Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ill effects to be expected on wastegate life by having just the dome pressure and no spring?
The car is running a compressor and tank, I'm just wondering of possible valve and seat chatter, guide wear?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was just an experiment I guess. Our team had some discussions after testing whether this setup is feasible for more use.
The boost had to come down for the street and after nearly taking an eye out removing the springs from the wastegates we left the domes empty. Without springs the boost is steady and has very predictable upper and lower control with our setup, perhaps it would be even more steady with a soft spring to dampen some of the valve actions.

Some of these thoughts come from sensor data overload and obsessive compulsive disorder.

I'm told lot of the guys at the track run springless, but this thing being a street car with only the occasional pass, I am wondering if it will last longer with something like a 3psi spring.

It would be cool to see the exact movements of the wastegate valves in action.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Haha I get it. I tend to overthink stuff as well as experiment for my own purposes so I get it. In my experience all the racecars I've worked use a ~ 3psi spring and Co2 control takes care of the rest.

Which gate do you have exactly. Brand and model number would be helpful. We may be able to point you in the right direction so you can log WG Position.

-Colby

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a pair of Tial, aircooled. I forgot how big the valves are but the v-bands took 50mil piping in both ends.
I'm not going to hunt for the valve travel, thanks though, but for interest sake I tried looking for a video of something in that direction on youtube and came up empty.
I'm intrigued by stupid analytical stuff like this, as a carbed nitrous guy associated with my first high end turbo build, there's a bunch of stuff I have managed to learn from the EFI guys associated with it.

We will source some weak springs to stuff in there. Thank you for the discussion.

·
Registered
16,196 Posts
I run the lightest (7#) spring that came with my JGS. It is 85% street car, and I only run spring pressure and a mild pump gas tune on the streets, as the laws over here are extremely harsh. At the track I will turn on the CO2 and have tunes leaving on anywhere from 9psi to 11.5psi.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its not that we don't want it, Its just that it was so stable during testing. We could remove the turbos all together and the car would still have plenty power for the street.
we are told some of those big dogs at the track don't use a spring, and we were contemplating whether it would matter at all for the street, durability wise. We will probably source a small spring and stuff in there.

As of now for this thread we have one vote for some light spring installed, as it might be beneficial for lasting longer, buffering valve motion. One vote for leaving it out, it would last just fine. The car has onboard compressor and tank.

Another factor to think about, as we are now overthinking the small stuff, is that the spring might pull some heat out of the membrane sandwich...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had a 4psi spring in for Street driving and it's not enough to have fun. So I put in a 10 lb spring.
My launch boost is 10lb anyway, and, at the track it requires less dome psi to acheive target boost.
I find it better overall with the 10lb spring than a super light spring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts