Yellow Bullet Forums banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
LP-25.com
2,724 Posts
I live a little north of Tampa in Spring hill. In a very nice neighborhood. All of the lots are 1/2 acre. HOA is $90 a year. While house shopping from St Pete to Spring Hill the details were all over the place. Astronomical HOA's Newer neighborhoods have CCD costs. Some homes crammed in like cattle. Not much more room between them than 2 people walking side by side. HOA's that include lawn care you won't be able to put up a fence. Be aware of the FEMA flood zone codes. They might be different a block away. Neighbor has to buy flood insurance and you don't. Property tax varies wildly also. Good Luck! Oh as mentioned, if you are a Liberal stay away.

·
Moderater
15,092 Posts
Glad I’m not ready yet.. home prices have gone up 50to75% since all the Covid retirements. Florida real estate is a roller coaster, people are always dying to get out of there so I’ll wait for the down turn.

I like the gulf side south of Tampa, just did a tour of Punta Gorda and it pretty nice. Nicer than Fort Myers but a lot more expensive. I love the Bonita Beech area and it’s close to Naples.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I lived in Port Charlotte in '89-'90 and loved it. Would move back in a heartbeat. Punta Gorda was a little nicer and right across the bridge. Fucking loved it down there. Research the area you want to live in, they have places for white trash like me and mansions for all the YB Bullshit artists, too.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I lived in Port Charlotte in '89-'90 and loved it. Would move back in a heartbeat. Punta Gorda was a little nicer and right across the bridge. Fucking loved it down there. Research the area you want to live in, they have places for white trash like me and mansions for all the YB Bullshit artists, too.
We have relatives outside of Starke and friends who live in Punta Gorda so kinda see the big difference between the north central small town and the beachy south.
I'm just done with the cold, snow,slush,leaves etc etc up here in pa.

·
LP-25.com
2,724 Posts
Dunedin, grand bay, palm harbor. The reason I say is the islands! Honeymoon, caladesi, three rooker, anclote key. Get you a boat it’s amazing not crowded. Caladesi is awesome.
We will have a boat before long. Haven't taken the ferry (pontoon boat) to Caladesi yet. We generally go to Honeymoon island with the dog.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Hurricane charlie was a near miss for me in Sarasota/bradenton
It hit arcadia pretty hard and thats 40-50 miles inland. Charlie and francis crossed the state at that same point.It got hit twice

Port Charlotte was still fucked up 6-7 years later

Charlie,Ivan , Jean and Francis were all bad hurricanes that year .(2004)

Be prepared, that is all I can offer

·
I kill parts
11,337 Posts
The long term established areas are the most likely to be the "low rent" type areas at this point, especially it not HOA. Older homes becoming out-dated and not all well maintained. Obviously there are some higher end areas that are an exception to this, as they're high-end enough to have been maintained or the area has maintained enough of a boom to rebuild through the years.

Likely similar to be said about most states/cities.

Definitely watch the FEMA flood zones CLOSELY. As infomaniac noted, quite literally one house could be in a flood zone that cost them an extra $1500/yr in insurance premium and the house next door is not. - FEMA f*d that all up, as government agencies most often do.

·
Aviation Section
27,398 Posts
I have been in Miami Lakes since 1977 and am a Yankee from Rochester and Pittsburgh. Came down for Eastern and never left and now I cannot with the Grandkids. Lots of people moving here and it is getting a lot more traffic, most are coming from New York and New Jersey/Maryland area from what I can see of the license plates. Property values are through the roof right now and lots of condo and townhouse building going on. My 4/3 pool home was $140K when I bought it in 1996, now Zillow says $760K!

The car culture here in South Florida is basically dead and we are about to loose our last track in Palm Beach, when PBI goes down all that will be left is 1/8 mile Immokalee out on the Alley and Bradenton on the left coast which is actually a very nice track but quite a tow from Miami.

I tell people that want to move down to stay North of the Lake. I myself love the Gainesville area, looks like State College Pa. but with a track and lots of car culture/shows and you are able to travel North for shows and events like SGMP and Atlanta Motor Speedway for swap meets. Daytona is just South for the same for the Turkey Rod Run and other events. This area also will have a better change of seasons then South Florida but still not as severe as living in the North East.

Reactions: SS632 and Jp outlaw

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Might want to avoid Tampa...Just keep in mind the summers in Tampa suck for the most part...rains nearly every day. Humid most of the year, and lastly ...Damn Love Bugs twice a year! On the plus side...winters are great!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Might want to avoid Tampa...Just keep in mind the summers in Tampa suck for the most part...rains nearly every day. Humid most of the year, and lastly ...Damn Love Bugs twice a year! On the plus side...winters are great!
I've heard about and seen videos of those bugs invading areas, are they all over florida or just in certain areas?

·
Registered
162,000 Posts
Unless you live in the Tampa St Pete area traffic is somewhat congested. Fastest rising housing prices are in Tampa St. Pete. I live in Naples. Collier country is huge if not being on the water is ok there is tons of property available.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Another timely post. We are on a <3 year plan to move to the FT Myers area.
I was just there last week visiting friends. I spent my 20's in Fort Lauderdale, so I know how the summers go.

The whole area is clean, roads are in great shape, about a 25% reduction in living cost vs. north east, you can get E85 and 25 minutes to Immokolee and hour 20 to Bradenton.

My wife would like to live in a planned community but then I'd have to rent a garage.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Looking to possibly move to the gulf side of Southern Florida maybe the port Charlotte area or? Anyone have info on were not to look due to crime,noise, excessive flooding etc.
Not looking for a mansion just a nice 3 bedroom with 2 car garage ,ac,pool and a yard for my dogs
Sorry a little late to the party, we bought a place in Port Charlotte.last year We ain’t rich folk, so not on the water, but we really like it here. However at this time we’re still going back and forth to Illinois. I’m staying here a lot but my wife is still working so she’s home in Illinois more than not, I’ve been retired for a few years so I’m down here more than there. I’m in a hurry now so I did t get to read the entire thread I’ll get back later when I get a minute.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts