Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Super Moderator
46,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I went to New England Dragway in Epping, New Hampshire this past weekend, for the 3rd annual New England Hot Rod Reunion.

We were debuting his 1955 Chevy Gasser he built, a vehicle I painted and helped him build.

It's a "street car", that term used very loosely,..lol,...(but built with a 60s style gasser as a model) ...registered and insured, and we've put it through it's paces on the street, but this was it's first track appearance. It was well received, always had a crowd around it all weekend, and gathered many compliments, which made us both proud...(and it passed it's first tech inspection which we were also happy about).

But, on it's first run, Saturday morning, the 9 inch modular steel, (with a spool), rear end, grenaded at the staring line, so it couldn't make a run.

I suggested we just park it on the field next to the staging lanes, where the show and shine car show was being held, instead of towing it back to our spot in the pits, since we were way down in the shut down area of the track, in the woods, (yeah, the place was packed).

We did that, and went back to the stands to watch the races, and make some calls back home, trying to get a center section brought up to us, but we later saw that the driveshaft bent and we didn't have another, so we understood racing was over before it really began for us.

At 2 oclock there was a break in the action for an awards ceremony under a big tent in the vendor area, to honor some old time drag racers from yesteryear, who were presented actual Wallys for their acheivements, but we were held up at the car, answering questions from onlookers. My other friend called me on my phone to say, the 55 just won an award. So we went to the tent.

The Grand Marshall of the 3 day event was Al Segrini, 5 time top fuel funny car event champion. He picked the 55 to receive the Grand Marshall Award. That probably wouldn't have happened if the car was at the pits between rounds, and not in the field where he was looking at the hundreds of cars in attendance. Needless to say, we were very pleased.

Then, on Sunday morning the track photographer found us, and asked us to move the car in a better location for photos, because not only was the car going in the New England Dragway News, but he also shoots and writes for Gasser Magazine, and wants to feature it in that national mag, and perhaps it might even get a cover.

So, even after breaking,.......we can actually say, it was an awesome weekend. And if it hadn't broken, it wouldn't have ended up being where it got noticed, and acknowledged, by all who eventually saw it so,....sometimes things seem to happen for a reason.

And we're going back later this month for Old Fashion Sunday to get some runs in, so all is good. ;)

·
Registered
17,772 Posts
Very cool!

·
Registered
28,525 Posts
Cool story frank, now post some pics you phuckstik !

·
Put Custom Title HERE!...
56,427 Posts
Awesome!...
I'm building an era correct '64 Nova Gasser for a street (Nostalgia Drag) car too!...

·
Aviation Section
25,563 Posts
Neat! Thanks for sharing that with all of us Frank. Dave

·
Pin-Up Girl In Progress
29,154 Posts
Awesome! Let us know when both are published so we can read all about it in both publications!!!

·
Super Moderator
46,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heading out, 5 am Saturday morning,...at the gas station.

·
Super Moderator
46,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the staging lanes......

·
Super Moderator
46,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
15,876 Posts
That's a beautiful car. Congrats

·
Super Moderator
46,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very cool!
You caught an awesome break!
Way to make candy out of cat shit.
Any picts please?!?
Cool story frank, now post some pics you phuckstik !
Awesome!...
I'm building an era correct '64 Nova Gasser for a street (Nostalgia Drag) car too!...
Neat! Thanks for sharing that with all of us Frank. Dave
Awesome! Let us know when both are published so we can read all about it in both publications!!!
very cool
That sure made up for the breakage! Congratulations!
That's a beautiful car. Congrats
Very nice!
You do some beautiful paint work Frank, very nice!
Thanks guys,...and girl. ;)

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I'm putting together a 9" center for a friend of mine this morning and while I'm working on it, he told be about a beautiful 55 that blew up his 9" on the starting line. I'm guessing it was you, small world! Car is beautiful.

·
Super Moderator
46,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm putting together a 9" center for a friend of mine this morning and while I'm working on it, he told be about a beautiful 55 that blew up his 9" on the starting line. I'm guessing it was you, small world! Car is beautiful.
Yep. It was weird, and everyone who looked at it said the same thing we did. They've never seen one blow like this. The front plate of the housing broke,...tore right out. The pinion was still attached to the driveshaft, yoke, bolts, all good.

It was a proven drag car rear end, it was in an IROC Camaro drag car that did 10.50s at about 120,...with a glide that was shifted at well over 8500.

We're thinking it had to have a crack, that went unnoticed, and being this 55 is a stick car, on that super sticky track,...when that car was gonna hook,.....the weak link showed itself.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts