Yellow Bullet Forums banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Well there you go. Poor boy chevelle even likes your reply.
I’m 180 degrees out of phase with your opinion on this. All good
Not sure what someone liking my post has to do with anything. I legit asked the question because I legit wanted to know what it is that I'm supposed to be missing or not seeing.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Lol.

For the record, I've never liked either Hillary or Bill.
As far as a ski resort changing its name, it's not anything to get anyone's knickers knotted up over. It's run by a corporation that has people with expensive educations (far better than mine) who understand marketing, cost benefit analysis, who have, I would assume, done actual research into this, and being as how big business is all about that bottom line dollar, they're doing this because they believe it will be better for business. If it makes the neighboring tribes happy, great. If it makes customers happy, great. If it brings in more customers, also great.
At the end of the day, it has ZERO impact on anyone's life on this forum.
But I'd like to hear what it is that's being taken from you, that I am apparently not understanding.
What I don't understand is the removing of names associated with poc.

Squaw is just an Indian name for woman. Is this derogatory? IMO you are just erasing history.

·
Registered
607 Posts
What I don't understand is the removing of names associated with poc.

Squaw is just an Indian name for woman. Is this derogatory? IMO you are just erasing history.
So the valley itself had its name changed from Squaw Valley to Olympic Valley for the 1960 Olympic games.
As far as "squaw" being a Native American term, in digging around, it's actually not. It's not a NA word in any of the languages. One of the websites I visited was written by a NA historian. The article went into a whole lot of detail of specific NA words in different NA languages, none of which were "Squaw". The historian presented several words for woman that, if you did not speak the language, you might have mangled it into "squaw".

As far as it being derogatory, when it's been used that way for 150+ years, then yeah, it's pretty much become a derogatory term.
Erasing history? I don't see it... the only constant in the universe is change. And there's a reason they say "history is written by the victors"...

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Race girl.... have you ever told someone in your life to shut the fuck up and quit bitching about every little fucking thing that bothers them? You Californians need to learn how to say that sentence. Memorize the son of a bitch PLEASE! This fucking shit that comes out of your state spreads like cancer across the country. We had a bunch of bag huggers here trying to force the name change of the highest peak in our state. We rose up by the thousands and told them to fuck off and they didn’t get it changed. Grow a pair of stones!!!!!!! Fuck!
It’s the pussifacation of America!!!!!
Don’t be part of the pussifacatiin of America!!!!!

·
Registered
607 Posts
Race girl.... have you ever told someone in your life to shut the fuck up and quit bitching about every little fucking thing that bothers them? You Californians need to learn how to say that sentence. Memorize the son of a bitch PLEASE! This fucking shit that comes out of your state spreads like cancer across the country. We had a bunch of bag huggers here trying to force the name change of the highest peak in our state. We rose up by the thousands and told them to fuck off and they didn’t get it changed. Grow a pair of stones!!!!!!! Fuck!
It’s the pussifacation of America!!!!!
Don’t be part of the pussifacatiin of America!!!!!
Lol. People can bitch about whatever they want. Freedom of speech and all that. I don't care (notice I'm not telling you to shut the fuck up and quit bitching about a company changing its name... ;) )
How you equate a business changing its name with the "pussification" of America (although frankly, a pussy can take a pounding that would make balls' owners shrivel up and cry like a little bitch, but I digress) is beyond me.
Still waiting for some sort of explanation as to how a business changing its name in another state is somehow taking something from you, or anyone else on this forum.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So the valley itself had its name changed from Squaw Valley to Olympic Valley for the 1960 Olympic games.
As far as "squaw" being a Native American term, in digging around, it's actually not. It's not a NA word in any of the languages. One of the websites I visited was written by a NA historian. The article went into a whole lot of detail of specific NA words in different NA languages, none of which were "Squaw". The historian presented several words for woman that, if you did not speak the language, you might have mangled it into "squaw".

As far as it being derogatory, when it's been used that way for 150+ years, then yeah, it's pretty much become a derogatory term.
Erasing history? I don't see it... the only constant in the universe is change. And there's a reason they say "history is written by the victors"...
You want to get into history, then here is a snipet from native-languages.org

"Q: Why is the word "squaw" offensive? Does it mean woman, wife, prostitute, or vagina?
A
: None of the above. "Squaw" is not an Indian word. It was probably invented by European colonists who could not pronounce a longer Indian word. In the Algonquian languages, which were spoken on the East Coast and were the first to be encountered by Europeans, many feminine nouns end in a suffix with a "kw" or "skw" sound. For example, in Meskwaki-Sauk, Thakiwakwe means a Sauk (Thakiwa) woman; in Micmac, muwineskw means a female bear (muwin); and in the Abenaki language, Cimakskwa means Mrs. Cimak. If the Europeans thought that meant "skwa" or "kwe" was the word for "woman," though, they made a mistake. It's just a suffix, like the English suffix "-ess" in "princess" or "seamstress." By itself, "squaw" means nothing in any living Algonquian language and no Indian speaker would ever use it to refer to herself, any more than an English woman would refer to herself as an "ess." (The words for 'woman' in the three languages listed above are ihkwewa, epit, and behanem, incidentally.)

So were the Europeans originally trying to use their pidgin word "squaw" to refer to Indian women, wives, prostitutes, vaginas, or seamstresses for that matter? No one will ever know for sure, because there are Algonquian words ending in "-squa" or "-qua" referring to all these things. The likeliest thing is that those original colonists were not being insulting and were just trying and failing to use an Indian word for "woman." It is hard to learn another language and most of the early European immigrants had never done it before. However, since then the word has been used in a very racist and sexually abusive way, so it definitely has negative implications now. Like the "n-word," the word "squaw" should be retired from public use. It is also not an Indian word and no Indians ever use it among themselves."

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
Lol. People can bitch about whatever they want. Freedom of speech and all that. I don't care (notice I'm not telling you to shut the fuck up and quit bitching about a company changing its name... ;) )
How you equate a business changing its name with the "pussification" of America (although frankly, a pussy can take a pounding that would make balls' owners shrivel up and cry like a little bitch, but I digress) is beyond me.
Still waiting for some sort of explanation as to how a business changing its name in another state is somehow taking something from you, or anyone else on this forum.
It isn't. But then again, most people don't consider california worth considering. You can have that shithole! Put up borders, stop trade.. do what you guys need to do! The rest of the country would thank you, you can have your elite status all to yourself. Then you can fight amongst yourself and we can all watch and laugh!

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I also get a hearty laugh at the californians who choose to rename something because it's offensive, yet will transform a small rural town like windsor into a tourist attraction because the new money residents move in and demand justification, and something to make others jealous of. So you drive out the previous residents through eminent domain to make way for your wine shops, boutique stores and sprawling downtown areas, yet dont realize you are essentially giving the green light to the same shit you are currently fighting against. You are literally the modern day version of the people who you are fighting so hard to erase. California really is a fucking backwards minded state. And I don't give a fuck what anyone calls their buisness.

·
Registered
607 Posts
You want to get into history, then here is a snipet from native-languages.org

"Q: Why is the word "squaw" offensive? Does it mean woman, wife, prostitute, or vagina?
A
: None of the above. "Squaw" is not an Indian word. It was probably invented by European colonists who could not pronounce a longer Indian word. In the Algonquian languages, which were spoken on the East Coast and were the first to be encountered by Europeans, many feminine nouns end in a suffix with a "kw" or "skw" sound. For example, in Meskwaki-Sauk, Thakiwakwe means a Sauk (Thakiwa) woman; in Micmac, muwineskw means a female bear (muwin); and in the Abenaki language, Cimakskwa means Mrs. Cimak. If the Europeans thought that meant "skwa" or "kwe" was the word for "woman," though, they made a mistake. It's just a suffix, like the English suffix "-ess" in "princess" or "seamstress." By itself, "squaw" means nothing in any living Algonquian language and no Indian speaker would ever use it to refer to herself, any more than an English woman would refer to herself as an "ess." (The words for 'woman' in the three languages listed above are ihkwewa, epit, and behanem, incidentally.)

So were the Europeans originally trying to use their pidgin word "squaw" to refer to Indian women, wives, prostitutes, vaginas, or seamstresses for that matter? No one will ever know for sure, because there are Algonquian words ending in "-squa" or "-qua" referring to all these things. The likeliest thing is that those original colonists were not being insulting and were just trying and failing to use an Indian word for "woman." It is hard to learn another language and most of the early European immigrants had never done it before. However, since then the word has been used in a very racist and sexually abusive way, so it definitely has negative implications now. Like the "n-word," the word "squaw" should be retired from public use. It is also not an Indian word and no Indians ever use it among themselves."
That's the website I was referencing.

It isn't. But then again, most people don't consider california worth considering. You can have that shithole! Put up borders, stop trade.. do what you guys need to do! The rest of the country would thank you, you can have your elite status all to yourself. Then you can fight amongst yourself and we can all watch and laugh!
Not sure what you're talking about, considering Cali has the largest economy of ANY state in the country, and is rated 8th in the WORLD.
OK, sure... we've obviously stopped trade... 🤦‍♀️

I'll be the first person to say there's a lot of shit that needs work in our state... but geezus is there a metric shit-ton of work needing to be done in other states... poverty levels are terrible, health care either unaffordable or literally unavailable... children going to bed hungry every night...
I would think children starving in the what is arguably one of the wealthiest countries in the world seems like it would be worth a lot more outrage than a ski resort changing its name. WTF.

I also get a hearty laugh at the californians who choose to rename something because it's offensive, yet will transform a small rural town like windsor into a tourist attraction because the new money residents move in and demand justification, and something to make others jealous of. So you drive out the previous residents through eminent domain to make way for your wine shops, boutique stores and sprawling downtown areas, yet dont realize you are essentially giving the green light to the same shit you are currently fighting against. You are literally the modern day version of the people who you are fighting so hard to erase. California really is a fucking backwards minded state.
That's an awful lot of "you" up in there, when I have done literally none of those things.
Not sure where you've got your ideas about people living in Cali, but maybe try not painting with such a broad brush.
Are there people here doing those things? Yeah. Are they the majority? No. Most of us are just trying to get by, with outrageous rents, horrible traffic, and way too many hipsters.

FYI, I'm not a wine shop boutique-y type gal... I much prefer hanging out at the bike shop, or the track, or up in the mountains or down on a deserted stretch of beach... riding the twisties up on the Hill...

The only time I've been to a wine shop was for someone's anniversary. Their daughter is my god-daughter, so I was locked in. What're ya gonna do?

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
That's the website I was referencing.

Not sure what you're talking about, considering Cali has the largest economy of ANY state in the country, and is rated 8th in the WORLD.
OK, sure... we've obviously stopped trade... 🤦‍♀️

I'll be the first person to say there's a lot of shit that needs work in our state... but geezus is there a metric shit-ton of work needing to be done in other states... poverty levels are terrible, health care either unaffordable or literally unavailable... children going to bed hungry every night...
I would think children starving in the what is arguably one of the wealthiest countries in the world seems like it would be worth a lot more outrage than a ski resort changing its name. WTF.

That's an awful lot of "you" up in there, when I have done literally none of those things.
Not sure where you've got your ideas about people living in Cali, but maybe try not painting with such a broad brush.
Are there people here doing those things? Yeah. Are they the majority? No. Most of us are just trying to get by, with outrageous rents, horrible traffic, and way too many hipsters.

FYI, I'm not a wine shop boutique-y type gal... I much prefer hanging out at the bike shop, or the track, or up in the mountains or down on a deserted stretch of beach... riding the twisties up on the Hill...

The only time I've been to a wine shop was for someone's anniversary. Their daughter is my god-daughter, so I was locked in. What're ya gonna do?
Lol... I didnt ask about your economy rank, No. I am asking you to stop trade. Do it on your own!. Fuck the rest of the country, You guys don't need us ! And the majority of the country will be just fine without california. I watched 2 small towns that I grew up in turn into wine destinations, rural to uppity. Funny how on one hand you feel some kind of pride in your economy ranks, yet complain about the high cost of living, ask why kids starve in america, yet with the booming economy you brag about,, your state has starving kids.. You can't have it both ways. I have watched 2 rural towns change due to this theory of mine, and I completely understand it isn't you personally. And I am not just the typical talk shit about california person, I lived there up until 6 years ago, I left when I was 38.. and just so we are clear, this isn't a reflection of you, as you seem to be an awesome person!

·
Registered
18,531 Posts
What kids are starving in America? Any kids starving falls directly on the adults responsible for their well being. There are plenty of government programs out there that provide food or money to "poor" people.

·
Registered
322 Posts
As a former Californian myself, I gotta ask, if that state is so well run and such a great place to live, why the mass exodus? Property values in neighboring states have skyrocketed and all seem to be driven by SF Bay Area people fleeing that shithole. My house has more than doubled in 6 years according to a recent appraisal I got to refinance to drop my PMI. The loan officer at the bank said most people entering the area are from SF and have sold homes there and are paying over asking prices, paying cash in about half the instances. If California is so great, why would anyone ever leave. I know why I did about 8 years ago and it's far worse now. Imagine what it will look like in another 8 years...

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
What kids are starving in America? Any kids starving falls directly on the adults responsible for their well being. There are plenty of government programs out there that provide food or money to "poor" people.
There shouldn't be any starving kids in the state with the 8th biggest economy in the world. How fucking out of touch with reality does someone have to be to brag about that, then complain about high cost of living, and continue to vote in the same leadership year after year? I agree with you 100 percent on the parental aspect. It blows me away how the residents of that shithole will defend it, while acknowledging they are getting absolutely fucked. And to go back to my initial point....does racergirl call it infineon, sonoma, or sears point?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Lol... I didnt ask about your economy rank, No. I am asking you to stop trade. Do it on your own!. Fuck the rest of the country, You guys don't need us ! And the majority of the country will be just fine without california. I watched 2 small towns that I grew up in turn into wine destinations, rural to uppity. Funny how on one hand you feel some kind of pride in your economy ranks, yet complain about the high cost of living, ask why kids starve in america, yet with the booming economy you brag about,, your state has starving kids.. You can't have it both ways. I have watched 2 rural towns change due to this theory of mine, and I completely understand it isn't you personally. And I am not just the typical talk shit about california person, I lived there up until 6 years ago, I left when I was 38.. and just so we are clear, this isn't a reflection of you, as you seem to be an awesome person!
Thank you, that's very kind of you! :)
Also, I wasn't bragging, was responding to the comment I took to mean that California was stopping trade. I never graduated from college... but the only class I flunked was Economics, so... yeah. Lol.

