Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
22,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought there was a thread on taking time to smell the roses or something like it, but didn't find it so here goes!

I was sitting out back on our patio rocking in our glider in the early evening before last and all of a sudden a gray squirrel comes kinda hopping out from under the table between its legs packing a little one in its mouth!

It stopped quick, looked at me and I just calmly said, "You are OK, come on and go where you want to"..

And the little bugger just moved over about 3 feet and went on its way. It would have went right under me if I hadn't been sitting there!

It came back about 5 minutes later and in another 5 minutes it was back with another little one in its mouth going to its new nest home.

I waited a bit, then got up to see where they went?

Seems they have made another nest way up top in the neighbors front yard tree a back-yard away from my big cottonwood tree.

A little bit later another squirrel showed up. I don't know how many we have around..

Way cool and thought I would share.

pdq67

·
rodent aviator
6,999 Posts
Unfortunately I displace squirrel's nests all the time. The big gray squirrels usually don't have a hard time unless the babies are really young (no fur yet). I will usually just set the nest and babies off to the side out of the way and momma will come take them to a new home in short order.

·
Registered
21,170 Posts
That's cool a few years ago I took the family to Epcot. They were going on a motion ride and I can't do those so I just sat down and waited. There were squirrels hanging out. They just came right up to you and hung out. I wish I had some food to share I'm sure they would have ate right out of my hand.

·
FUCKING ASSHOLE SINCE '61
7,342 Posts
OUR squirrels have an understanding.

I give them seeds and they don't dig in the wifes flowers.

It works so far,....

And yes they DO speak English, at least ours do.
We also have a number of Albino Squirrels,
they have been here for years.

And I haven't had anything to drink....yet.

They ALSO go down to the "Squirrel Bar" and have a few,
the Chickadee's run the bar and know EVERYTHING that
is going on in the back yard.
Who is getting any, who is not, and why.
They keep track of the Doves and whom they are shacked up with.
I tell ya, those Dove boys are some HORN DOGS!!!
Anything with grey feathers, they are after...

The Cardinals are the King and Queen of the feeder area though.
They have been here for years, same ones.
ALWAYS raise a batch each year.

I have more stories.

Your Pal, Gary

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I have squirrels,rabbits , fox, chimpmonks and tons of birds I enjoy having some wildlife in my yard

·
KEVIN CAPS LOCK
82,197 Posts
IT IS A TREE RAT.....YOU COULD'VE STOMPED THE LITTLE PHUCKER....AND SAVED SOME HEADACHE. ...THE BRAINS ....ARE GREAT WITH SCRAMBLED EGGS

·
Mother Hen
51,607 Posts
I love to watch the critters. I have a giant mulberry tree and two pecan trees in my back yard. I never harvest any of the nuts or berries. I look forward every year to all the animals in that big mulberry tree.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
When I had feeders up, the ones that stayed on the ground got free food, the ones that didn't developed an urgent need for Excedrin.

·
Registered
10,164 Posts
Squirrels crack me up. They are extremely territorial, super athletes and very inquisitive. I have a feeder box on a wooden fence I throw peanuts in every other day. Its like they see me from great distances and all of a sudden, I have 5 of them fighting to get in that box. They have to lift the lid with their head to get in. One will be dominate and the others will be doing all kind of tricks to get him away from that box. Its funny watching them being strategic.
They are sometimes my early Sunday morning entertainment.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
We had tons of black squirrels at our place in Michigan. One day my wife calls me to the back doorwall. There were three squirrels on the porch railing. I'm assuming one was a female as there was another on top of her humping her ass like a little jack hammer. The other one was watching all of this. The rail is narrow so pretty narrow so Sammy the Jack Hammer Squirrel loses traction and falls of the rail. The female didn't have time for a breath before the other squirrel jumps on and starts to throw her inches and inches of squirrel Johnson.

Of course, I think this is the all time funniest thing I'd ever seen. Wife not laughing so hard.

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
We had tons of black squirrels at our place in Michigan. One day my wife calls me to the back doorwall. There were three squirrels on the porch railing. I'm assuming one was a female as there was another on top of her humping her ass like a little jack hammer. The other one was watching all of this. The rail is narrow so pretty narrow so Sammy the Jack Hammer Squirrel loses traction and falls of the rail. The female didn't have time for a breath before the other squirrel jumps on and starts to throw her inches and inches of squirrel Johnson.

Of course, I think this is the all time funniest thing I'd ever seen. Wife not laughing so hard.

I was lauhging my ass off reading it.

·
Registered
22,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
We also have a few little-bitty Hummingbirds around! I am going to get a feeder for them next year since its pretty close to fall.

Suckers are a hoot to watch. I had my lawn sprinkler on one day and one was sitting on a little limb above it taking a shower!! They also are damned territorial if not mistaken?

Critters are sure nice to have around until they get destructive!

Back to the moving squirrels. I saw a small owl flying around recently down low and close to the cottonwood tree so I figure that is why the family is on the move.
pdq67

·
Registered
99 Posts
We also have a few little-bitty Hummingbirds around! I am going to get a feeder for them next year since its pretty close to fall.

Suckers are a hoot to watch. I had my lawn sprinkler on one day and one was sitting on a little limb above it taking a shower!! They also are damned territorial if not mistaken?

Critters are sure nice to have around until they get destructive!

Back to the moving squirrels. I saw a small owl flying around recently down low and close to the cottonwood tree so I figure that is why the family is on the move.
pdq67
Now is still a fairly good time to put up humming bird feeders as migrating ones could use the snack en-route to wherever they go.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts