Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to possibly move to the gulf side of Southern Florida maybe the port Charlotte area or? Anyone have info on were not to look due to crime,noise, excessive flooding etc.
Not looking for a mansion just a nice 3 bedroom with 2 car garage ,ac,pool and a yard for my dogs

·
Age of Acquiescence
34,374 Posts
How do you vote?

Should be the first question to anyone looking to move to a better state

·
Registered
981 Posts
Me, wife, and neighbor couple were in St Pete for what was supposedly worst hurricane in 20 years a couple years ago. Watch tide rise a few feet, from water's edge the day before, to parking lot, some wind and rain.
Next morning a few palm leaves here and there, but if that was worst in 20 years, I sure would trade for the pat two days of freezing and snowfall here in MI
:)
I am ready to head south myself.

·
Registered
21,671 Posts
Me, wife, and neighbor couple were in St Pete for what was supposedly worst hurricane in 20 years a couple years ago. Watch tide rise a few feet, from water's edge the day before, to parking lot, some wind and rain.
Next morning a few palm leaves here and there, but if that was worst in 20 years, I sure would trade for the pat two days of freezing and snowfall here in MI
I am ready to head south myself.
You were given bad info "worst hurricane in 20 years" Charlie kicked the shit out of lower western Fl up through central. Now there are parts that get affected by hurricanes but it isn't bad. I've lived here my whole life and have not evacuated for a storm yet. But I am not on the shore and am in kinda a "guarded" spot so to speak but if a storm came in the mouth of Tampa Bay it would be a disaster.
We are usually buffered the storms make landfall 100 miles from us and we just get an angry storm.

·
Registered
21,671 Posts
Looking to possibly move to the gulf side of Southern Florida maybe the port Charlotte area or? Anyone have info on were not to look due to crime,noise, excessive flooding etc.
Not looking for a mansion just a nice 3 bedroom with 2 car garage ,ac,pool and a yard for my dogs
Fort Myers is awesome. We've taken the RV down there a time or two. Not lived there but enjoyed being there. I live more central just east of Tampa.

·
I kill parts
11,060 Posts
We're full already....and the housing market shows it.

Port Charlotte isn't the nicest overall area and a rather high drug crime problem especially viewed per pop density. Some areas of it are decent but overall, meh. Punta Gorda just south of the river from there is nicer and more retirement oriented yet still offers more entertainment venues.

Anything coastal/waterfront is subject to flooding, especially in hurricanes.

Haven't had a bad hurricane on this coast since Charlie and that was 2004.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No never been in a hurricane directly, not looking to be on the coast (Beach front) and may consider northern Florida or even near st Augustine. Just had enough of the north 50+ years and would like longer cruise and race seasons. I figured someone on here may be able to steer me away from any sketchy places.
I'm registered as "undecided " but end up voting republican, can't stand demi's and I like my guns.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My choices per the wife were south carolina near the coast, northern Florida or further down near fort Meyers (no to Orlando,Tampa & Miami)
Or any other cool suggestions from people down there to check out.

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
If you want warm most of the time go Tampa south. The pan handle can get ice storms. A buddy was there 2 winters and said no more. 24 degrees and ice. Yes it only lasts a few days, but why put up with it at all.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Ft Myers is a nice area. Traffic there is heavy during the “season”. The southern area of Ft Myers seems the nicest. I have spent several years down there building grocery stores. Naples to the south is very nice but also very expensive. Really anywhere between Tampa and Naples is good. If you are a democrat stay away.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Met a few folks from the panhandle when were in St Pete during the hurricane trip.
Was surprised to hear someone from that area staying at same resort we were in.
One guy told me that it was only 40/50 degrees at home so they went a few hours south to St Pete to warm up.
Never realized the difference there.
Made me rethink some of the areas I should be considering.

·
LP-25.com
2,258 Posts
Vacant lots around where you are looking are about $68,000 an acre. Most are 1/8th to 1/4 acre. Pool homes are expensive.

Punta Gorda is more reasonably priced.

·
Registered
57,624 Posts
You were given bad info "worst hurricane in 20 years" Charlie kicked the shit out of lower western Fl up through central. Now there are parts that get affected by hurricanes but it isn't bad. I've lived here my whole life and have not evacuated for a storm yet. But I am not on the shore and am in kinda a "guarded" spot so to speak but if a storm came in the mouth of Tampa Bay it would be a disaster.
We are usually buffered the storms make landfall 100 miles from us and we just get an angry storm.
Charlie went right over my house on Captiva. Lost a roof and one window, no water damage which was a miracle. My neighbor had NO damage. The house next to his was destroyed.
Charlie destroyed about half the island.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'd be looking for warmth and looking to spend $325-375k seems like there is a lot for sale in that price range. Saw a lot of nice houses on zilliow and realtor but when you look at the satellite image they either have small lots and right next to other houses or al in a community that has HOAs and doesn't allow dogs or the neighbors house is a fuckn pig sty?

·
Registered
21,671 Posts
Charlie went right over my house on Captiva. Lost a roof and one window, no water damage which was a miracle. My neighbor had NO damage. The house next to his was destroyed.
Charlie destroyed about half the island.
They say it was like a big tornado. I remember all the people from St. Pete rushing to the middle of the state then it took that last second turn and drove right through where they all evacuated to. Crazy. We didn't get too much from Charlie that year but we lost all but one of our trees in our front yard that year to Hurricane Jeanne. 2 60' cedar trees and one 45' split oak. Thankfully all fell on the road and not the house. Blocked our road with that and the neighbors cedar trees. It was actually a cool moment in time all the neighbors coming out and pitching in together to cut the trees up and clear the road.

·
Registered
942 Posts
brother-in-law moved out of Florida due to hurricane and red tide he moved to central Georga but been to many places of Florida and Sarasota is my favorite nice beaches and dont seem to busy

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
I live right in the Tampa bay area. My neighborhood is all one acre lots. The houses in my neighborhood have been selling for min $600 k right now. That would be for something about 2000 sq ft. Then up from there. My daughter and son bought an older home in Westly Chapel about 4 years ago 1.5 Acres. Paid 345K and had to put another 100K in a remodel. New kitchen, 2 new baths and refinish the pool. Just had to spend another 10k to upgrade the septic system. You could expect to pay about 500K for a house with land in move in condition anywhere in the central Florida region.
Historically the Tampa Bay area has been a safe location with regard to hurricanes. I have lived here since 1966 and have not had any hurricane damage at any of my residences in that time period. We have had a few good scares though.
Its a great place to live

1 - 20 of 62 Posts