Yellow Bullet Forums banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Back when I was in HS we use to go to Bedford Ohio and hang around and buy some parts at Dragcraft Engineering which later became Gallavans. When Stone, Woods and Cook were in town they always kept their gasser there. Richard (Dick) Vanhuit was the main guy I remember. Midwest Auto Parts on Miles Ave. outside Cleveland was another neat place in the mid 60s. I also remember going to Summit when they were in a small strip mall off the interstate and you could see the store from the hwy but when you got off the road you couldn't find it. Lots easier to find them now. RM
Real, are you the brother of the late Denny McCoy? Hung out and did a lot of bench racing with Denny back in the day and actual racing at TDR for a few years. Miss old Denny and hope the Real McCoy Nova is still running somewhere.
Terry C.

·
Registered
665 Posts
In the New Jersey area we had Ben Pilla speed shops all over the place. There was also Pete Church performance. There was a place on Rt. 13 in Bristol,PA but I can not remember the name of it. Owners name was Jeff. He did some machine work for me years ago. May have been been called Precision performance but I'm not 100% on that.
We also Have Suttons speed shop in Pemberton,NJ. They're still open but I don't know what kind of business they're doing these days

Seen many come and go, quarter mile performance, Medford Speed Shop, Glenwood performance....and a few others.

Andalusia Speed was/is near there but think the place was something else that you are thinking of.

I dropped off a block off where you are thinking of, but can't remember the name either.

·
Registered
17,597 Posts
In the New Jersey area we had Ben Pilla speed shops all over the place. There was also Pete Church performance. There was a place on Rt. 13 in Bristol,PA but I can not remember the name of it. Owners name was Jeff. He did some machine work for me years ago. May have been been called Precision performance but I'm not 100% on that.
We also Have Suttons speed shop in Pemberton,NJ. They're still open but I don't know what kind of business they're doing these days

Seen many come and go, quarter mile performance, Medford Speed Shop, Glenwood performance....and a few others.
THe Shop your thinking of was Precision Performance Jeff K owned and ran it it was on Rte 13.
We also had Dunn & Grasso on rte 413 in Bristol, use to have many cars there all the time sponsored a couple too , then on the other side of town we had Langhorne Speed Shop on Rte 1.
Later on we had Ben Pilla on Street road in Feasterville, YB's own ISELLSPEED ran that shop There was a couple more Trenton Speed across the bridge in N.J.
I use to be in Precision Perf. all the time Jeff is a great guy and never had a problem telling you what would work and not to waste time or money on. He still sells Performance parts online as he moved his shop to a warehouse as competing against Online places like Summit was a challenge.
Also their was and still there is Napa Auto parts on Street road in Bensalem they did a lotof performance motor work not sure if they still do.

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
We never had speed shops here in the Bahamas, most of us back in the day, got parts from Murrys speec and custom in Miami.

·
46,940 Posts
That's cool! ^ ^ ^

Brings back memories for sure. (Especially the wood paneling laying sideways for the front of the counter Ha Ha)

God I miss those places. There's still a few by me but they are nothing like they used to be. Even Jan-Cen Automotive is now Jan-Cen Motorsports. Only a small portion of their showroom has trivial speed parts, the rest is filled with snowmobiles, 4 wheelers and clothing.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
That's cool! ^ ^ ^

Brings back memories for sure. (Especially the wood paneling laying sideways for the front of the counter Ha Ha)

God I miss those places. There's still a few by me but they are nothing like they used to be. Even Jan-Cen Automotive is now Jan-Cen Motorsports. Only a small portion of their showroom has trivial speed parts, the rest is filled with snowmobiles, 4 wheelers and clothing.
Actually, still have all that stuff.. ( not all of the product) Hell every now and then I still come across the ghastly orange pegboard..

·
46,940 Posts
Actually, still have all that stuff.. ( not all of the product) Hell every now and then I still come across the ghastly orange pegboard..
That was your place? :confused:

Got any of those steering wheels left? :p

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
That was your place? :confused:

Got any of those steering wheels left? :p
I grew up there..

That's actually my dad in the third pic..

This is my older brother in this pic.. s0, probably about 66 - 67...

Untitled by j t, on Flickr

..still have the Coke machine too....

...I would bet that there's one of those steering wheels still around..

·
42,732 Posts
We had a shop called East Coast Speed in Cranston RI. A guy named Vinny ran it, (aka Vinny's East Coast Speed),...then he had a partner Andy. It's still there, small 2 bay shop, and a dealer for all speed equipment. Andy still owns it.

http://www.andyseastcoastspeed.com/

There's another old one called R+S Speed Shop in Portsmouth RI that has a cool old school car show once every year, and the guy supplies all the food and drinks for everyone.

We also had a place called The Driver's Seat. A few locations around the state. They were more for us do it yourselfers, and didn't do work themselves.

All the speed shops used the same distributor of parts called Racer's Warehouse. It's was in East Providence,...and I'd go there myself, (we had the option) when the speed shop didn't have the part in stock, instead of going back the next day when it was delivered.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts