Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
355 sbc, 12.2:1, billet roller - (.700 lift, 283/296 @ .050, 108lsa, 104ic in at 105, rpm range 5000-9000 rpm). high rpm n/a motor that has never been sprayed. Just curious about spraying with a long duration small block cam.

any thoughts?

This is my first post and I didn't see the "newbie" thread thing so for those of you who are about to cuss me out, I say eat sh*t in advance just in case.

just kidding, let me have it with both barrels if you must.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I wouldn't spray over 200 on that cam, but the good thing about nitrous, you probably wouldn't have to spin the motor so high to make power. If you try to spray much, it'll probably blow through your converter anyway, which I'm assuming probably stalls 6000+.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This motor was built for a different set-up, I dropped it in a tube chassis vega with a 4.10 gear, 33-10.5W tire and powerglide. Converter is an 8" 4800 stall 10 diode neal chance converter. I got the nitrous based stall because a 6000+ rpm stall would probably blow thru even with a small shot. Whether or not it will launch without the shot remains to be seen. Not sure what rpm I will launch at (either 2 step or full stall),. This cam doesn't smooth out until about 4500 rpm so I'm not sure if it hurts anything to hit the spray off the brake at anything under 4500. any thoughts?

·
Chupa Cabra
9,824 Posts
It won't hurt to have the nitrous activate at a RPM lower than 4500. Rule of thumb is don't active the nitrous until 3000 rpm. I know some guys don't even use a window switch and only have a WOT switch on their cars. I wouldn't personally do that, but some do.

Where does the motor make peak HP and where do you shift it on motor? On anything but very small amounts of nitrous your engine will peak at a lower RPM and lay over sooner due to exhaust gas contamination and it displacing fresh charge.

So if your operating range is 5000-9000 now, on a 200 shot it would most likely change to 4500-8500. Possibly 4500-8200 depending on how much area the heads, intake manifold and headers have.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts