Yellow Bullet Forums banner

Sponsors - sportsman racers

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  mrdragster1970 
#1 ·
I have noticed bracket cars and index cars 8.50 ,10.00 and bracket cars with sponsors and i always wondered this more of a local deal as write offs ?
example Why would a tire company come on board a 8.50 or a 10.00 car ? like MT or Hoosier with not a ton to offer ?

How are the bracket guys or index racers in your area doing sponsor deals if they are maybe they are not
Money deals or parts ?

I have only been racing a few years and do it out of pocket , but always wondered how some others do it

#3 ·

I've been doing this a very long time, and 99.999% of the slow cars with sponsors are friends, family or have some kind of business relationship!!!
A lot of the guys will put their company on theirs.
My business doesn't work like that, so I never bothered, it doesn't help me in any way.
Others might, and even if you get 1 customer a month from it, it's a positive.

I've had guys ask about it on my T/S car thinking it would be a few hundred bucks.
I said that doesn't even cover 1 event, and would never even consider it unless it was substantial amount.
Obviously a local excavator, insulation company etc etc will never pay that kind of dough,
and again, I had a relationship with them.

I wish it was easier for all levels of dragracing to get sponsors, but we are the redheaded step child of racing.
Plenty of great racers out there at all levels that deserve a little backing!!!

#4 ·
A lot of times product sponsors let you buy at or a couple percent above dealer cost, at least that's how it worked when I was circle track racing.. It was pretty much limited to what I only needed, meaning I couldn't buy product for my buddies.I did have one product sponsor that would give me up to certain dollar amount of product a year for free. Racing has always been monkey see monkey do, so in my opinion it doesn't matter if your racing pro stock or footbrake, people copy what winners do.

#5 ·
I had an oil company offer me $2,000 a year to run their products, and a huge sticker. But the catch was, you had to run I think 5 divisional, and 3 nationals. Didn’t fall for that one. That would maybe cover the expenses for 1 or 2 events. And we only ran 1 or 2 events a year at the time. Now, we ran locally weekly.

#8 ·
That's an Associate Sponsor package. 10 or 15 more like it and you're racing a good part of the year on other people's money.

#6 ·

Exactly my point, they have no clue what it costs to run these things, and think a few bucks is huge:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Plus many of us that could travel for a series would lose more money not being at work getting production done!!!

#10 ·
I have a slow bracket car and a local machine /speed shop gives me free machine work and cost on parts in trade for the shops name on my door. I also have a nice relationship with a local transmission shop, a small sticker on rear window in trade for cost on parts and free assembly.

#12 ·
I've done it for 20 years with a nine second car. You won't get millions like a John Force, but lots of companies out there that will pay $50,000, $100,00 or $200,00 a year for exposure. The real trick is providing a return on investment.
Lots of guys could score a small deal like $10,000 a season and it would make a huge difference, but you gotta run it like a business and provide return on investment for the sponsor.
Most racers just don't care. They want to go racing, have fun, and thats fine.
It all depends on what you want to do.

#13 ·

So how many hours a year do they demand for a nine second car, at $200,000 if your name is NOT Dan Fletcher????

What kind of return can an ugly old 6 second car provide a business???
You are definitely correct about the racing only deal.
As a business owner that had projects running in & out of town, and trying to run a racecar team by yourself.
There was not enough hours in the day to have a 3rd job servicing & seeking sponsors.

Personally I pay every nickle, but I'm going to retire in the next few month's, and will actually have more time.
I was planning to run a regional series only.
If that goes well, maybe in 2022 consider running Division 3, and maybe even running 2 classes??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.