Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Maybe tracks need to put a better product out there to justify a family to go there rather than drag ass for hours with the tire dragging going on and not much racing. High ass concessions not going to help either. People have 2/3 hour attention span no one wants to sit at the track all day. It's too much other shit to do for the $$$. If they worried about live feed maybe they should cut it all together it would probably save them money.

·
Registered
946 Posts
The subscription model is bs. I don't mind paying a reasonable price on a pay per view bases. Most of these races are on while I'm racing, or I maybe at that race. But anything paid should be good quality and NO ads. If the damn tractor is riding up and down the track, have someone walking around doing interviews. I don't care if they interview Stevie Fast or a 10 year old at their first race. I know the ppv would be hard for the provider not knowing they were going to make money or not, until it's a done deal but thats business. Do a good job and I would pay on ppv plan.

·
Registered
163 Posts
This is what happens when you legalize pot.

I don't mind paying for a subscription. I have a mtod.com & nhra.tv subscription and neither are anywhere near the cost. In fact, I'm not renewing the nhra.tv sub because the production quality sucks.

I can get Disney+, Hulu & Netflix with money left over.
o_O

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think they are shooting themselves in the foot. I have no problem paying to see a race at a reasonable price, but to have to pay for a whole season that I will only watch maybe 3 races of isn't very attractive. I too subscribe to a few car networks that have top notch quality. While I realize this is not of that scale then neither should be the price. For me it's just not a good value.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
For those that say that live streaming takes away from "butts in the seats" are kidding themselves or are just trying to help out Speed Video by justifying it! I have been either racing a car or watching drag racing for almost 50-years and can tell you that there is ZERO comparison between being at the track to watch a race and watching a live feed.I would venture to guess that less than 5% (and that's being generous) of the drag racing fans would stay home to watch a feed over going to the track if they lived close enough to the track to actually attend! You don't believe me ask any fan that's ever been to a live race. The only reason that I ever watch a live feed over going to the track is because the event is more than 3-4 hours away from my house and is too expensive to fly there. Do you really think that SV is giving part of their subscription purse to the track owner to make up for poor attendance? Did anyone watch the "free" portion of SV's feed of Lights out 11 this week? They are having the same issues as last year and already blaming it on getting used to the "new equipment". That's BS because now that their getting subscription money there shouldn't be any excuses at the expense of the fans who have paid for it.
I would be more for the track (or promoter) charging a PPV fee and hiring out the crew to do the feed because that way the track makes money and the fans can pick and choose which events they feel is worth their money. It's also an incentive for the owner or promoter to put on a better show to compete with other tracks for a better pay day. It would also provide for competition between the companies that provide live feeds because the better professionals would get more of the work. With this subscription service you can have a shit show and a lousy live feed, but SV will still get the same amount of money so where is the incentive? Rant over!

·
aka old_shoe
15,722 Posts
👉👉 SpeedVideo Friday Free Content Schedule. Please share.
Due to the weather/schedule changes, Speedvideo and DuckX have decided to expand the free content part of the broadcast today for the non-subscribers. Enjoy the following on Friday at www.SpeedVideo.com
FRIDAY RUN ORDER:
FREE PREVIEW:
DXP Street
Pro 275
Open Comp
SB NOS N/T
Ultra Street
LDR
Limited Street
Carolina N/T
* SPEEDVIDEO SUBSCRIBERS ONLY *
RVwW Q3
x275 Q3
If you want to subscribe, you can do so at www.speedvideo.com/signup
*Subject to Change
Image may contain: car, sky, cloud and outdoor

·
Registered
671 Posts
It's too bad they don't have a pay per event option that's around $10 or so. I'd like to watch Lights Out but $25 seems a bit steep to me and you have to subscribe and remember to cancel your subscription at that price.

·
Registered
720 Posts
They must have continued the "free" content into Saturday because I haven't paid shit and I'm sitting here watching their feed live, sponsored by Comp Cams I might add.

I don't think this paid subscription stuff will work for them. I've seen this tried before and it always fails. Very few people are going to pay $200 a year for low quality live feeds. I suppose the good news is, once everyone stops tuning into the events, all the big heads up races and PDRA events will move back to MMTV where they will be free once again and broadcast in much more reliable fashion, paid for by sponsors. Speed Video has always been terrible for me. But being free, I could at least tolerate the frequent buffering and time outs. But for $200 a year? Hell effing no!

It'll suck that so many of us have to miss out on most of the good races in 2020, but I suspect we'll be back to the old sponsor paid, free to watch model in 2021 when all the organizations drop Speed Video (which nobody will be watching) and return to MMTV.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Looks like the free feed is over. I'd like to see what the viewer numbers look like after the free feed stops.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Looks like the free feed is over. I'd like to see what the viewer numbers look like after the free feed stops.
My guess is the 3,000 viewers dropped to about 30 the instant they hit the switch. Oh well, their streaming service, their decision. But IMHO, they've made a terrible choice going to this model. They just about had the drag racing market cornered and I'm sure they were getting by just fine with the money generated by ads. But as so often happens, success breeds greed. And greed often breeds downfall.

·
Registered
776 Posts
No one is saying it is a single reason, but it is a contributing factor. Tracks need butts in the seats and at the concession stands, live feeds most certainly effect those numbers.
So if that is the case, they should just give some of the live feed commercial revenue to the track/promoter. Watching on a screen and live in the stands and pits are two different worlds. I can't see if someone is close by and loves the event, what would prevent them from going. For me... I watch the live feeds at events I am 100s or 1000+ miles away. If I'm within a couple hours drive I go live. I'm not going to Georgia or Ca or Fl to watch a race, but I'd love to watch it live stream. Just fill up the down time with commercials from great speed/performance companies. I learn a lot about those companies and buy their products. Or a reasonable per event price. I paid for March Meet last year and loved it.

But if the trend is huge per year $$$ subscriptions... Count me out. I can't see why just putting commercials on the feed wouldn't work. There has got to be performance companies willing to advertise on some of these incredible events.

·
Registered
15,998 Posts
I would have no issues with a charge of $10 per event. $25 for a month, when there is only one real event I want to watch that month, is steep, when you consider, most of us just having it running in the back ground while doing other things, and run to the TV when the "pro" classes, or when the announcers speak of a certain pair of racers coming to the line.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Here is the way I see it 200 dollars year is nothing, you probably spend twice that at McDonald’s in a year, Cost a whole lot more to travel to these races they are streaming. Being involved in racing is not for low budget individuals.
Steve
i am low budget and probably race more than 90% of the members here. My tow vehicle is 21 years old, my open trailer is 30 years old and my junky bracket beater has been a drag car for 52 years but its all at the track EVERY week competing. If you race what you can afford you tend to do it a lot more.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Nobody paid.
And nobody will. Extremely few people are willing to pay a much lower price for an annual subscription to NHRA TV's streaming service. And obviously that is the premiere drag racing organization in the country with the biggest fan following and the top fuel and funny car classes which would be the two classes most people would be willing to shell out money to watch. Yet only a handful do. But somehow Speed Video thinks they can charge more for a lower quality production that doesn't feature nitro and is mostly stuff like PDRA and NMCA. I bet the "chat bleachers" last weekend during the paid portion of the broadcast looked much like the stands at a national event track hosting a divisional or bracket racing event. Moving to paid subscriptions was a monumentally DUMB decision for SV.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts