Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car has 110 Springs in a rear now but rear is now a hundred and fifty pounds heavier what spring should I try or will these still work? I haven't had a chance to go under it and see if the shock is riding at the correct height still or not

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Depending on where the adjusters were before, and how much the springs were squeezed, just crank them up a few turns.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I don't think its enough to require a spring change.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Some simple math:

110lb/inch springs are assumed proper before 150lbs was added.
Assume 150lbs is evenly distributed over both shocks (or scaled corners), so 75lbs additional per corner
75lbs divided by 110lbs equals the amount of added preload to compensate for the new corner weight.
75/110 = .68 inch or about 11/16" extra preload needed to keep the same ride height.
If you have the adjustment length available, you can try it.
If you don't, then you'd need to scale the corners, measure or know your shock travel and where you need the rear end height for all the cool instant center and anti-squat stuff, do a little ciphering and figger out the new coil spring rate.
This is all static stuff. That 150lbs needs to be lifted up at launch and 110lb/inch springs won't have the same response time that a stiffer spring rate (or before the added weight) would.

I guess the other question would be: Is 75lbs more than 10% of the current rear corner weight?

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great information..no 75 pounds added corner weight is more than 10%.last time on scales think each rear corner was around 520.plenty of adjustment left on spring collars .have to measure shock for ride height as soon as I can get new tires mounted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts