Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Staging question. Is there an option called STAGE LOCK?

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  mrdragster1970 
#1 ·
I had bad luck at the race track today. Out of nowhere my car backed out of the stage beam 3 times in a row. Never done that before and did not do it at this track 2 weeks ago. I realize the issue is probably with my car. Most likely my PG pump is weak.? It did it in both lanes. Last 2 tracks I have been to this year it did not do it.

I was told the track just did some repairs to the timing equipment last week. I was also told there is an option to use STAGE LOCK to eliminate the issue. Anyone verify that? Maybe there is and it is not reset for that option?

My car did not get a red light any of the 3 times. After the stage light was on and I set the transbrake and went up on the 2 step, the stage light went out and no amber lights came down on my side. Crosstalk was on and I was watching my side of the tree.

I know the trans may need work. I know I can turn up the idle and it may help pump volume. I know I can hold my foot on the brake a little longer. I know there is an option on my Mega 450 box to apply the linelock when the transbrake is on. Will look at all these. Trans pump is probably going to need replaced anyway.

#4 ·
^^^^ What these two have said. Raising the rpm is just a temporary band-aid.

Stage lock? Never heard of it.

#7 ·
I tried to use the Linelock feature thru my Mega 450 delay box once before. When I run the wire from the delay box to the line lock, the MSD 2 step quits working and the RPM goes to the converter stall speed. I asked the delay box manufacturer about this and they had 2 different fixes for that, but it did not cure the issue, so I put it back to how it was wired when I got the car and the 2 step started working again. Any ideas?

i am going to ask the track manager if they have Stage Lock now that you confirmed it exists. Thanks

#10 ·
You can use the SFG on the 450 box and set it on mode 5 (if I remember right). This will turn on line lock while on the TB.
As for the car backing out. Could be all that has been mentioned and even too stiff of a servo spring if you run a supported servo. Even the band adjuster might be worn/oblong allowing it to flex. These last 2 seem to be a problem only when the trans. is hot.

#8 ·

A lot of clutch cars will use the line lock to hold in the lights, it shouldn't be that hard with an auto, especially if you use a diode.

#15 ·
Talked to the track manager today by email. Was surprised he got back with me while they were racing on Sunday. He said he was watching me during 1st round and saw my car rock back. He said he did not know if his TSI timing system has STAGE LOCK, but will find out this week and let me know. I do know if I had been watching the other cars light I could have left on time, but i would not have got a time, so same as red light. Just a little confusing when it happens that way, no red light.

Rear line lock activated with transbrake button seems doable but you would have to have the brake pedal pushed down hard to trap any brake pressure. I am just lightly on the brake pedal staging. Trans is coming out and getting looked at or new one goes in before I race again. Like Hutch said it is more than just the pump probably.

#18 ·
there is a timer that is triggered by turning on the stage light . . It allows racers to bump in and not start the stage to start timer,,but if the stage is on for what the timer is set then the stage is locked in the clocks and if you roll out you get a red light . This is how you mess with the guy who insists on staging last .

#19 ·
Check transmission pressures to make sure the pump is doing it's job. Everyone has a theory on how and when to adjust the band. Pick something and it will probably work for you. I normally dump oil & filter at 40+ runs and adjust the band at the same time. Some people adjust it every week and others never touch it. Make sure that the adjustment pin is an aftermarket one, the stock pins have a bad habit of deflecting and bending. And while some say it has nothing to do with it, I think the servo does have some influence. Sonnax has some good information about servo issues related to band slippage. If you end up replacing the pump, replace the band while you're in there too.

#20 ·
“There is a pre-stage, stage lock, stage beam and guard beam,” Brockmeyer said. “It works off the front wheel of the car now. The new infra-red wall technology works off the front of the body of the car. It will change the whole ball game of how we do things. There are a lot of variables we will have to look at. We are going to gather data and just to see if it does what I think it will do. There are multiple things we are looking for out of it. If it does what we want we will continue on and make it a viable option.

#21 ·
Beckman explained, “The NHRA has a stage lock beam more designed for the Super Comp and Super Gas cars with a trans-brake for when they deck the throttle, sometimes those cars will back up a half-inch. It’s designed to keep that from causing a red-light. A red-light happens when the stage beam reestablishes before the green light comes on.”

#22 ·
The local track manager talked to Pual, formally of TSI. Paul said there is an option for STAGE LOCK with the TS timing systemI, but only 3 tracks in USA have it. Our track does not. He also said while it does help with a car that rocks when applying the brake and coming up on the 2 step, it causes other issues that make it not as desirable as they thought it would be. Also it cost $1200 to add it and the track system has to be sent back to modify it.

At least I know my problem was not anything to do with the track equipment.

#23 ·

Why would switching to the body setting the beams be better than it is now???
My T/S car has a 3" high, 45" nose, my no box car has zero body anywhere near the lights.
Why would it matter at all. All pro cars have the same rules, so there's no advantage or disadvantage.
A dial in class doesn't care about getting a few thou free ET.

Just leave it alone, we leave off the tire, we finish off the body or tire, KISS, why change it??

Reactions: mathews
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.