Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see some guys say lean and mean, and other are saying rich. Right now I have my tune setup on the rich side 11.2 gas scale on e85 with 26* of timing it spools very fast. But what is better, more fuel or less?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Since I dont have a transbrake, Ive been fooling with this to get better spool on the footbrake with a PT88 on a 5.3. Mine likes retarded timing (like 5 degrees) and lots of fuel, goes from 3 lbs to 13lbs and climbing with only partial throttle.

·
Registered
98 Posts
A Lean burn burns hot and late so creates a lot of heat in the exhaust gases- a lot of four cylinder guys who don't have anti-lag will spool it up this way. Retarded and rich is more or less what an anti-lag system does- throws partially burnt gases into the manifold where the residual fuel continues to burn in the piping and in the hot side of the turbo housing (and out of the exhaust- hence the flames).
What's better? Whatever works for you in your application- for standing start drag racing I don't see any reason at all to run lean. If you need to spool up a big mill while your cruising on the highway- that's a different story...

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I see some guys say lean and mean, and other are saying rich. Right now I have my tune setup on the rich side 11.2 gas scale on e85 with 26* of timing it spools very fast. But what is better, more fuel or less?
Low 13's to spool it up. Then try a couple more degree's to see if it likes it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have always had the best luck with lean, rich seems to be sluggish getting off the line. Just my experience which has always been on manual trans 4 cyl.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
honk is the 40 degrees a starting line number.....whats your max boost
and how much boost are you seeing on the starting line
at what point are you pulling timing

·
Chupa Cabra
9,824 Posts
I have always used 40-45* up to 100kpa, and leave about 30* in it till 5psi then slowly taper it down to [email protected] From there yank the rug out from under it by pulling the timing back 12-16 degrees and pour the fuel to it to get it popping and banging in the pipes.

I found with the timing pulled way back and fat initially it would never get over the converter in enough time to keep trans temp under 220-230 degrees before even leaving the starting line. Now I didn't have an ice box or tank or anything like that, so some guys with that equipment might not experience what I did.

I found by adding timing and leaning it out initially that it would power through the converter easier, and once I got some manifold and exhaust pressure built, then I could let it pop and bang in the pipes to get it where I really wanted it.

·
Registered
24,632 Posts
I've been doing some experimenting with mine and I'm kinda where Widow is .

I leave 40 in it until its on the converter then as soon as I hit the trans brake it pulls it to 25 degrees . When its released at 7psi , I have 36 degrees in it then pull it back aggressively to 30 degrees at 15psi ( seems to help it get out ) . Then back to 25 degrees at 26psi ............. for now until I can get some balls .

I leave the power valves closed until 7 psi though , and it still leaves a little fat ........... again .... need balls . lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts