Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Jimmy Biggs said:
its in the intersection of Central and 55th
If you've ever landed at that airport you could see how easy that could happen. I'm not excusing the pilot, I'm just tellin' ya. It's a short runway. Back in late '70s it was proposed to build an airport in what was then the far south suburbs, but it never got out of the usual red tape that's always present in something like that.

·
God Bless America
10,615 Posts
I flew in to there once around 1990!

was not a pretty site, when one plane is waiting to take off and another one lands in front of it. while it sitting on the runway! right over the top of it.

I bet somebody got reamed for that one!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Been in and out of there dozens of times. It's short but plenty long for a Guppy (737). My money is on the pilot leaving too much runway unused behind him or a malfunction in the thrust reverser system. (or both) Under the conditions we had last night it would have been difficult to stop with the wheel brakes even though the runway was cleared.

Ironically one year ago on the same date a United flight fell two miles short of the runway and killed a bunch of folks in the plane and on the ground.

My prayers go out for the family of the six year old boy that died.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Mike Tritle said:
Been in and out of there dozens of times. It's short but plenty long for a Guppy (737). My money is on the pilot leaving too much runway unused behind him or a malfunction in the thrust reverser system. (or both) Under the conditions we had last night it would have been difficult to stop with the wheel brakes even though the runway was cleared.

Ironically one year ago on the same date a United flight fell two miles short of the runway and killed a bunch of folks in the plane and on the ground.

My prayers go out for the family of the six year old boy that died.
Oops, wrong button!

Hope that didn't happen to the flight crew last night...

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Looking at a report now on local news.

They have recovered the Flight Data Recorder and the crew has been subjected to toxicollogy testing.

An arial shot shows the plane sitting 30 degrees sideways to the runway center line so the wheel brakes had to be locked solid when it went through the fence. Cowling open on both engines, probably popped when it hit the fence. Also looks like the thrust reversers were deployed.

NTSB and Southwest Airlines investigators on scene. Plan is to move the airplane late tomorrow.

Looks like a Yukon or similar sitting under the fuselage just fore of the wing root. No evidence of any fire. This could have been far worse than it was.

More news to follow as it comes in.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Actually it's not too bad. They're rounting around on Archer and down Cicero, both good size streets. Puts a bit of a load on Cicero, though.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The airplane was just released from it's routine maintenance check and inspection in Pheonix on December 7. My dad was in charge of those inspections at O'Hare for United in the 70's and early 80's before he retired. I gotta tell you they are quite thorough. It will be quite interesting to see what they come up with in the investigation.

It was also a 2004 model plane so it was not even that old. Put into service in July that year. Since then it has logged only 2898 cycles and just under 5000 hours.

The boy killed was Southwest's first fatality in their 35 year history.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts