Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I'm new to auto trannys and am thus looking for advice. I just want to make a good purchase. I can get a what I think is a good deal on TH400 with transbrake for $1200 shipped. The tranny is supposedly rated @ 950 hp.

I will be using this tranny behind turbocharged 2jzGE
that will produce 800 to 850 whp through a manual tranny. This will go into a 1990 240sx that could weigh as much as 2800 lbs. Looking to get into the 8's. I plan on spolling the turbo on nitrous.

BTW I will be using an ATI adaptor kit to mate the 2JZ to the TH400. The kit includes a 9 inch 4000 rpm hybrid converter.

Below are the specs as advertised. Are there any specific questions I need to ask this seller concerning the specs.
Does this sound like a 950 hp TH400

• [*]High energy clutches utilized in all locations
    [*]Heavy duty case snap ring
    [*]New low/reverse band
    [*]Heavy duty intermediate band
    [*]Heavy duty 4L80-E direct drum
    [*]34 element intermediate sprag
    [*]Heavy duty spiral sprag retainer lock ring
    [*]Heat treated sprag race
    [*]Internal components and case are machined to allow Torrington bearings in all critical locations
    [*]All plastic washers upgraded to sintered bronze replacements
    [*]All critical support bushings are replaced
    [*]Heat treated stator support
    [*]New precision clearanced pump gearset
    [*]New high performance pressure regulator boost valve
    [*]Heavy duty pressure regulator spring
    [*]Revised lube circuit
    [*]Recalibrated manual/automatic valve body
    [*]High flow filter
    [*]Factory style deep pan w/ magnet
    [*]Transbrake valve body - Full tree

·
Super Moderator
19,972 Posts
Which one is rated to 950hp? Honestly its just a list of parts that make no sense. Get the real list and the real price for what you think you need and post it for evaluation.
This list doesn't work.
Was there any consideration to the RPM you will be turning this motor?
I bet it won't be your average 7000 rpm piece or am I wrong?

Hutch

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which one is rated to 950hp? Honestly its just a list of parts that make no sense. Get the real list and the real price for what you think you need and post it for evaluation.
This list doesn't work.
Was there any consideration to the RPM you will be turning this motor?
I bet it won't be your average 7000 rpm piece or am I wrong?

Hutch
Well the price is real, I was quoted $1200 for the above "list" and I don't know what a real list should look like
Below are links to his site, I was quoted on the stage 4 with transbrake
http://www.proformtrans.net/
http://www.proformtrans.net/th400.html

It will run in the neighborhood of 8000-8200 rpm

What do you think I need (minimum) for my needs?

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I looked over the site and see NO mention of a PG trans????.

Now if there a real high performance shop the PG should be there biggest seller, yet NO mention of it as being available.

Could be me, but that sounds spooky…

mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your quote of parts was a little off. I get 1875.00 from their menu of prices including a pro tree brake.
If you trust their work and they have been referred to you , go for it.

Hutch
Yep it's $1875 from their site but as I said I am getting what I think is a good deal at $1200 for the same $1875 trans. Also he told me it was rated at 950hp not the 850hp as on the web site.

I was just wondering how he could provide such a big discount. I was thinking maybe the parts list was subpar and thus could acount for the discount.

No one referred me to them, I just looked online for a transmission shop and found them just like I found this forum. BTW I do not live in the US or Canada I live in the Caribbean and have no local folks to get a reference from.
Like I said I have no experience with automatics. I guess I need to look for a more well known builder, too many questions??

Couple questions.
1. Are kevlar bands (I hope that is what they are called) needed for a TH400 to hold up to 900 hp at the trans
2. are extra clutches needed and where?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Allen

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Everyone has to start somewhere...

Here's my advice, call this number, (519) 453-4318 and tell him what you want, he will tell you what you need, then you send him money and he sends you a transmission. It won't be 1200.00 but there won't be any guessing.

·
Registered
20,372 Posts
Everyone has to start somewhere...

Here's my advice, call this number, (519) 453-4318 and tell him what you want, he will tell you what you need, then you send him money and he sends you a transmission. It won't be 1200.00 but there won't be any guessing.
Is that Hutch's number ?? LOL

·
Super Moderator
19,972 Posts
Yep it's $1875 from their site but as I said I am getting what I think is a good deal at $1200 for the same $1875 trans. Also he told me it was rated at 950hp not the 850hp as on the web site.

I was just wondering how he could provide such a big discount. I was thinking maybe the parts list was subpar and thus could acount for the discount.

No one referred me to them, I just looked online for a transmission shop and found them just like I found this forum. BTW I do not live in the US or Canada I live in the Caribbean and have no local folks to get a reference from.
Like I said I have no experience with automatics. I guess I need to look for a more well known builder, too many questions??

Couple questions.
1. Are kevlar bands (I hope that is what they are called) needed for a TH400 to hold up to 900 hp at the trans
2. are extra clutches needed and where?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Allen
NO questions are dumb.
Kevlar bands in a T400 are not a big deal as the band is only there for the transbrake and reverse.
Extra clutch's are also not required at 950hp

You need a good trans with good parts , all aluminum pistons machined for parallelism , balanced pieces at 8000rpm+ , an aluminum drum would be a good choice as long as you don't plan much street driving.
A corrected lube circuit so your thrust bearing won't end up in your engine oil pan. Case to planet bearing conversion. Planetary endplay correction work,steel hub,OD grinding and surfacing where required , a deep pan (GM pan is good) HD snap rings and proprietary snap ring support(most builders have a preference) and you will likely have a good trans.

If you are looking for the best price , it sounds like you may have found it.

Hutch

·
Registered
125 Posts
I looked over the site and see NO mention of a PG trans????.

Now if there a real high performance shop the PG should be there biggest seller, yet NO mention of it as being available.

Could be me, but that sounds spooky…

mike
Hi Mike,
Been in the trans game for many years. Dont do glides wont find mention of them on the websight. I am a real Hi performance shop.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Hi Mike,
Been in the trans game for many years. Dont do glides wont find mention of them on the websight. I am a real Hi performance shop.

I agree,
I rarely do a Glide. There are plenty of other builders who do almost nothing but Glides and it's hard to compete with the guys who are actually making the cases, planets, shafts, etc.
By the time I buy the parts, I can't make any money. I'd rather steer the customer to a reputable vendor and just save them some money, and maybe I can get there business when they need a 3 speed or OD.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Hi Mike,
No disrespect meant, only that it does seem strange. It threw a red flag for me, but you explained it well. Might I suggest you speak to that in you web site. It would explain away some of the skepticism and further reinforce your commitment to the transmissions you do specialize in.

mike

·
Registered
125 Posts
No disrespect meant, only that it does seem strange. It threw a red flag for me, but you explained it well. Might I suggest you speak to that in you web site. It would explain away some of the skepticism and further reinforce your commitment to the transmissions you do specialize in.

mike
None taken Mike. I take pride in the few models I do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do not buy from them, see below info(also separate post).

Ordered a stage 5 TH400 transmission from his ebay-store
(pro-formtrans)
First of all it took over 2 weeks to get it shipped to my forward-shipping company in Miami. (Trans was to be shipped to Sweden wich seller knew).

As the shipping time by boat takes 6weeks, time to file a dispute is not possible and by the time it reached my door it was to late to file a bad feedback as well.

first of all the packing was in a plain cartoon with a thin plasticsurrounding wich was cracked/broken due to no internal protection.
3 of the outer boltholes on the housing was torn of but still no loose parts in the packing, (He had sent a broken unit).
Rear-housing was missing and all the holes for cooler and dipstick was not covered. I had local TH400 builder look at it and he told me after we opened the pan that i had got screwed badly.
Only paint to cover for a claimed renovation.

Tried to communicate with him over ebay messages and he replied that he needed photos of the gearbox so he could file a claim wich i now understand that he will by this way have 2sales on same crap.
He told me ship it back for replacement wich he also know it´s impossible due to long distance and taxes etc.
Phonenumbers are not working as he never replies.

the 1295 usd was like throwing the money away.

WARNING !, do not trust this scammer!.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.