Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO THERE,

JUST REBIULT MY TH400 AND SOMETHING SEEMS TO BE WRONG WITH IT. HERES THE STORY, FIRED MY NEW MOTOR UP THE OTHER DAY, LET IT RUN FOR FIFTHTEEN OR SO MINUTES WHILE I WAS TWEAKING THE CARB AND DIST. I SHUT MOTOR OFF AND CAME BACK OUT TO THE CAR ABOUT AN HOUR LATER SO IT WOULD HEAT SOAK AND DRAIN OIL AWAY FROM VC RAILS SO I COULD SET THE VALVES. WHEN I FIRED IT BACK UP IT HAD A REALLY LOUD SQUEAL TO IT! I SHUT IT OFF AND FORGOT ABOUT IT FOR A WHILE . FAST FORWARD TO TODAY AND NOW EVEN WHEN THE CAR IS FIRST FIRED IT HAS THE SQUEAL, I LET IT RUN FOR A SHORT TIME TO TRY TO FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS, WHILE IT WAS RUNNING( ON JACK STANDS) I PUT IT IN GEAT AND THE NOISE STOPS AND THE TIRED TURN. PRETTY MUCH IT SQUEALS IN PARK AND NUETRAL ONLY,I PUT SIX OR SEVEN QTS OF OIL IN IT JUST TO GET THINGS GOING. IT DIDNT MAKE ANY NOISE FOR THE FIRST FIFTEEN MINUTES OF RUNTIME. WTF??

THANKS MUCH JOEL

·
Super Moderator
19,975 Posts
Sounds like you may have a filter and/or oil pickup problem and the squeal/buzzing noise you are hearing is the regulator valve in the pump as a result of aeriation or restriction. Also , if the oil pan is stock (std or deep) and is using the factory pickup system , you should be ok . Some pans are a little short and when combined with the factory deep pan filter extension they get mashed into the filter and against the bottom of the pan. Check that the oil pan will go up against the case without the gasket in place so then you will be sure of the pan/filter clearance.

Let me know what you find, Hutch

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks hutch, it is a deep pan, its been on this trans the ten or so years ive owned it. i will check it out later today, life keeps interfering with my hobbies!

joel

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
th400 squeal

hutch,

i checked the pickup to pan depth and there is at least a quarter inch or more, whats kinda weird now is that when i refilled the trans with 3-4 qts of oil and started the car it didnt make any noise for about 3-4 seconds and then it made the same squeal, if it made noise from the get go it would be one thing but, when i first fired it a few days back it ran for like fifthteen minutes or so with no noise. there was some very small black specs in the pan, my clutches were yellow though. filter seams to be the good one with no paper element b.s. maybe drop the filter completely and try it?any ideas

joel

·
Super Moderator
19,975 Posts
I thought maybe you had a regulator buzz but its hard to tell what noise your hearing from here. If the pickup tube is new and the O ring in the case is in good condition then I can't say where to go next without hearing the noise.

Let me know what you find out, Hutch

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it is a high pitch squeal, much louder than the motor though the car does have full exhaust with tailpipes. i dropped the pan again and cut open the filter with a shears and there was nothing in it, i thought maybe it would have some blockage or something.pickup tube has o-ring and is installed correctly, i hate to bring it somewhere now knowing that i have $300.00 in just parts plus all my time in the damn thing.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
squealer

hutch,

i took the front pump off today, i think the black dropping were old gasket remnants, there is no metalic particles that ive seen thus far. one thing that is of interest though is that the clearance between the oil pump gears and the gear halves was about .001 i had to buy a new oil pump gear set and pump half and the oil clearance on the new one is about .003 this was a tci competition trans that i bought about ten years ago. tci had a thicker oil pump gearset in it and a remachined pump half. i couldnt get a new thicker gearset in time so i bought a gearset and matching pump housing half from a local trans shop. could it be the pressure reg is set up for the added pressure that the .001 clearance would create also the new housing half is numbered 896 42 old one is 895 21.

thanks for any advice you can offer as im stumped, i know it did have some oil pressure as it did leak at one fitting, also was silent for the first ten minutes?

joel

·
الكتاب ا
6,697 Posts
And you're absolutely sure the noise is coming from the transmission? And not something in the new motor...now that it has some runtime? Check thrust. Just a thought.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts