Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you mount an alt backwards. Meaning pulley facing the engine and spin it backwards will it work properly. Have an adverse effect of lifespan or charging amps. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Its still will work but issues with the cooling aspect will change, fan turning backward may not cool properly.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Ill start making my mounts

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Well on a drag car that runs for a short period of time, it wouldnt be an issue. Do it for any length of time and it will become an issue. Most fans are for CW rotation. Exception to theat is Honda Civic alternators, and some other Denso alternators. Also the CS130D will cool going both directions. So make your mounts for a 1996 GM or Chevy Truck w/350 and you can have a HD alternator, that will cool all right too.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I've run the alternator nose to nose off the front of the balancer for years. There's a lovejoy coupling between the two. It makes for a clean setup.

It works fine but it takes about 1200 rpm to start it charging as it's only turning crank speed.

I don't have this boat anymore but you can see the alternator,

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
No. In this day and age you dont want to be using a 10si alternator anymore any way. All decent alternators have internal fans, or internal/external fans. So the CS130D, big truck alternators, and 2 of the Honda alternators are the only ones that are di-directonal or CCW rotation. The CS130D is an easy one wire and can be made explosion proof for boats too. Through in bigger bearings, avalanche diodes, and a great charge curve, and it should be the alternator of choice. Its only draw back is that out of the 10-15 housings/mounts for them, none are identical to the older style GM. They use to make one that was very clsoe for Ford mounts, but most places (all that I know of) have stopped making it. So the easiest to mount seems to be the 8206-5 which is off a 96 Chev pickup with a 350. You of ocurse can get it modified for different outputs, one wire, and explosion proof design in the aftermarket.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I've run a CS130 backwards for years. With limited access between the frame rails, I couldn't even do a low mount so the next best thing was to mount it backwards. Also using a crank mandrel to drive a vacuum and fuel pump, the only position a pulley could be installed for the alternator was right next to the crank trigger.

The alternator doesn't care which direction it spins. As mentioned above, the only real issue may be in cooling. For a drag car, the alternator demand isn't long enough to justify changing how it's cooled.

One other thing that may become an issue is the pulley nut. There's always a very small possibility that the nut could spin off as the alternator shaft is spinning in a direction to allow the nut to back itself off. Then nut would have to be torqued very loosely for this to ever happen.

You may get a lot of people saying that a drag car doesn't need an alternator so why bother trying to mount one if room is limited. Going down the track, electronics, fans etc run much better with more than 12v plus I never have to use a battery charger between rounds. Mounting an alternator however you can is much better than trying to run without one although it can be difficult finding the best way to mount it.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Yes. It is meant for EMS or big truck applications, so it is bi-directional.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I used a reverse mount alt on the street for years with 0 problems. 94-97 4cyl accord alt is what i used, 80 amps and is designed to spin the way u want it.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
sweet wanna mount 2 nose to nose and use a common pulley
Facing each other is one thing, the common pulley too hard. It would also likely not have enough belt contact to cover the power transfer to two alternators in the same spot.

I take it your stereo/project truck is evolving? Or are you looking to have back power for your house, and your neighbors? I am a Dimension Dealer too, LOL. (Good quality inustrial duty inverters)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Facing each other is one thing, the common pulley too hard. It would also likely not have enough belt contact to cover the power transfer to two alternators in the same spot.

I take it your stereo/project truck is evolving? Or are you looking to have back power for your house, and your neighbors? I am a Dimension Dealer too, LOL. (Good quality inustrial duty inverters)
i was going to use a blower belt :smt066
but tell me more about these inverters i have a xbox 360 and a gamecube it might be neat to use

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
Damn, I was joking about putting the invertor in it. Though I had a 3600watt in my Suburban, and they can be usefull. The EMS units are big and ugly, and will be difficult to pretty up. They are pretty much bullet proof, and there are only two companys I really trust with running computer/computerized products. Vannar and Dimensions (both US companies), lots of companys advertise pure sin wave or computer compatibility, but they are not. Both are a little less than $1 a watt. So super expensive, I think like $1800-$2000 for 2400watts. Very tried, tested and true, lasting forever in industrial applications where they are used 24/7 sometimes.

My main customer for invertors recently asked us to supply from a Chinese manufacturer. They are pure sin wave and moffset design. They have had one running 1/2 million dollars worth of test equipment in a van since last spring. They are a much smaller invertor because of the moffset design. Only $600 too. So they are interesting. But I havent seen lots of them in use for lots of years, to say they are a good alternative. Powering my house in an ice storm, I would want the Dimensions, powering my Xbox, probably the chinese unit.

Your fifth wheel for work or a house trailer? You are getting to the point where with your batteries and invertor, you could go off grid. :) If this is part of the idea, you could change up the battery bank type to suit that instead of the stereo. The stereo would still be happy.

·
Registered
26,607 Posts
If you are on Facebook, I have a friend that jsut created a group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=23399458845 He is getting ready to have a sale of end of line stuff from last year. He carries some higher end audio pieces, might be worth a look for you. Lots of places like that everywhere though. The key is getting someone to tell you what you need to get in the first place. Chris, six_shooter on here is a guy that can do that well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts