Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Master Fabricator
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get your opinions. This is the recommend plug from Brodix for the BB2 XTRA Heads.

Do you think the plug is too short? The electrode is right in line with the chamber opening.

Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I wanted to get your opinions. This is the recommend plug from Brodix for the BB2 XTRA Heads.

Do you think the plug is too short? The electrode is right in line with the chamber opening.

Thanks!

Picture #1 looks short but #2 looks pretty close. Go to a good parts store and check out the plug book for one that has a longer reach, same range. Buy some extra washers and index the plugs to fit each cylinder hole. Nice heads.

·
Master Fabricator
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone have a spark plug number they are using that has the correct reach for the BB2 XTRA heads? Apparently Brodix does not know what they need.

The plugs inthe photo are a.750 reach.

Thanks.

·
Master Fabricator
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I spoke to Brodix today and they said sometimes there can be 1/2 to 1 thread showing. Has anyone else had this problem? if not, what plug do you run?

They have no solution to the problem except to try a different plug manufacture. They think maybe there was just a little too much casting in the chambers...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had this same problem with some Dart heads, only the plug was recessed about a 1/4". The seat/shoulder that the plug seats against wasn't machined deep enough. Called Dart and got the run around until I called and talked with Dick Maskins personally. They sent a free pick up of the head, remachined the plug seat and sent them back free of charge. Turns out, they were not aware of any problems with the heads before I called. You would think that now days with CNC machining that they could get it right the first time. I would call Brodix explain the problem and send your photos if need be and see what they do about it.

·
Master Fabricator
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AS I SAID,

for you to know if the plug is in as deep as is suppose to be,
YOU HAVE TO MEASURE THE CHAMBER VOLUME.
What does chamber volume have to do if the head was not machined correctly? Let's say, the spark plug seat should have gone 1/16" deeper...

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,044 Posts
What-if he decides to do work on the chamber and not use it as-cast? Then the plug may wind-up sticking into the chamber too far. I would get any work done to the chamber first, then see where you're at. I think the plug is recessed too far right now, but that can easily change. I don't think you're going to find a plug that is a little bit longer. If the chamber is staying as-cast, then the plug seat should be machined deeper.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
as he said

do the chamber detailing along with checking the valve seat depths as measured from the gasket surface, compare spring installed height off of spring seats. ETC
ETC.
ETC.

and balance the chamber volumes

and then the last thing to do is to make the spark plugs depths the same.

unless you are a real backyard / shade tree assembler of a box of parts and just want to throw the thing together.
might aswell have asked a pep boys service man.

·
Master Fabricator
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I contacted Reher Morrison because they set up the heads and they tell me to work the chambers to correct the problem.

I thought I was buying a set of heads to run, not something that needs additional machine work. What a joke!

Last time I buy from a 3rd party other than Jegs.

I wonder how much shit they skip when they build their high $$$ engine and leave for the buyer to fix later on.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
I dont think that if the head was finished assembled for a certain exact piston and engine setup that RMRE would have sent it out that way,

so, show proof that that is where the heads came from, or else I SAY THAT YOU ARE FULL OF SHIT about it coming from RMRE.
none of the heads sold by ANYONE are perfect in one way or another unless they are actually set up to be used with certain pistons... there are so many combo's of piston shapes that there is no way that they could have been detailed for any such specific setup.
the photos appear to be out of the box castings.

·
Registered
13,485 Posts
as far as I know,

RMRE stamps a serial number on most every head that they sell.....
except for maybe some of the heads that are sold in the box unaltered or not setup.

·
Master Fabricator
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dont think that if the head was finished assembled for a certain exact piston and engine setup that RMRE would have sent it out that way,

so, show proof that that is where the heads came from, or else I SAY THAT YOU ARE FULL OF SHIT about it coming from RMRE.
none of the heads sold by ANYONE are perfect in one way or another unless they are actually set up to be used with certain pistons... there are so many combo's of piston shapes that there is no way that they could have been detailed for any such specific setup.
the photos appear to be out of the box castings.
I'll do better than that phuckstick!

Photo of scanned invoice, serial numbers from each head, Reher Morrison logo on the head, and the bullshit email reply I got back from Mark at Reher Morrison.

I have removed my personal information from the invoice and email, hope that is not a problem for you,. I prefer not to advertise where I live and keep my shit, too many fucking thieves out there.

I am not one to post a rant on a public form unless I can back it up. Do you still think I am full of shit now PHUCKSTICK?!?!

---------------
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2010 1:03 PM
To:
Subject: Re: SPARK PLUG

YOU NEED TO GRIND & BLEND IT BACK
AROUND THE PLUG HOLE
I'M LOOKING FOR A PICTURE TO SEND YOU
----- Original Message -----
To: 'Mark Menchaca'
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2010 7:28 PM
Subject: RE: SPARK PLUG

Any ideas? I sent a reply last Friday? I am running the same NGK plug you use.

Sent: Friday, May 21, 2010 11:24 AM
To:
Subject: SPARK PLUG

THE PLUGS WE RUN ARE NGK R5671A-9
AND AUTOLITE AR3933
WHAT PLUG DO YOU HAVE
Mark Menchaca
Reher-Morrison Racing Engines
817-467-7171
[email protected]

-----
And still no fucking photo from them.

·
Master Fabricator
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh yea, while I am ranting on these phucks!

The polished Reher Morrison valve covers they sell, only fit one specific BBC gasket from Felpro which costs $35.

They don't tell you that shit. I had to ask them after ordering a set from Mr. Gasket and Felpro. Then they gave me the magic number from Felpro and fuck-an-a, they fit.

Do you want to see my invoice, email and photos of the gasket problem before I got the special one from Felpro?

·
Master Fabricator
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
as far as I know,

RMRE stamps a serial number on most every head that they sell.....
except for maybe some of the heads that are sold in the box unaltered or not setup.
These heads were custom built for my application. Not some box junk. I could have gotten that from Jegs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts