Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made 2-1/8 mile passes on this engine with my 2-stage speedtech plate.Leave on 250 another 250 at 1.00 out.I have noticed a few pops or misses(whatever you call it) around 500 to 550 feet to out the 1/8.I know i should have read the plugs but i didn't.Would you think it was rich on fuel,lean,timing,or plugs.This is a 468 bbc 12.5 comp. 345 heads,ngk plugs -11 heat range,flowing pressure was 6lbs on both systems,pulled 11 deg on first,and 9 on second from 37 deg total.Ran 6.50 on motor,and 5.40 @ 129on this tune with 1.21 sixty.What would you do or what's your experience with the plate.I would like to get the 2nd kit on at .7 to.8 but not before i find the problem with the tuneup.Thanks all help appreciated.

·
Registered
254 Posts
probably gunna have to give us a detailed description of your nitrous and fuel delivery set up.. to me it sounds like its going fat up top. runnin outta nitrous.. but thats a stab in the dark at this point ...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Magna fuel 500 pump 10an hose into 3 port fuel log with 2 dead head quick fuel reg on the nitrous,and bg 2 port on the motor.I might add i'm running a hp1050 with 91 jets square no pv and Q-16 fuel.I run 1 bottle y'ed into both solenoids.I have my bottle pressure at 900 lbs beginning of the run.

·
1,344 Posts
Magna fuel 500 pump 10an hose into 3 port fuel log with 2 dead head quick fuel reg on the nitrous,and bg 2 port on the motor.I might add i'm running a hp1050 with 91 jets square no pv and Q-16 fuel.I run 1 bottle y'ed into both solenoids.I have my bottle pressure at 900 lbs beginning of the run.
You might not have enough jet in that carb for Q16 for starters, though don't know enough details on the carb to judge. (boosters, 2 or 3 circuit) I have to run 96 square in my Pro-Systems 1000 HP to get the A/F where the motor likes it. How is the motor tune N/A?

I have to second Bammer540's plug gap question.

·
Trevor Stripling
1,519 Posts
6lbs is way too low for a 2nd stage on a speedtech plate they recommed 6 for the 1st and 10 for the 2nd, use their tune, that is unless you are an expert with nitrous and if you did not read the plugs, well, you better use their tuneup. Sounds like your lucky to still have all the pistons in that thing. Call Speedtech, good luck with it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The 30 gap is a bit wide for a NOS application. I run mine at 25 N/A and on a single stage of 300 I run 20 on two stages of 300 I run 16.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
this is my speedtech tune
c16 fuel
36* base timing
250 1st kit remove 8* fuel press 5.8
250 2nd kit remove 7* fuel press 9.8
-11 heat range and .025 gap

this is my safe tune on the 383sbc 23* head motor in the luv.
it runs pretty good...strych9 can confirm

right now you are removing WAY too much timing and not enough FP on the second kit

and READ your plugs.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this is my speedtech tune
c16 fuel
36* base timing
250 1st kit remove 8* fuel press 5.8
250 2nd kit remove 7* fuel press 9.8
-11 heat range and .025 gap

this is my safe tune on the 383sbc 23* head motor in the luv.
it runs pretty good...strych9 can confirm

right now you are removing WAY too much timing and not enough FP on the second kit

and READ your plugs.....
I'm going to recheck my flowing pressure.I was thinking my instructions said 6lbs on both sytems.Now i think you guys may have found my problem,which will be a big mistake on mypart.Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
what type of ignition?
what are you using as a timer?

·
Trevor Stripling
1,519 Posts
this is my safe tune on the 383sbc 23* head motor in the luv....it runs pretty good...strych9 can confirm
Confirmed, that small block flat out hauls ass... QUIKLUV has a lot of experience with that plate. I'm still trying to catch him with a big block...

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
when i was reading about your fuel system info yousaid your nitrous used quick fuel regulators? im unsure what type of reg it is, but i had a magnafuel smallport regular on my plate and had issues with it being inconsistant during flowing and also making a pass the fuel pressure would bounce around(theres a whole thread dedicated to this) and had popping sometimes down low/upstairs/1/8th, went to a holley cheapy 12-803 and fixed all problems. i also like SJ-induction solutions timing idea.

·
Super Moderator
12,185 Posts
I would say that a big part of the reason for the higher fuel pressure on the second stage is because it has to stack on top of the first stage. If you know how this plate is made, the nitrous and fuel from both stages enter into the center of the plate into a common area each. For the second stage to add a noticable amount of fuel, the pressure has to be higher then the first stage to push up the overall volume..SJ

1 - 20 of 23 Posts