Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Looking to possibly move to the gulf side of Southern Florida maybe the port Charlotte area or? Anyone have info on were not to look due to crime,noise, excessive flooding etc.
Not looking for a mansion just a nice 3 bedroom with 2 car garage ,ac,pool and a yard for my dogs
Sorry a little late to the party, we bought a place in Port Charlotte.last year We ain’t rich folk, so not on the water, but we really like it here. However at this time we’re still going back and forth to Illinois. I’m staying here a lot but my wife is still working so she’s home in Illinois more than not, I’ve been retired for a few years so I’m down here more than there. I’m in a hurry now so I did t get to read the entire thread I’ll get back later when I get a minute.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
So now I’ve got a minute, we got lucky and found a nice smaller block house built in the 70’s all updated new roof, 2B2B in a pretty nice neighborhood (non restricted/no HOA fees) with 2 lots. Homes a block away on the water are 750+. (I’m nowhere near that bracket) We Love it here. We are in a flood zone but own outright so don’t have to have flood ins. It hasn’t flooded here (my home) in the last 50 years. It got up to the street during a hurricane once, but never got close to the house, but the FEMA ins was like 3-5 k a year. If you look on the stop sign posts there are bands on the post under the signs they are color coded for flood zone Red/Yellow ETC…My Homeowners wasn’t bad so far, it’s like 1700, Utilities are way cheaper than Illinois, but we don’t have NG, it’s all electric. I’m gonna get a backup generator we don’t have yet. If you look in Port Charlotte many areas towards the East are not in flood zones. Punta is nice too. Cape Coral Venice Englewood all nice. In Port Charlotte along Peachland area is pretty nice and not in a flood zone. Taxes are way better than Illinois too. We are centrally located to all the touristy stuff. Traffic on I75 is stupid crazy. The snowbirds are all here now so it’s fairly busy, but it’s funny like at 7:00 pm the town goes to bed. My brother has been trying to buy a place here for a year and can’t get one bought. Real Estate is pretty crazy right now we got lucky and bought from owner for asking but most places now will go for 10-20 over asking. anyway we’ve kept our place up north for now but If it weren’t for our grandkids I’d already have downsized and just moved here permanently. People are great down here for the most part. Not many Libs in this area. Some car guys too. I’m still meeting people but overall we love it here.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Florida taxes will rape you and everything costs twice as much as it should, LA ( lower Alabama ) is much better and cheaper.
I guess I’m used to being bent over in Illinois. Stuff seems cheap here in Florida. My Property taxes are 1/2 my home in Illinois and I’m not getting Homestead or and other breaks here. Gas is cheaper here than home. My utilities are so cheap I thought there was a mistake on the bill the first time.
When we started looking for a place to escape the winters we started in Lower Alabama. We looked around Gulf Shores, Fair Hope, Foley, ETC it was nice I will admit. It’s downright beautiful in June, but we decided if we were gonna go for warm winters we were gonna go all the way. After working outside my entire career, I’m wanting as mild winters as I can get. I go for a bike ride every morning riding in shorts and a t shirt in January is OK by me.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
My family moved to Port Charlotte in 1978, when there were only 3 traffic lights. Lived there until 2005. We moved 30 minutes away to Rotonda West and loved it there. It has an HOA, but it's only around $140.00 a year. The bylaws are mild. They just want to keep it looking nice. It has a couple golf courses and parks. I had to quit my job due to health issues and moved back to Port Charlotte to a house half the size. I hate it in Florida. It's too friggin hot. I'm in North Carolina at the moment and am seriously thinking of moving here. It's been in the 20's-40's and I love it.
If you are seriously considering this area, I'd check in North Port. There are several new developments and the town has had a serious growth spurt in the last couple decades, so most of it is new looking. If you're looking for warmer weather, this area will give you that.
North Port does seem to be nice too. I go there to buy groceries a lot. If you are considering selling your home here. My brother may be interested, he’s looking and has cash in hand. PM me if you are interested.
Someone told me the other day that there are about 8,000 new homes being planned/ or already in construction in this area. They also have resumed construction of the Sun Seeker Resort at Charlotte Harbor planned to be completed in 2023.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Glad you figured it out.

I've lived in a red state pretty much all of my adult life, ( TN, MS ) I know people get stuck but damn, I just can't understand why people stay in states where they are constantly ass raped for everything, it doesn't have to be that way, move!
There were a few good reasons I stayed for me. 1-My elderly parents that have a big place and need constant help with (lost my Dad a year ago last week, so now it’s just my 85 year old Mom. We’re trying to get her to downsize, but she likes it there and who am I to make her move away from a place she loves and has lived in for so long?
2- A decent job that I lucked into when I was 19 that has a good pension that I’m now receiving. (Being able to retire at 54 seemed like a pretty good thing to me) and lastly, my Son and grandkids that still live there too, my granddaughter is in a great little rural school district with small class sizes and no inner city bullshit. She also loves it there. So in my case there is more to consider than just my taxes. I still own my home in Illinois too, a nice home in a great neighborhood with great neighbors (many are racers and car people) out in the edge of a good size city but feels like the country, down here in Florida It would easily cost double to buy it. My wife is still working for about 1 more year till she can draw her pension too. Then we’re completely free to come and go as we choose. Right now I’m spending a lot of time at our home in Florida, she comes down when she can. Although Illinois is ran by a fat liberal dickhead now, most all of Downstate is not. We have fairly decently ran local government SO FAR and the cost of living isn’t that bad there either, but we do have higher property and fuel taxes than most, it’s not entirely bad where I’m at. It is basically just Chicago that is the blue, almost all the other 90 some odd counties all voted Red.

Ecoregion World Map Font Line

1 - 6 of 6 Posts