Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever hear of using a press or vice to squeeze a piston and spread the skirts back out?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes. I read an atricle years ago about a local racer that put pressure on them w/a porta power and left them there for hours. He said in the article that he wouldn't do it for a customer because it was risky, but he did it on his own stuff.

·
Butch
8,208 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yes. I read an atricle years ago about a local racer that put pressure on them w/a porta power and left them there for hours. He said in the article that he wouldn't do it for a customer because it was risky, but he did it on his own stuff.

The racer was Bill Weckman from Granite City, IL. I remember the trick was to not use a lot of pressure and let them sit overnight.

If I were going to try it, I would ;

1. Practice on a junk piston

2. Use a little heat before putting any pressure on it

3. Start with very little pressure

·
Registered
275 Posts
My brother used to do it all the time to his two stroke pistons. He did it to the old Wiseco forged and the stock Honda cast pistons. He found that the skirt collapsed sooner and sooner...it was the begining of the end. Of course a two stroke dirtbike cylinder is apart alot compared to a car....easy to watch things.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Back when I was way poorer than I am now, I "recycled" pistons (and lots of other parts). I used a small machinest jack to spread the skirts. If you're careful, it works but they collapse much quicker.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
You want to try something neat? Take an old piston and tap the skirt tips with a dead blow hammer. With careful work you'd be suprized how much you can spread the tips. :-fire

1 - 7 of 7 Posts