Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was grinding a piece of metal this morning and wearing safety glasses. A small piece flew up under my glasses and got in my eye. Thought no big deal it usually works its way to the corner and I wipe it out. Not this time. Went home at lunch flushed it out still no luck. Tonight wife says I need to go to a eye doctor. I went out to my shop and got a magnet, stuck it up in corner of my eye and first shot it came out. haha.

·
Registered
11,995 Posts
Yes lucky. According to my eye Dr. when I had this happen once he told me if it goes in .010" it will blind you.

·
Registered
9,317 Posts
I'm definitely not one to run to the doctor, but I'd be thinking about having someone take a look anyway.

A big scar on your arm is cool. Lost or impaired vision isn't.

·
Registered
11,361 Posts
The rare earth magnets work wonders for this sort of thing. I've done that several times and can still sort of see.:eek::eek:

·
Smart Ass Conservative
113,580 Posts
Slowmopar is his own proctologist but he has second opinions sometimes .

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I was unlucky enough to end up with something in my eye while cutting aluminum, Went to the doctor on a Sunday when it was irritated as hell but couldn't see what was causing it. I really wasn't sure if I had something in my eye or if it was a scratch. Doc didn't find anything either. A couple days go by and it was getting worse. I went to my regular eye Dr and he didn't see anything but told me to let him know if it doesn't get better. Another couple days and I can't stand it anymore and went back for another look, He ends up telling me he can't see anything obvious but there is a little spot he's going to investigate. He ended up pulling a piece of aluminum out that was so small he had to look at it under a microscope to even tell if it was metal or tissue. Felt great for about a week....then I got the bills lol

I used to just wear safety glasses or a shield, Now I wear goggles.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Several years ago at work I was tightening an Allen bolt and the wrench popped out and up into the air. I stood there for what seemed like forever waiting for it to fall, when it finally did it came down between my glasses and forehead, scratched the shit out of my eye and ended up wearing a patch for a few days. I'd been better off if I'd looked up to try to catch it than what happened. Eyes are nothing to mess around with for sure.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had this happen to me twice where I had to go to the ER and have metal removed from my eyes. When grinding, the metal becomes very hot and sears itself to your eyeball skin. This makes it hard for the magnet to remove the metal. I actually saw my own eyeball skin stretch when the doc pulled the pieces out with a tweezers.

Goggles or full face shield for me now.

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
Years ago (many) when I was in the tire industry, I took my eyesight for granted!...
I'd guess that probably 3 or so times I had a piece of hot steel fly off the taper of a lugnut and steel wheel and hit me in the eye!...
It would burn it's way into my eye and I wouldn't notice anything!...

About 4 days later............I'd get a headache that seemed to go from the back of my head in a straight line to one of my eyes!...
Every time it happened, the doc. would put that yellow dye in my eye and look at it with a black light!...
Sure enough, there was a rust circle and he was able to extract it!...

Luckily I got out of the business.............because it was obvious, I wasn't gonna learn, until I had a major incident!... :(

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
I've had this happen to me twice where I had to go to the ER and have metal removed from my eyes. When grinding, the metal becomes very hot and sears itself to your eyeball skin. This makes it hard for the magnet to remove the metal. I actually saw my own eyeball skin stretch when the doc pulled the pieces out with a tweezers.

Goggles or full face shield for me now.
Smart Man!...
Only takes once for that piece to land in the wrong spot!...
Eyesight is precious!... :cool:

·
WHAT NOW ?
16,450 Posts
If you leave a piece in long enough it will rust and that plays hell on the eye.
yup , had steel plucked out of my eye twice , and they had to grind the rust ring out of the eye.... creepiest shit I've ever had done..... once just making a quick grind on a weld without safety glasses..... second time piece flew under the glasses.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
10,082 Posts
My dad still has a piece in his eye from a decade ago or more.

·
Shrewd Negotiator
10,082 Posts
I got hit in the eye with a rock when I was about 7 or 8. A kid at school threw it across the playground and it just so happened to hit me. I still have issues with that eye today after surgery and everything when it happened. There's a scratch or scar or something on it that I can feel under my eyelid that won't ever go away. It feels like a piece of something is stuck in my eye but nothings there. It's annoying as fuck.

The kid that threw it ended up being someone I knew. It was my cousin's best friend's brother. My cousin and I were close back then so I knew her friend and her brother, also. Pretty ironic that I ended up being the one that got hit.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts