Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you fry chicken breasts? Mom used to cook a fryer ever so often but with health concerns etc. haven't had any since my teens. We've been doing them in the oven forever but I would really like to have some Southern Fried Chicken. No salt recipes please.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
The way i like to do is let you chicken soak in milk either whole or buttermilk which ever you perfer then i take flour and put in a bowl and season it with red and some black pepper or what ever you like, if you want more crust on the chicken then you can double dip, myself i like to cut the breast in strips but whatever turns you on, put it in the grease and fry to a golden color and eat like hell,, just make sure it is done on the inside, if your grease is too hot then the inside will not get cooked , fix you some brown gravy and mashed taters and you have a meal that will make you slap your mother,,,

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
I'm not sure this is the right way to do southern fried chicken as I'm from Iowa originally. I use egg wash and dip in flour, seasoned with salt pepper and sage, redip in egg wash and dip in seasoned flour. Heavy stainless pan with lid. oil the bottom and on med high I brown the skin side. Flip it over and turn heat down to low and cover for about 1/2 hour. Take cover off and turn up heat for last 5 min to let moisture out. Remove chicken breasts. Put a little water in pan to loosen goodies. In a cup, mix a couple heaping table spoons of flour and milk. Stir this in pan, adding milk to get right consistency for gravy. Season it to taste. I use salt pepper, sage and onion powder for this. You can stab one with a knife to see if it's done.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Sounds good Bubstr-- will give it a shot

·
Registered
204 Posts
It wont taste right unless you have a deep cast iron skillet ! I dont know what it is but the cast iron skillet is the trick ! All the recipes for the crust are good that are posted above!

Get your chicken almost covered with grease and let it fry away. And you have to use crisco oil. Any other oil and it wont be as good.

But iam telling you crisco and a cast iron skillet , is the ticket !

Dont know if your heart will like it , but your mouth will !

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was wondering about the oil as Mom always used corn oil and the wife only uses canola. My 4'13" ball of terror will not have cast pans in her kitchen but we do have some very heavy thicken bottom stainless and porcelain coated pans

Bubstr how much oil do you use 1/2"-1" or just ??????? or just cover the bottom of the pan. BTW I'm drooling right now

·
Thread killa
7,912 Posts
I was wondering about the oil as Mom always used corn oil and the wife only uses canola. My 4'13" ball of terror will not have cast pans in her kitchen but we do have some very heavy thicken bottom stainless and porcelain coated pans

Bubstr how much oil do you use 1/2"-1" or just ??????? or just cover the bottom of the pan. BTW I'm drooling right now
half to 2/3rd's up on the side of the meat.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts

I just cover the bottom of the pan, about 2or 3 tablespoons. Your chicken will give up some fat if it has skin.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
I like a cast iron pan for a lot of things, but not for making gravy. seems to take some of the seasoning out of the pan. That's just me. I don't like non stick pans for it either, because you don't get the good tasting crunchies on the bottom. This goes for any pan gravy or sauce. Melting the crunchies down with liquid is what gives it flavor.

·
Registered
22,179 Posts
Lard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like my Mom used back on the farm when I was a pup.

After Dad died, she'd send me out after Sunday Church in the spring to early summer to pull the heads off two or three pullets, scald, pick, singe and then she would gut, cut up and fry, oh so good!

Right, that gravy along with smashed 'tater's and bisquits and butter, out of sight!

Add home canned green beans, canned corn, wilted lettuce, radishes and green unions and all the rest and just get fat.

pdq67

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
after i pan fry my chicken i will drain all but maybe 2 tbs of oil out, mix in flour and stewed tomatos, heat over med heat for about 5 minutes to meld together then slowly stir in milk and get a tomato/milk gravy...serve over yellow rice and the chicken along with some green beans and there is no better meal in the world

·
Registered
184 Posts
Try this: When you are breading your chicken, use Mayo instead of milk or eggwash. it will be the best fried chicken you have ever eaten. Gramaw used to do it this way every Sunday!!!!

;

·
WTF?
12,518 Posts
Soak in buttermilk, dip in seasoned flour. And whatever pan you use, the chicken needs to rest on the bottom, not float. Canola oil is fine. But if you leave out the salt, it ain't southern frid chicken.:p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts