Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read on here that an alternator should not slow a car down and the reasoning makes sense.However on my junk (very slow only 7.95 in 1/8th) it will consistantly slow the car a tenth.Belt on with alt unpluged will pick up.1 any ideas why? I can't see it pulling that much power unless something is wrong.Only loads are water pump, fuel pump and ignition box.Is it just the way it is or am I missing something?I wouldn't even worry about it but the bracket I want to run must dial under 8.0 and with the alt she just won't consistantly do it.

·
Registered
15,086 Posts
Verify that it isn't WAY overcharging. Many years ago, I had a regulator go bad and the alternator was stuck on full field. It was charging at like 18 volts. I didn't discover this til I put a voltmeter across the battery terminals. Since then, I've always had a voltmeter on the car.

It caused my car to slow down quite a bit also. It also was boiling the battery, but I didn't notice because the battery was in a case, in the trunk. Take care. Tom Worthington.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have noticed a problem with the battery appearing to be overcharging.(mess in the battery box) will check with a voltmeter and see whats going on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts