Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys. Pretty cool place ya'll have here. I found the YB when I was searching for something else golf cart related and came across the YB golf cart races so I thought I'd join in and show off my golf cart stuff.

I got my first cart a few years ago just to run around my neighborhood and immediately started trying to figure out how to make it faster. We use this for a pit cart now. '07 EZGO. 48 volts, all air suspension with onboard compressor and tank and a bunch of custom stuff, roll cage, bumpers etc... that my buddy and I built for it. Runs 43mph.

That just wasn't fast enough so I bought a rolling chasssis drag cart from a guy in Florida that used to build these chassis. 90" wheebase, all 4130. Golf cart rear end. Running junior dragster wheels and tires, rack etc.. Has Wilwood brake pedal and m/c with atv calipers and custom disks. Was set up to carry 12 - PC680 batteries for 144 volts.

Here's what we started with...

My buddy Bob that built the custom stuff for the pit cart is an aircraft fab guy in real life and the dude can make just about anything out of a piece of metal so I enlisted him to do his magic on the drag cart as well. He's done lots of chassis stuff for me in the past for string of Pro street cars that we built in the 80's and 90's. Bob fabbed structure onto the existing drag cart chassis for more batteries and such and built a custom body from .040 aluminum and mounts for the golf cart bodywork. We used the stock front cowl and rear body sections and just modified them to fit.

Here's the new rear chassis work...

And the body being fabbed...

Here's the electronics going in. The left side pod holds the fuse box, traction pack fuse and contactors along with the PC680 that runs the electronics. The center section of the chassis right behind the driver compartment holds 12 - PC680's. The controller is a Manzanita Micro Zilla 300volt/1000amp unit that we ran in 2013.

Here's everything together for the drive system. 4 additional 680's are mounted in the right side pod for 192 volts total. The cart weighs 635 lbs. in this configuration.

We run a custom golf cart motor that's direct drive.

And here's some shots of the finished product the way we ran it in 2013...

We run the 1/8th only. Best passes were 8.31 @ 79 and 8.47 @ 80. We're going to a 348 volt/2000amp controller for 2014 and upping the voltage to 240 so we'll basically have twice the power that we had in 2013. The cart will weigh 710 lbs in this configuration. I have the additional batteries mounted and the controller ordered so should be able to do some driveway test hits in the next couple of weeks.

Here's the new battery configuration. Now packing 21 - PC680-s including the 1 for the controller.

Here's some pics taken by the track photographer at Ozark Raceway Park.

Here's a couple of vids.

We bracket race and lots of times we are against stock carts so here you can see what it's like to wait for 20+ seconds for the green. :rolleyes: This is from the OP Gas vs Electric Cart Shootout at Ozark Raceway Park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJa4wmTnjx8&list=UUfEcLerBL87Qv0RvFxVPkNQ&feature=player_detailpage

And the GoPro from our first ever 80 mph pass at Tulsa Raceway Park. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_E65abcWMM0

It's not the world's fastest or anything and I don't own any Guiness records. Some people say it's not a golf cart at all but we're having a ball racing it whatever it is. My wife of 29 years comes with me to every race. We are a team in life and racing and we're having a blast.

·
Under Construction
4,026 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Under Construction
4,026 Posts
Thanks. That a good looking cart you have! There's monster build threads for both of my carts on BGW. Just search for me. I'm TerryH over there too.
Thanks man, im trying to get the cart, my pickup, and my drag car to match when its all finished :cool: BGW is a great site for the carts, I'll look up your builds over there :rolleyes:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks guys. It's been a really fun project and quite challenging. I've never messed with this kind if voltage before. Trust me, it will get your attention if you aren't careful. We hope to go 7's and 90's in 2014 but we will have to wait and see. This much added power is either going to go fast, tear up all our stuff or scare the crap out of me or perhaps some combination of the three. Lol.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Wicked, been eyeballing your cart in your avatar for a few weeks now. Looks like a blast, I keep getting the itch to build a race cart for our annual golf cart race in September. We have cut our race down to '330 as most carts are so slow the timing system resets before they hit the 1/8 lol.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wicked, been eyeballing your cart in your avatar for a few weeks now. Looks like a blast, I keep getting the itch to build a race cart for our annual golf cart race in September. We have cut our race down to '330 as most carts are so slow the timing system resets before they hit the 1/8 lol.
Thanks!! I've watched the YB cart race videos. I assmue that all the fast cars are gas? Would be kinda cool to put together a really fast electric one for that race. Wonder what I could get mine to run if I geared it for the 330?? Hmmm...

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is badass, good on you and your wife sharing in the fun in all this.
Thanks!! It took us most of 2013 to get the you do this and I'll do that ironed out at the track but we had it worked out pretty well by the last race. To be honest, I'm not interested in racing if she's not with me. We are a team. I'm very blessed to have a supportive wife.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The new phone books are here!!! The new phone books are here!!!...oh wait....not that but there is a 348 volt / 2000 amp controller in the house. :D

Double the power should be double the fun. :smt115

It's a monster. Package weighed 39.9 lbs. $20 bill for comparison.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the new controller and computer installed. The only catch is.... it won't run. :rolleyes:

I've been around and around everything over and over again. The computer and the controller lose communication the instant that it sees throttle input. Looks like I apparently got a bad brand new $5k controller. Sending it back to the manufacturer now. That's racin' I guess.

Anyway, here's some pics of the new parts and done wiring. Was hoping to be doing dry hops in the driveway for Christmas but I guess not. :(

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Never knew electric carts had this kind of a following.
Yeah, wer're eat up with it. Perhaps I've just had the crap shocked out of me one toooo many times.

There are gas carts that race also but the electric carts are faster by a pretty good margin. Most of the gas guys run high 8's or low 9's. Several electric carts in the mid 8's and there are some that have even run 6's but those guys don't seem to come out and race. They just post numbers and go back home and won't come to the races where the rest of us are. I'm in it because I love to race and the challenge of the electrics really appealed to me. It's been fun but 240 volts will get your attention if your finger...or whatever...is in the wrong place. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 185 Posts