Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My combo is this: 537 Pontiac, tiger heads, 272-286 solid roller, 10 1/2 compression, F-2 Procharger on E-85. What heat range spark plugs would you recommend? I was running an NGK #9 when using nitrous but it has been suggested that they are too cold for supercharging and my lift the ring lands. Can a cold plug lift ring lands on E85?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
My combo is this: 537 Pontiac, tiger heads, 272-286 solid roller, 10 1/2 compression, F-2 Procharger on E-85. What heat range spark plugs would you recommend? I was running an NGK #9 when using nitrous but it has been suggested that they are too cold for supercharging and my lift the ring lands. Can a cold plug lift ring lands on E85?
How much boost?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not run it yet so I'm not sure but I suppose it will go to 18 lbs boost.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Under normal conditions the plug does not lift ring lands. Personally, I would try a # 8 first. You want to run as hot a plug as needed. Typically racers run to cold of a plug. It can give you false reads. Make sure if the car sits for very long your using something in the fuel to keep it stable. Other wise it gels and gums up the jets and squirter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Under normal conditions the plug does not lift ring lands. Personally, I would try a # 8 first. You want to run as hot a plug as needed. Typically racers run to cold of a plug. It can give you false reads. Make sure if the car sits for very long your using something in the fuel to keep it stable. Other wise it gels and gums up the jets and squirter.

As usual, thanks Ron.......I did buy some #7's and will try those on the Dyno tomorrow.

I have another question, since I switched to E85 my vacuum pump is pulling a good amount of water out of the crankcase, is that normal. I didn't have this issue before.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Ethanol and methanol both attract water. Since you may not be getting the oil temp over 212 ( at sea level ) the water is being collected in the oil. The vaccum pump,is just doing its job since water vapor is being suspended in the hurricane that's going on inside the motor.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ethanol and methanol both attract water. Since you may not be getting the oil temp over 212 ( at sea level ) the water is being collected in the oil. The vaccum pump,is just doing its job since water vapor is being suspended in the hurricane that's going on inside the motor.

Thanks Ron.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts