Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Ive searched and have seen the question asked a million times, but for a TRUE street car as in one that gets driven close to 5000 miles a year even on a highway with some turns, with a DOT drag tire and will see rain at times, is a spool a bad idea? Will i need special axles (going 35 spline regardless)

Its either a spool or a powerlock or traklok in my dana 60, and im torn which way to go...Im nervous that ill make a mistake on the street and put the car into a wall, or that im going to eat tires up like crazy (more than 1 set a season is pushing it for me)

This is a stick car also, so i dont want unloading during shifts thats going to put me into the wall

please share and describe your experiences!

·
Registered
15,065 Posts
My old pro-street chevelle had a spool and i drove the hell out of it(never in rain!) and it did eat tires like a mofo!!!;)

·
itsjunk
2,118 Posts
i had a problem with axle seals when i ran my car with a mini spool on the street.. go for a good clutch type posi and drive the shit out of it

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Spool and dry pavement...ok
Spool and wet pavement....ummmmm... but stick and detroit lockers can be just as bad in the wet
yes they are rough on tires.....but hey, there maintenance free

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how bad am i gonna wear out a soft tire like an et street (thats what I have right now)
Also, on a slightly twisty highway at 60mph, should I be shitting my pants?

·
The Grouch
3,103 Posts
I ran a spool for years on the street. Daily driver , I would put a few thousand miles a year on the car with no problems. In the rain you need to be smart about it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
It's fine... I drive my car everywhere, rain or shine. My et streets sometimes look like tennis balls.... But what can you do? Just save the burnouts for the track and it's not even that bad on rubber. Soft tires wear out right?

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ran a spool for years on the street. Daily driver , I would put a few thousand miles a year on the car with no problems. In the rain you need to be smart about it.
In the rain if i was to turn, would i have to let off the gas and coast until the wheels are straight again?
How about in the dry when turning, on or off the gas?

sorry if this is all newb, i just dont want to leave anything to chance

·
The Grouch
3,103 Posts
In the rain if i was to turn, would i have to let off the gas and coast until the wheels are straight again?
How about in the dry when turning, on or off the gas?

sorry if this is all newb, i just dint want to leave anything to chance
You should have no problem driving normal. Just don't be romping on it around corners. You will find what it takes. No big deal.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
This car had a spool and a 6-71 blower and I drove it all over. You aren't gonna go into a wall if you get on it. Mine drove straight as an arrow. Tight turns are the only thing that are impossible. I always had to take two shots to get in and out of my driveway.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
if you hate working on the rear end, put the spool in...i`ve used them for decades!!:cool: just don`t make real sharp turns in the rain!!RealCute: i`m fuckin lazy so i installed a sight plug so i didn`t have to take off the cover to look at the gears...

·
Gigity
3,140 Posts
parking lots suck with a spool, as does any tight turn-kinda feels like the brakes are dragging hard, but normal city/ highway driving is fine. My biggest issue with the spool and 295/55/15 DR's is trying to pull into a parking spot at the local cruise spot. Otherwise, I have no regrets about going to a spool. I run a 5 spd.
ps I DO NOT even drive my car in the rain, so I cant comment. I could see it being " loose"....

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
im amazed at everyone supporting the spool, even for cars that see lots of miles
Is it uncommon to go through more than 1 set of tires a season street driving with a spool and putting on close to 5k a year on mileage?

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
parking lots suck with a spool, as does any tight turn-kinda feels like the brakes are dragging hard, but normal city/ highway driving is fine. My biggest issue with the spool and 295/55/15 DR's is trying to pull into a parking spot at the local cruise spot. Otherwise, I have no regrets about going to a spool. I run a 5 spd.
ps I DO NOT even drive my car in the rain, so I cant comment. I could see it being " loose"....
What made you swap from the trak lok? peace of mind?
any tire wear problems?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts