Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 8" converter most always goes to 5100rpm on the transbrake up against the converter. Now, It only goes to 4200. First thought was it was down on power. I did a compression check, wires, ignition, plugs, CARB, etc. Even check to be sure gas pedal was opening carb all the way up. 250hp nitrous plate(93N /73F). With my TH400( 2.48/1.48 ),When I left at 5100, nitrous would flash the converter to 6400. Shift to 2nd gear at 7200 drops back to 6600rpm Shift to 3rd gear at 7200 drops back to 6800.

I had one instance where it went from 4300 to 5100 just stayed on the converter/transbrake a tad longer In the pits on jackstands. Weird! from that point it's been stalling only 4000-4300. I know, I'm not suppose to be using my converter as a dyno, Not on a regular bases, just now only that I am trying to find the power or issue. I might have already killed the converter??? as I ALWAYS leave on the converter.

I do my burnouts from 2nd to 3rd, let out before tires hook. The 60ft has fell from 1.27 to 1.31 to 1.34.

I found this quote and thought this might be what is wrong with mine. Would like to know if there is any truth to it?:

The most common place for a converter to fail is in the sprag. If it starts slipping, you won't be able to get the converter up to the stall speed that it should normally get to. The car runs slower on the track as a result.

Thanks for any help on this.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is why I'm not a trans expert. I thought the sprag grabbed a hold of the motor as one issue... and laid over fins was high rpm and loss of ET as a seperate issue.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have a MSD HVC II coil PN# 8261, found the positive terminal on the coil was smokin hot BY THE TOUCH! Ouch! I believe this might be the issue. car runs and does not miss. The ground to the coil is good. Just bad coil?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts