Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Struggling to get a couple things working together.
3,050lbs, 50/50 weight distribution.
4speed/4.88 rear/ ladder bars-parrelel to the ground. Ran a [email protected]/1.32-60ft.
Issue is can't find a range of settings that work pass to pass,week to week etc.
Skates off the line or deadhooks and really rides the bars....sometimes not straight. 馃檲
Stiffen front and lower w_bars..no traction.
Loosen or raise bars one pass good one terrible without touching it.
Lost on how to find some middle ground....馃檨

Registered
Have you calculated what your SLR is?

Registered
Did you take more base out of it? Raise tire pressure,soften rear shocks? Keep dropping base til it slips high gear. I believe you said you had 12+grams per lever on it so you have plenty of counterweight

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I'm down to 8 grams per lever and 4 turns base.
SLR 15.43? I think.
More air 12lbs...spins.
11.5 seems to be the best.
Tightened front.
Haven't touched the rear yet.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Still not getting any slip.
Am hesitant to keep taking base out till I get the chassis repeatable. Since one affects the other.

Registered
Still not getting any slip.
Am hesitant to keep taking base out till I get the chassis repeatable. Since one affects the other.
That starting line ratio seams really high to me. What first gear in the trans?

Registered
What rpm are you trying to leave at. At that wt and Hp you really shouldn鈥檛 be having traction problems if you are racing at a good track. If your car has a forward rake then the ladder bar parallel with the ground is wrong. You need a slight down angle in comparison to the frame or rocker panel. I raced my car for many years with a stick with much more SLR than what you are running now with a heavier clutch and rarely spun the tires. Check your geometry and make sure the suspension is not in a bind. I think you might have too much air in the tires. I would drop to about 10 psi. That s where I used to run my bias tires with a stick. I didn鈥檛 run stiff tires either.

Registered
As I understand it, a decent starting line ratio is between 8 and 10. I really think there too much first gear in that trans. I ran a hemi crash box with a 309 first gear, a 29x12.5 slick and a 4.56 gear. Weighing 3400#, traction for me was average at best. I really think your first gear should be switched to the 2.66 that was available, and you'll bring your SLR down into the 12.9 range. Not great, but better.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
What rpm are you trying to leave at. At that wt and Hp you really shouldn鈥檛 be having traction problems if you are racing at a good track. If your car has a forward rake then the ladder bar parallel with the ground is wrong. You need a slight down angle in comparison to the frame or rocker panel. I raced my car for many years with a stick with much more SLR than what you are running now with a heavier clutch and rarely spun the tires. Check your geometry and make sure the suspension is not in a bind. I think you might have too much air in the tires. I would drop to about 10 psi. That s where I used to run my bias tires with a stick. I didn鈥檛 run stiff tires either.
I leave at 5,000.
Only 3 holes in front bracket.
Might be able to lower rear a bit.
Have to look into that.
Will try lower air too.

Registered
What shocks are you running at both ends?

Registered
I leave at 5,000.
Only 3 holes in front bracket.
Might be able to lower rear a bit.
Have to look into that.
Will try lower air too.
Yes you can adjust the ride height to help with geometry. My car would not work at all with up angle on the ladder bar. Tested that back to back many times. I had a couple of different transmissions. One was a 3.05 low and the other was a 3.19. Ram clutch with an 11 lb wheel. Either a 5.86 or 6:17 gear in the rear. 2 time national record holder with that combo.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
So spent the morning measuring and experimenting.
Bar is parallel to the ground.
Body .5* nosedown .
Lowered body .750 = .5* nosedown bar.
Lowest front hole = 3.5* nosedown in relation to body.
Too much?
Tried it once years ago squatted some much tire got into the quarter panel.
Can squat be controlled by shock settings?
At #6.... has 13 settings

Registered
Ladder bars and a stick ...... buddy, you need to invest in quality double adjustable shocks at both ends!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts