Yellow Bullet Forums banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
15,243 Posts
Some of the planned communities have HOA fees near a 1000/ month. How is that even necessary? A 1000 / mo to maintain the outside of the house and water / sewer??
Better include a club house ,pool and gulf course. My sister is looking around Melborne right now and found one that was 700 a month. I think you really kill the resale potential getting into a HOA like that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I moved to Marion County in 1977, from Rochester N.Y All in all, I can't complain. Worst hurricane we saw put the electric out for 2 1/2 weeks, but we did what we had to do. The area has changed drastically since I got here, massive retirement home building projects have changed the landscape.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
So now I’ve got a minute, we got lucky and found a nice smaller block house built in the 70’s all updated new roof, 2B2B in a pretty nice neighborhood (non restricted/no HOA fees) with 2 lots. Homes a block away on the water are 750+. (I’m nowhere near that bracket) We Love it here. We are in a flood zone but own outright so don’t have to have flood ins. It hasn’t flooded here (my home) in the last 50 years. It got up to the street during a hurricane once, but never got close to the house, but the FEMA ins was like 3-5 k a year. If you look on the stop sign posts there are bands on the post under the signs they are color coded for flood zone Red/Yellow ETC…My Homeowners wasn’t bad so far, it’s like 1700, Utilities are way cheaper than Illinois, but we don’t have NG, it’s all electric. I’m gonna get a backup generator we don’t have yet. If you look in Port Charlotte many areas towards the East are not in flood zones. Punta is nice too. Cape Coral Venice Englewood all nice. In Port Charlotte along Peachland area is pretty nice and not in a flood zone. Taxes are way better than Illinois too. We are centrally located to all the touristy stuff. Traffic on I75 is stupid crazy. The snowbirds are all here now so it’s fairly busy, but it’s funny like at 7:00 pm the town goes to bed. My brother has been trying to buy a place here for a year and can’t get one bought. Real Estate is pretty crazy right now we got lucky and bought from owner for asking but most places now will go for 10-20 over asking. anyway we’ve kept our place up north for now but If it weren’t for our grandkids I’d already have downsized and just moved here permanently. People are great down here for the most part. Not many Libs in this area. Some car guys too. I’m still meeting people but overall we love it here.

·
I kill parts
11,462 Posts
Cape Coral, especially within city limits, is essentially it's own HOA with various crazy strict laws on what you can and can't do or have on your property. - For years you couldn't have a pickup truck parked on your driveway, that has laxed to commercial registered or lettered but there are still many rules/regs regarding trailers, vehicles, etc at your home that can be a pain in the butt for a gearhead. - I like my house clean & kept inside and out, but their regs are above/beyond reason in many instances.

·
Registered
4,532 Posts
I have a place on the south end of Ft Myers, traffic is insane this year. So many people have moved here in the last year plus snowbirds have made it nearly impossible get around. I

·
I kill parts
11,462 Posts
It was usually for about 20 minutes, between 2:30 and 3:30 PM every day when I lived there in 1973-74 .

Has the scheduled changed much ?
drastic changes since then, it's shuffled closer to 2:45-3:45.... 😁

"If you don't like the weather in Florida, drive down the street".

I swear there are times when you only need one wiper turned on because it's only raining on one side of the truck....

·
Registered
33 Posts
We have had a condo in Bradenton Beach for 40+ years, we don't live there but visit often, love the area very old school Florida no high rises buildings - only 3/4 stories at the most. Prices right now are the highest I have seen (our unit 2b2b 1000+ sq ft are now selling at $450K). But there are cheaper options if you go back into Bradenton proper. Great location in terms of everything we want Tampa is an hour, Sarasota 1/2 hour - 3 airports within an hour. Awesome beaches, restaurants etc. Theme parks 1 hour to Busch, 2-21/2 to Disney/Universal. The only aspect that can be lacking is during a cold spell areas a little farther south like Naples/Fort Myers are usually 4-5 degrees warmer.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Port Charlotte is a huge area. The bad areas are in center city(surprise,surprise) like most every town. I live 25 minutes from down town Port Charlotte but still have the PC address. We are down on the Cape Haze Peninsula. Some areas the houses are more spread out and we don't have any where near the traffic of being near town. The horrible traffic this time of year near town is about 1/10th the traffic of Ft. Myers. :)
Don't discount all the communities that have an HOA. South Gulf Cove as an example still allows you to have a car and or boat trailer on your lot and your dogs. Interior lot homes are often on doubles. If you are not in a hurry, have you considered building a new home? Any quality builder is now out 1-1 1/2 years.
North Port (which adjoins PC) has some more open land with larger lots. Englewood is old style Florida.
Car guys love it down here as there is always a cruise or car show somewhere. Bradenton is only 45 minutes away.
Prices have gone crazy here in the last few years and it seems there is no end in sight.
PC weather is great. You are pretty close to beaches and many boat launches.
If you are ready to buy, you should get with a good RE agent. If you need one let me know or ask any questions.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
So now I’ve got a minute, we got lucky and found a nice smaller block house built in the 70’s all updated new roof, 2B2B in a pretty nice neighborhood (non restricted/no HOA fees) with 2 lots. Homes a block away on the water are 750+. (I’m nowhere near that bracket) We Love it here. We are in a flood zone but own outright so don’t have to have flood ins. It hasn’t flooded here (my home) in the last 50 years. It got up to the street during a hurricane once, but never got close to the house, but the FEMA ins was like 3-5 k a year. If you look on the stop sign posts there are bands on the post under the signs they are color coded for flood zone Red/Yellow ETC…My Homeowners wasn’t bad so far, it’s like 1700, Utilities are way cheaper than Illinois, but we don’t have NG, it’s all electric. I’m gonna get a backup generator we don’t have yet. If you look in Port Charlotte many areas towards the East are not in flood zones. Punta is nice too. Cape Coral Venice Englewood all nice. In Port Charlotte along Peachland area is pretty nice and not in a flood zone. Taxes are way better than Illinois too. We are centrally located to all the touristy stuff. Traffic on I75 is stupid crazy. The snowbirds are all here now so it’s fairly busy, but it’s funny like at 7:00 pm the town goes to bed. My brother has been trying to buy a place here for a year and can’t get one bought. Real Estate is pretty crazy right now we got lucky and bought from owner for asking but most places now will go for 10-20 over asking. anyway we’ve kept our place up north for now but If it weren’t for our grandkids I’d already have downsized and just moved here permanently. People are great down here for the most part. Not many Libs in this area. Some car guys too. I’m still meeting people but overall we love it here.
What town are you in?

·
Registered
529 Posts
My family moved to Port Charlotte in 1978, when there were only 3 traffic lights. Lived there until 2005. We moved 30 minutes away to Rotonda West and loved it there. It has an HOA, but it's only around $140.00 a year. The bylaws are mild. They just want to keep it looking nice. It has a couple golf courses and parks. I had to quit my job due to health issues and moved back to Port Charlotte to a house half the size. I hate it in Florida. It's too friggin hot. I'm in North Carolina at the moment and am seriously thinking of moving here. It's been in the 20's-40's and I love it.
If you are seriously considering this area, I'd check in North Port. There are several new developments and the town has had a serious growth spurt in the last couple decades, so most of it is new looking. If you're looking for warmer weather, this area will give you that.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Florida taxes will rape you and everything costs twice as much as it should, LA ( lower Alabama ) is much better and cheaper.
I guess I’m used to being bent over in Illinois. Stuff seems cheap here in Florida. My Property taxes are 1/2 my home in Illinois and I’m not getting Homestead or and other breaks here. Gas is cheaper here than home. My utilities are so cheap I thought there was a mistake on the bill the first time.
When we started looking for a place to escape the winters we started in Lower Alabama. We looked around Gulf Shores, Fair Hope, Foley, ETC it was nice I will admit. It’s downright beautiful in June, but we decided if we were gonna go for warm winters we were gonna go all the way. After working outside my entire career, I’m wanting as mild winters as I can get. I go for a bike ride every morning riding in shorts and a t shirt in January is OK by me.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
My family moved to Port Charlotte in 1978, when there were only 3 traffic lights. Lived there until 2005. We moved 30 minutes away to Rotonda West and loved it there. It has an HOA, but it's only around $140.00 a year. The bylaws are mild. They just want to keep it looking nice. It has a couple golf courses and parks. I had to quit my job due to health issues and moved back to Port Charlotte to a house half the size. I hate it in Florida. It's too friggin hot. I'm in North Carolina at the moment and am seriously thinking of moving here. It's been in the 20's-40's and I love it.
If you are seriously considering this area, I'd check in North Port. There are several new developments and the town has had a serious growth spurt in the last couple decades, so most of it is new looking. If you're looking for warmer weather, this area will give you that.
North Port does seem to be nice too. I go there to buy groceries a lot. If you are considering selling your home here. My brother may be interested, he’s looking and has cash in hand. PM me if you are interested.
Someone told me the other day that there are about 8,000 new homes being planned/ or already in construction in this area. They also have resumed construction of the Sun Seeker Resort at Charlotte Harbor planned to be completed in 2023.

·
Former RJ instigator
44,053 Posts
I guess I’m used to being bent over in Illinois. Stuff seems cheap here in Florida. My Property taxes are 1/2 my home in Illinois and I’m not getting Homestead or and other breaks here. Gas is cheaper here than home. My utilities are so cheap I thought there was a mistake on the bill the first time.
When we started looking for a place to escape the winters we started in Lower Alabama. We looked around Gulf Shores, Fair Hope, Foley, ETC it was nice I will admit. It’s downright beautiful in June, but we decided if we were gonna go for warm winters we were gonna go all the way. After working outside my entire career, I’m wanting as mild winters as I can get. I go for a bike ride every morning riding in shorts and a t shirt in January is OK by me.
Glad you figured it out.

I've lived in a red state pretty much all of my adult life, ( TN, MS ) I know people get stuck but damn, I just can't understand why people stay in states where they are constantly ass raped for everything, it doesn't have to be that way, move!

·
Registered
8,566 Posts
Glad you figured it out.

I've lived in a red state pretty much all of my adult life, ( TN, MS ) I know people get stuck but damn, I just can't understand why people stay in states where they are constantly ass raped for everything, it doesn't have to be that way, move!
I would love to move to TN but since I own my home and could not replace it if I sold it, combined with the fact that the cost of living there is higher then where I currently live means I am stuck here. Well that and since I live on a fixed income. I looked at places in Florida as well and Arizona, but ended up here as it is where I could afford to live. That said we all do as we need to.

Reactions: cepx111
41 - 60 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.