Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
nope. but the best advice i got from cameron @ TCS is, if you leave the sprag on the bench then it cant break in the car.lol

·
Nitrous Junky
10,820 Posts
It all depends on what you really NEED out of your conveter. Power level has alot to do with it to ;)

·
Ice Cream Wolfpack
18,500 Posts
Read Dusty Bradford's comment in the PTC thread...It's in the racing discussion forum. He said (on the PTC converters anyway) that there was very little difference on his.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
I was wondering if that car making that much power would allow it to run well with no sprag, vs. something like mine that makes alot less....
The car making more power would want to push through the converter more than the car with less power. So the car with less power would work just as well with no sprag.

Like I said in the other post. Alot of it comes down to the design of the converter. Some can benefit from a diode, some don't. As for the turbo converters I sell a diode has been proven to do very little if anything at all. Other than break the stator support tube if it isn't a high quality piece. And a sprag............it will fail eventually, you just don't know when. In my own car. I run spragless.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
what is indicator of a sprag breaking?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
noticed last few races stall on motor was less than what it should be.

I will send it back and have it checked

·
Registered
301 Posts
Over the years I have broken a crap load of sprags. Always the same go up on the gas and it will not rev or wont hit the 2-step.
Now I have a PTC spragless & a Neal chance with a mechanical diode and they both work about the same.

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Converter will have very little stall as if it's fully coupled.

They do usually break coming out of the burnout, also that's the most likely spot the stator tube will break as well.

When you get the converter out, check the stator tube 1st to see if it will spin in the pump. If the tube is good the sprag or diode is the next thing to check.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Abruzzi is building some really good spragless converters.

·
waiting to make a pass!
18,370 Posts
mine would burnout fine, launch fine, but on the 1-2 shift the rpm's would drop from 8100 to 5700 lugging the motor. the damage usually happens coming out of the waterbox to high and backing out of the gas allowing the tires to shake upon lockup.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts