together balancing isnt that critical... wish i knew how much a factory rod/piston was compared to these aluminum rods/pistons

1 - 17 of 17 Posts