Roughly 10% of Americans live in poverty (roughly 34 million); 12 million of those are children.
Yes, their parent(s) are responsible for feeding them... but there are a lot of people raising kids who shouldn't be... and there are a lot of people raising kids with non-custodial parents not paying child support (less than 50% of custodial parents receive their full child support payments).
I've helped some women get through the absolute maze of paperwork the government wants to get WIC benefits... their kids were going hungry because they couldn't manage to get stupid paperwork done (yeah, if you can't handle basic paperwork, you probably shouldn't be having kids, but what do I know).

As a former Californian myself, I gotta ask, if that state is so well run and such a great place to live, why the mass exodus? Property values in neighboring states have skyrocketed and all seem to be driven by SF Bay Area people fleeing that shithole. My house has more than doubled in 6 years according to a recent appraisal I got to refinance to drop my PMI. The loan officer at the bank said most people entering the area are from SF and have sold homes there and are paying over asking prices, paying cash in about half the instances. If California is so great, why would anyone ever leave. I know why I did about 8 years ago and it's far worse now. Imagine what it will look like in another 8 years...
Nowhere did I say the state was "well run", nor a "great place to live". I love many aspects of NorCal... the beaches, the mountains, the Gold Country... lived a couple decades in Livermore when I had horses, and it was great living there. For years, I spent every weekend Spring, Summer and Fall up on the Hill (Santa Cruz mountains) romping around on my Gixxer... now though? I'm wanting to move to New York. Go figure, cuz I'm not a city girl...

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Lol.

For the record, I've never liked either Hillary or Bill.
As far as a ski resort changing its name, it's not anything to get anyone's knickers knotted up over. It's run by a corporation that has people with expensive educations (far better than mine) who understand marketing, cost benefit analysis, who have, I would assume, done actual research into this, and being as how big business is all about that bottom line dollar, they're doing this because they believe it will be better for business. If it makes the neighboring tribes happy, great. If it makes customers happy, great. If it brings in more customers, also great.
At the end of the day, it has ZERO impact on anyone's life on this forum.
But I'd like to hear what it is that's being taken from you, that I am apparently not understanding.
Alot of genuine atheles competed there and gave their heart and soul to a sport as pure amateurs. Now the name has been washed away in the name of equity. Their memories are erased and cast aside like a child's toy. The whole woke culture is driven by childish angst at some invisible slight that they have suddenly invented and rallied to find victims to fit the crime. Why are there so many white women in BLM? That does not make sense either. But it is the new trendy thing to create problems out of thin air.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Myself I could care less what they call the place and I would venture to bet a lot of others are the same about it. If the company would have changed the name with out the media hype to it, most people would not even know or care about it. But the media has to make head lines so they pushed the "OFFENSIVE" "DEROGRATORY" name angle to get more hits, likes or views out of a nothing story. I would also be willing to bet people who do go there on a frequent bases will still call it by the old name. Again who cares what it is called.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Alot of genuine atheles competed there and gave their heart and soul to a sport as pure amateurs. Now the name has been washed away in the name of equity. Their memories are erased and cast aside like a child's toy. The whole woke culture is driven by childish angst at some invisible slight that they have suddenly invented and rallied to find victims to fit the crime. Why are there so many white women in BLM? That does not make sense either. But it is the new trendy thing to create problems out of thin air.
Cannot agree with that at all. Their memories are their own. Their names are on the rosters of Olympic Winners. That has not been taken from them.
That's like saying the guys who raced at Sears Point suddenly don't count because it's called Sonoma Raceway now.
I've raced with a lot of guys who raced Back In The Day when it was still Sears Point, and not a single one felt badly about the name change, or like their accomplishments were suddenly null and void...

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Too bad, it's true. And your analogy sucks. There was no ethnic cleansing needed when dealing with the name Sears.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Too bad, it's true. And your analogy sucks. There was no ethnic cleansing needed when dealing with the name Sears.
Lol. Truth is subjective, and has nothing to do with facts.
A name change is a name change, whether it's Squaw Valley or Sears Point.
And it is a fact that none of the Olympians who competed in the 1960 Olympics have had their medals taken or their wins removed from the record books.
My analogy is completely on point, and no one has mentioned "ethnic cleansing". 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
603 Posts
They can change the name all they want. It wont change how people remember the place or what they call it. Hell, most people I know still refer to Sonoma Raceway as Sears Point....

21 - 40 of 45 Posts