Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive read in several post on here, theres more to it then just cfm velocity this, throat that, etc. etc. ive also seen statements that essentially, engines are just air pumps, and i agree.from what ive read, smokey created the spintron which aids in durabilty issues valvetrain geometry setup? ive also noticed a head manufacturer touting a new wet flow bench, in which im sure further resembles the nature of a cylinder port in real life conditions. maybe this already exist, but why hasnt a device been made to measure flow....or "engine flow" out the header or tailpipe in conjuntion with the spintron, with an inert liquid being used to simulate fuel? thanks for any input on this

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
ive read in several post on here, theres more to it then just cfm velocity this, throat that, etc. etc. ive also seen statements that essentially, engines are just air pumps, and i agree.from what ive read, smokey created the spintron which aids in durabilty issues valvetrain geometry setup? ive also noticed a head manufacturer touting a new wet flow bench, in which im sure further resembles the nature of a cylinder port in real life conditions. maybe this already exist, but why hasnt a device been made to measure flow....or "engine flow" out the header or tailpipe in conjuntion with the spintron, with an inert liquid being used to simulate fuel? thanks for any input on this
why would flow be measured with a liquid coming out the exhaust? I dont know much but isnt the fuel air mix converted to energy by spark? the energy made would have a higher speed(?) coming out the exhaust?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good point, just a thought i had in my head, im no pro by any means. maybe no liquid then, just a means to measure overall pumping efficiency out the exhaust.....

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
good point, just a thought i had in my head, im no pro by any means. maybe no liquid then, just a means to measure overall pumping efficiency out the exhaust.....
Was talking to friend the other day about this very subject; makes you think, doesn't it? ;)

Just a suggestion, go to the library or Amazon and get one of these books, The Internal-Combustion Engine in Theory...Taylor, (two volumes) Design and Simulation of Four-Stroke Engines...Blair, or Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals...Heywood. And, read it.

You won't regret it.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thatd be the second time both of those have been recommended too me...guess ill have to hit the barnes n noble up

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and yes ...i think....ive done port work that didnt show on the bench, but made more power on the dyno....so i can only conclude that there would be a more concise way of measuring cylinder head or engine airflow

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
id think itd most definately change something.....less the cylinder pressure....the exhaust valve wont endure the same amount off stress or force?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
id think itd most definately change something.....less the cylinder pressure....the exhaust valve wont endure the same amount off stress or force?

Yep, with the pressure fighting the valve opening it would cause the rocker and push rod to flex and react way different than on a spintron, i would think?

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Yep, with the pressure fighting the valve opening it would cause the rocker and push rod to flex and react way different than on a spintron, i would think?
Everything is a spring, to some extent, in our software simulations we call them actuators. I don't know if Spintron allows this type of input into their software...but it would be cool if they did.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how a head falls off flow but put an intake on it and it evens itself out. Then why don't they flow the head with the intake on? Maybe they do. If that is true then the air filter and carb need to be on also right? I love this like of reading. Makes me think I know something even though it just shows me how stupid I am because it confuse's me even more then I was before I read it.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
have heard the same thing. only it seems no one speaks about the heads that are more sensitive. heard the tw's are like that. when I had my 205's reflowed I would have had them (tea) flow them with the intake after it was port matched.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts