Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I find info on how to read spark plugs using a scope? I just bought the Moroso scope but I would like some guidance.

I see Pro Systems sells a kit with the scope and a book.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
Champion spark plugs had a nice amount of good info on plug reading on their web site a couple years ago. I imagine they still do as other makers may too. RM

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would like some info on reading down, inside the plugs, not just what the naked eye can see on the outside, on top.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Also a couple things to keep in mind when reading plugs:

1) Different brands of plugs will read differently... (some are easier to tell Rich/Lean, others are easier to read timing)

2) Different fuels (and additives) will make plugs look different. Engines running Torco will look different than ones running VP for example (so if keep this in mind if you're changing fuels at the track)

3) Different engines will want the plugs to look different. Just because your buddies engine wants the plugs to look like this, doesn't mean your engine will.

Keep in mind engines are like women... There are no two the same, and give em what ever makes em happy!!!

·
Registered
753 Posts
CarbGuy,
Any suggestions: N/A, AR3910 plugs, 15:1, Sunoco 116 gas.
Thanks
Not without looking at em... The best thing to do is still tune to the score board and see where your plugs need to look for the best performance.

Another thing to keep in mind guys is that different types of plugs can require a different light to be able to see into them properly.
Also, it's a good idea to check your exhaust ports periodically.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
...Different fuels (and additives) will make plugs look different. Engines running Torco will look different than ones running VP for example...
The plugs in the motor running Torco will have a bunch of aluminum fragments on them that say "Venolia".

...sorry, sorry... :smt082:smt082:smt082

gmmnstr, I have a nice little booklet/literature that I got from the NGK rep a few years back that shows really well how to use the scope and "read" the plug, but it's a paper deal and focused pretty much on alcohol motors. (Not sure what you're running) I'm sure they could get you one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts